What are the slowest or nicest tarantulas?

Estein

Arachnoknight
I would definitely consider skittishness a defense. By definition, defense is a method of protecting oneself or a capability of resisting attack. Fleeing from stimuli that are perceived as threatening is an extremely common defensive strategy. Skittishness is reactive in tarantulas, yes--but also defensive.

cold blood

Staff member
I would definitely consider skittishness a defense. By definition, defense is a method of protecting oneself or a capability of resisting attack. Fleeing from stimuli that are perceived as threatening is an extremely common defensive strategy. Skittishness is reactive in tarantulas, yes--but also defensive.
Absolutely its a defense...but fleeing isn't defensive. Its a matter of fight or flight, fleeing isn't defensive, standing your ground, biting, posturing, etc, are on the other end and are a "defensive" defense, perceived by some as "aggressive" at times.

Estein

Arachnoknight
Absolutely its a defense...but fleeing isn't defensive. Its a matter of fight or flight, fleeing isn't defensive, standing your ground, biting, posturing, etc, are on the other end and are a "defensive" defense, perceived by some as "aggressive" at times.
This idea would definitely find support from a purely semantic point of view, but fleeing is still considered a "defensive adaptation" (as are camouflage and alarm calls, which wouldn't necessarily be considered "defensive" by a colloquial definition) when it comes to the natural sciences.

That said, I definitely agree that not every defense will be perceived as aggressive by the observer.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
As far as A. seemanni temperament goes... well... here's mine earlier today. I took his water dish away cause he filled it with substrate and I thought I'd be nice and refill it with water and give him some more dirt to dig in. This was the thanks that I got :rofl:

How dare you human, to take my precious artwork away from me! I laboured all night to make my substrate model, to be glorious in my creativity, and you take it away and dump it! :D

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
As far as A. seemanni temperament goes... well... here's mine earlier today. I took his water dish away cause he filled it with substrate and I thought I'd be nice and refill it with water and give him some more dirt to dig in. This was the thanks that I got :rofl:

It looks like he is threatposing so hard he's falling over on his back XD.

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
Also i'd say it varies with individuals. i have several Brachypelma sp. like albopilosum, smithi, emilia, albiceps and all if them are flighty. my albiceps likes to run all over the place, smithi and albo run to their hide when opening the enclosure.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Tarantulas survived for hundreds of millions of years by being "skittish". It's wired in so they can stay alive.

Steve halward

Arachnopeon
I would lean towards e.campestratus, mine calmly walks out the viv onto the shelf and has a wander where she wants,she would easily walk on me if i chose to but im happy just to see her wander for a while, nearly always settles in the same spot for 30 mins or so..my cats dont even bother her...