What are the slowest or nicest tarantulas?

Luke092601

Arachnopeon
So I am looking to get a nee tarantula and was wondering what are some slow/nice/docile tarantulas? They can look bland or really cool, I have on my list (can't remember the scientifc names)

Honduran Curly Hair
Venezuelan Sun Tiger
G. Pulchra
B. Smithi
Indian Ornamental
P. Metallica
Aphonopelma seemani (i think i spelled that right)

Any of those nice/docile? I know most Brachyphelma and Grammastolas are nice any cool one too or ones that are cool to own? Thanks

cold blood

Staff member
So I am looking to get a nee tarantula and was wondering what are some slow/nice/docile tarantulas? They can look bland or really cool, I have on my list (can't remember the scientifc names)

Honduran Curly Hair
Venezuelan Sun Tiger
G. Pulchra
B. Smithi
Indian Ornamental
P. Metallica

Any of those nice/docile? I know most Brachyphelma and Grammastolas are nice any cool one too or ones that are cool to own? Thanks
You have 3 listed that are good ones. G. pulchra, B. smithi and B. albopilosum (curly hair).

Seemani can have an attitude, and they burrow a lot. P. irminia (sun tiger) is one of the faster, more defensive new worlds, also packing some of the strongest NW venom....plus they are exceptionally reclusive, making them a terrible beginner t.

P. metallica and P. regalis (indian ornamental) are from the same genus, Poecilotheria. The genus, like any Asian arboreal, are advanced species that carry medically significant venom. They're also ridiculously fast (like the sun tiger). Take these and anything Asian right out of the mix;)

Terrestrials is where you should start, and NW terrestrials to be specific. Aside from those 3 good ones, some others are G. pulchripes (a personal favorite and one of the best beginner ts), B. emelia, and T. cyaneolum (hard to find, but possibly the most docile t on the planet) are also great choices.

Another great one which is exactly what you want is Euthlus sp. red or yellow.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
@EulersK You got that video handy?
Perhaps, but CB beat me to the good advice!

To the OP, you've already got some good beginner choices. B. albopilosum ("Curly hair"), G. pulchra, B. smithi, and A. seemanni are all great choices... the others, not so much. Click me for some more choices that may tickle your fancy.

Luke092601

Arachnopeon
You have 3 listed that are good ones. G. pulchra, B. smithi and B. albopilosum (curly hair).

Seemani can have an attitude, and they burrow a lot. P. irminia (sun tiger) is one of the faster, more defensive new worlds, also packing some of the strongest NW venom....plus they are exceptionally reclusive, making them a terrible beginner t.

P. metallica and P. regalis (indian ornamental) are from the same genus, Poecilotheria. The genus, like any Asian arboreal, are advanced species that carry medically significant venom. They're also ridiculously fast (like the sun tiger). Take these and anything Asian right out of the mix;)

Terrestrials is where you should start, and NW terrestrials to be specific. Aside from those 3 good ones, some others are G. pulchripes (a personal favorite and one of the best beginner ts), B. emelia, and T. cyaneolum (hard to find, but possibly the most docile t on the planet) are also great choices.

Another great one which is exactly what you want is Euthlus sp. red or yellow.
Hey thanks for all the info and suggestions :) I'd say I am an intermidiate keeper. I own B. Vagans, G. Rosea and a GBB. Just looking for some new ones for February's reptile show. I've owned tarantulas before but I was looking to get back into the hobby, thanks

Luke092601

Arachnopeon
Perhaps, but CB beat me to the good advice!

To the OP, you've already got some good beginner choices. B. albopilosum ("Curly hair"), G. pulchra, B. smithi, and A. seemanni are all great choices... the others, not so much. Click me for some more choices that may tickle your fancy.
Thanks for all the info :) Yeah I knew some where a bit more aggressive than others but some are categorized into a category and it isn't most true for a lot. I've heard some P. Metallica are mean and fast and all but I've heard stories of some letting them be held and nice and all, some even not caring if you mess around in their cage with them in it. :)

cold blood

Staff member
Thanks for all the info :) Yeah I knew some where a bit more aggressive than others but some are categorized into a category and it isn't most true for a lot. I've heard some P. Metallica are mean and fast and all but I've heard stories of some letting them be held and nice and all, some even not caring if you mess around in their cage with them in it. :)
Anybody holding a P.metallica or ANY pokie, loses ALL credibility in the hobby instantly. Doing so is just plain stupid, regardless of the perceived attitude of the individual spider.

Mean and aggressive aren't the right words either as they don't have emotions and aren't out looking to attack anything that isn't prey....defensive is a better description...as is skittish for many.

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
I'd be wary of a B. albopilosum if I were you, in my experience, there is a LOT of variety between individuals of this species. My first ever T, Kirby, was a B. albo. I got her as a 1/2 inch specimen and after two years she's barely 2 inches, and is by far my most "docile" or "nice" spider I own. Aragog was my second T and I got her at about 2 inches, 2 years later and shes 5 inches and is definitely not a spider I could hold, will readily flick hairs. Nonetheless, one of my favorite species :D

Walker253

Arachnobaron

Honduran Curly Hair
Venezuelan Sun Tiger
G. Pulchra
B. Smithi
Indian Ornamental
P. Metallica

I take your post as having 2 parts, your question of opinions of docile and slow tarantulas. The second part showing your overall want list.
As others stated, the B albo., G pulchra, and B smithi (a little less so recommended due to some being known as hair kickers) are good for being relatively slow and docile. Question for others, Is the G puchra the most good natured T out there?
The A seemanni is rather feisty imo. Easy to keep, but a beginning gateway to more aggressive T's. I've had 2 and I'm not holding either. I'd rather hold my H gigas.
The rest on your list would identify you as having a screw loose if you chose to hold one of them.
Nice want list though
Now, tarantulas that I believe are slow and docile that aren't on your list:
A hentzi
A anax
B schroederi
E campestratus
Euthalus sp red
G pulchripes
P scofra

Any of those could be held on most days without worry of hairs getting kicked your way.
Happy hunting

Last edited:

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
I'd rather hold my H gigas.
Funny you say that, my MM H. gigas has chilled out so much recently, I was moving him around so I could measure him, and he was so calm I was tempted to just have him sit on my hand, would have been a much more accurate measurement! :rofl: He's much nicer than two of my Brachypelmas anyways...

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Funny you say that, my MM H. gigas has chilled out so much recently, I was moving him around so I could measure him, and he was so calm I was tempted to just have him sit on my hand, would have been a much more accurate measurement! :rofl: He's much nicer than two of my Brachypelmas anyways...
My female is pretty tame. I've never held her, but the guy I bought her from, did several times. I just don't feel the need. I'm more concerned with her getting spooked and bolting than biting. I've had my hands near her in her tank and she just sits there, chilled out. I rehoused her last night, digging her up. She gives me a look, like "Really? Well ok". She went right in the cup. I didn't even have the lid on when I transferred her. Hopefully I'll be able to see her in her burrow better in the new set up.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Eupalaestrus campestratus and Euathlus sp. Red are the most calm of my spiders. E. sp. Red is curious by nature and frequently decides to handle me ;). It is a fussy eater though, even though it's still a sling.
My E.campestratus eats everything.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Indian Ornamental
P. Metallica

Any of those nice/docile?
Careful with "Indian Ornamental/s" and P.metallica. Sometimes they aren't that docile, benign, easy and etc, and, depending according to their "religion" and beliefs, they can hide a Katar dagger for stab you or summon directly (when and only when pissed off to the point of no return) Karash Khan or Shynghay Khan... aka two of the ancient, forgotten, Altaic Shaman Gods of Death.

You don't want that... so take my advice :)

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd be wary of a B. albopilosum if I were you, in my experience, there is a LOT of variety between individuals of this species. My first ever T, Kirby, was a B. albo. I got her as a 1/2 inch specimen and after two years she's barely 2 inches, and is by far my most "docile" or "nice" spider I own. Aragog was my second T and I got her at about 2 inches, 2 years later and shes 5 inches and is definitely not a spider I could hold, will readily flick hairs. Nonetheless, one of my favorite species :D
I second that. Bought a cca 5 cm DLS B.albo this saturday and she's quite a kicker.

Estein

Arachnoknight
I'll throw in another vote for G. pulchripes. Good looking spiders with a pretty calm disposition.

basin79

ArachnoGod
B.Smithi. Buy a female juvenile or adult and be confident that it will be one of the best decisions you make in life. They're hardy, long lived and stunning.

Haemus

Arachnosquire
+1 to the G. pulchripes. I have two, and both are very calm and slow. They're voracious eaters compared to my B. smithi or G. pulchra however, so they're quite fast and not so calm in that sense lol

mistertim

Arachnobaron
My E. sp red is easily my most calm spider. My B. smithi is pretty calm but can be temperamental and moody at times. Another that's actually quite calm in general is my P. sazimai though she she was very skittish when she was younger and I first got her. That's one thing to remember.....temperaments can change not only from spider to spider but from molt to molt.

Oreo

Arachnocookie
I think most dwarf species are a good choice since their size makes them easier to manage. If that's what you're thinking when you say slow/docile.

Otherwise, G. pulchripes is generally a safe choice.