What frightens you more?

Nightshade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would rather be bitten than have another escape.
My OBT sling escaped last winter and I killed it trying to recapture it. It sucked.
One of my 3 G. roseas has taken a snap at me, but I've never been full out bitten and envenomated before. I'm not eager to experience it, but I would rather have it happen to me than my boyfriend, or my family while I was still living with them.

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My biggest fear, would deffinately be my boyfriend getting bit. He loves them as much as me, but I swear he's allergic to the most ridiculous things. he's allergic to cold/cold water, and swells up like mad. he's alergic to misquitos, he got bit by one the othe day on his knee, and it swelled up from the middle of his thigh to the middle of his shin... And he has to go to the hospital and have surgery everytime he gets bitten by a normal house/garden spider.
If he got bitten by a T, I think he would exlpode and exploding boyfriends is not a very good thing.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Rain: I've read a few posts here and in other locations indicating that T venom cannot trigger a histamine response (The throat swelling, potentially fatal response people get from bees, fire ants, etc.) I'm not absolutely sure that it's true but there seems to be some science supporting that point. Urty hairs probably light him up like crazy though, eh?

Maybe you could slip an OBT in his shoe and see if he has a reaction? All in the name of science of course;)

Tuishimi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Good thread...

...Well, I am definitely afraid of being bitten, not of the pain, but of reacting badly from being startled and hurting the spider. :( I've been bitten by a very large wolf spider, stung by wasps, had my lip bitten clear through by my cat once, etc. I can't imagine it would hurt much more than that.

I got hairs kicked at me for the first time the other day (by my littlest aphonopelma who, while he/she doesn't seem bitey, definitely gets that abdomen in the air) and that had me worried but I never felt any after effect.

I was afraid of my biggest Aphonopelma, one I collected, because she seems really skittish. But, I had her in the tub yesterday while cleaning her temporary container, and when I went to put her back in, she was like a big floppy dog... I would push her and push her and she would just move one leg at a time. No aggression or flicking.

The other thing I fear is one of them escaping because we have a new kitten who just wants to attack everything in the house, including our other cat, dogs, parrots and our feet. I am sure he would go after a tarantula. :(

I am also afraid of doing something wrong while caring for them, and killing them. And like others have mentioned, I worry about molts. I think everytime one of my spiders molts I will worry.