Wastelands of Rialto, CA, USA, dial up warning :)

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
just think like a skink....
:D

Once I thunk like a skunk, I stunk.

how do you catch the skink? its very fast here!!!!!:8o :8o :wall: :wall:
We were discussing this subject when staring down some lizards as they stared back at us. One decent method ...Go to a sports shop and get a small fishing net ...or perhaps a big bait net. Then find some lightweight aluminum tube and extend it. Methods of netting will probably be different for different terrain and each specie. I could see two people both armed with a net double teaming a skink ...basically scare it into your partners net. Maybe?

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have always found the "look at the birdy" method works pretty well.. just distract them with one hand in front and then snag em from behind.

twirl and kill

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
so uhh...cacoseraph,when is the next monthly h&h? even if its on a sunday i might still be able to make it.

SnakeManJohn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Awesome finds, that place reminds me of The Hills Have Eyes...creepy. I have skinks that live ALL around my house, usually when I mow the grass I'd find like 5 just running past me lol.

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Along the river there were two obvious species of wolf(like) speed demons. This one may be a fisher ...that was what we called it that day anyway.
I think your first guess was correct...Wolf.

Lycosids have 3 rows of eyes in a 4 2 2 pattern from front to back, while fishing spiders should have 2 rows of eyes in a 4 4 pattern. Your pic looks to a be a 4 2 2.

Lots of the smaller spp. of Lycosids are capable and often do walk on water like fishers.

BTW if you hunt up any more Kukulcania i happen to know someone who really wants a few ( Hmmm who could that be......ME!)

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The 29TH!!!! You mean I have to wait 3 more weeks until I take the next virtual Waste Lands outing. :wall:

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If all falls in place, Ill be there.

BTW.. gunslinger, thanks for the ID help with the wolf. I forget this stuff faster than I can learn it. :? :D Definately a wolf spider that fills the niche that Dolomedes normally would. We only spotted them on or close to the water.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If all falls in place, Ill be there.

BTW.. gunslinger, thanks for the ID help with the wolf. I forget this stuff faster than I can learn it. :? :D Definately a wolf spider that fills the niche that Dolomedes normally would. We only spotted them on or close to the water.
i'm curious if the grey spiders on the water and the brown spiders on the land are the same species now

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Get some pics of them when you go out next. True spiders are definetly my fav. Many species of wolf spider live in close association with water, like genus Pirata, and can often be found walking on water more like what would be expected of a Dolomedes.

And I have to say that is one freakin' sexy Kukulcania.:clap:

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i'm curious if the grey spiders on the water and the brown spiders on the land are the same species now
I have both.(had ...herberti took out the fisher wannabe while doing a photoshoot ...oops ...no, not the spider seen being fed in the vid...actually that one is more like the land flavor we found and was found in my yard when looking for feeders)
The "land" flavor one lost both front legs sometime during transfers, capture or didnt have em, but is well enough to have produced a sack. Ill see if I can take some shots of her ..maybe tonight.. and then we should be able to compare.

And I have to say that is one freakin' sexy Kukulcania.
I have hybernalis also, but the wasteland girl is my fav of the two. I still have not ID'd it though :? ...feel free to do so... ;) :D
We passed up one other during the hunt ...I was going to take it but it had just molted ...probably the night before...and I thought it was better off NOT in a dixie cup. Cacoseraph seems to have the nose for Kukulcania. He found two, I'd probably have walked away never knowing they were there. :D

Last edited:

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
We used to catch lizards with a long blade of grass with a slip knot/noose deal on one end.... Lizards were never phased much by the grass.... Then scare them, and they do the rest.... Won't work for the big ones though....

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Id wager to guess K. arizonica, dont think there are too many choices in the genus. COuld be wrong though. If you guys get a handful sometime (especially if you manage both sexes) I know someone who would be quite interested :D

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
ok, i finally processed and uploaded the pics from the group hunt. amusingly enough, i can't see any of the pics to know what exactly is there, as my work blocks photobucket. heh.

the trip was really fun. we parked by my Hallowed Scorpion Grounds and found a scorp inside of ten minutes. i love it when a plan comes together. *bites his cigar*

i took pics of random stuff this time.

we found a big beetle grub under a board in a little chamber it had made for itself. the grub would probably be almost 3"/8cm if it was stretched out.

zoom

i think this is an in situ of the spider eating a male L. hesperus

zoom
here is buthus' thread. pirate spider. sweet.
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=90555

i grabbed a snake i found. from looking it up i guess it might be some kind of coachwhip. dunno. aside from all the crapping it was the picture of a perfect snake.

zoom

zoom

i'm not the only one who catches tigers by hand :D this is Twirl and kill.

apparently it wasn't a very good year for the snakes. i found this and another mummy/skeleton somewhat close to the Hallowed Grounds.

zoom

p.s. if any of the pix are screwed up i will try to figure out a way to fix them

Last edited:

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Id wager to guess K. arizonica, dont think there are too many choices in the genus. COuld be wrong though. If you guys get a handful sometime (especially if you manage both sexes) I know someone who would be quite interested :D
Oh... yeah, thats one that I thought it may be. got to find a pic!

Andrew... I seem to remember you taking around a million pics ...show some more! :D

Edit: oh, I see what u did.. split the two areas up into seperate threads. Sorry, didnt catch on too fast.

Last edited:

twirl and kill

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
looks like ill have to miss this H&H,cant get the 29th off ,called in sick a couple times already:wall:

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
looks like ill have to miss this H&H,cant get the 29th off ,called in sick a couple times already:wall:
I can never plan that far ahead... but I want to go bad enough to pretend I can.
We could kidnap you. They couldnt blame you for missing work if masked, armed invert hunters took you (seemingly) against your will. ;)