Want to be 'T' owner

Seath

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone.
I have been doing has much research has possible before I make my first "T" purchase. And have a few newbie questions before I buckle down and finally make a purchase. ** read this has about 4 months of reading and pondering how to offer a safe and healthy enviroment for my soon to be new friend **.

I guess my 1st question would be about substrate, I am really wanting a juv. B.smithi. And I have read countless differnt opnions about what I should use. I am just looking for suggestions, not to start some war of opnions here =p.

And my second more important question is, where I live I have a better chance of finding a basket full of money left on my doorstep then I would finding a pet store around here ( South Bend, Indiana) that carries trantulas. So seeing how I am soon to be new to the hobby. I have no clue to on-line dealer reputations. I have looked at a few sites ( ie Arachnocentric's, E-Spiderworld ect ect) but I am unsure on reliability. Well thank you in advance for your time..

Jason (seath)

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When i had my B Smithi it was the only spider I had for a long time. I had potting soil as substrate with some bark chips on teh top and some moss in the corner. That worked well.

I recommend Kelly Swift as a salesman of spiders.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
B. smithi is a great first choice for a t. Hardy and easy to keep. Mine lives in a critter keeper with dry peat moss for substrate, a water dish, and a piece of cork bark for a hide. I only mist when I know it's about to molt.

As for dealers, look at the Dealer Reviews forum and read up on people's experiences with them. There are some really great dealers online who are reliable about shipping and have top-quality spiders at decent prices.

Good luck! Keep us updated.

Al Muoio

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
First T

I would suggest a B. smithi or B. emilia. Both of these T's are hardy, easy to keep, and most of all will be displayed more than other terrestrial (they dont stay burrowed and out of sight most of the time). If you only had one, I'm sure you would like to see it! Good luck.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Swift only ever carries hatchlings, you should consider these other vendors who carry juveniles for only a little bit more money, better to start with

In this case, I would actually recommend Arachnocenter. Paul Becker sometimes may not know the less common species from a wolf spider, but he does know exactly what a B. smithi is (he can even spell it right 19 times out of 20 on his list ;)) He always a wide variety of sizes at good prices. Darrin Vernier of Golden Phoenix Exotica also usually carries juveniles at fair prices. And if money is not of critical importance, I have yet to deal with anyone as good as John Hoke of e-Spiderworld - although you'll pay $15 more for the same sized smithi from him the service is tight and professional.

Much better to spend $40-$60 and get a 2" B. smithi that looks like a smithi and even looks like a small tarantula for your first T, then spend $22 for a 1/4" bald sling which won't even begin to resemble a tarantula, let alone a smithi for more than a year.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Hey there,

Just out of curiousity, how old are you, and do you drive? There is a dealer in downtown Chicago by the name of Art Cerda who posts on this board sometime, and I got my juvenile B. smithi from him at a VERY reasonable price. Failing driving, I know he ships T's as well. If you have some serious reservations about sending a tarantula through the mail (which alot of people seem to) I drive close to south bend almost every week for work (I live in chicago and have a field service job with accounts in Valparaiso and Merrilville) and if you wanted to work something out with Art, I'd be happy to drop off the T for you. (he's ten minutes from my house) regardless of how you want it shipped, I'd wholeheartedly reccommend him. If you look under Dealer Reviews on this forum, many others will say the same thing.

Bill

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
B Smithi is a good choice. That was my first spider. They are very beautiful creatures. I took a chance (because I didn't know any better at the time) and bought her for $40 at Petco, already about 4 inches or so. Now I think she was worth it. But I think I would agree with CM and recommend someone like Arachnocenter. His prices seem to be fairly reasonable. You could also consider something like a rosehair if you wanted to play it safe and not make a huge $$ investment. Those go for like $4 at Arachnocenter. They are very inexpensive, and also beautiful, tho not quite as much so as B smithi.
<--Pic under my name is my $40 Petco B Smithi :D

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Eh, I know a lot of newbies like to handle their spiders, so personally, I'd suggest staying away from B. Smithi or any of 'B's (ok, I admit it, I can't spell it =p)

I'd say go with the G. rosea or G. Pulchra if you can find it.

Itching sucks.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
And smithis aren't a "hand-T" why? Good gods man, the smithi practically IS the reason anyone ever had the balls to try and handle other Ts.

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I agree with Valael, although I would recommend against handling your tarantula, because it really isn't good for the spider nor does the spider usually like it. They really aren't a hands-on type of pet.
But if you're hellbent on holding it, I don't suggest a brachypelma either. My b. smithi tries to hair me every time i get a finger near her. She does NOT want to be touched! On the other hand, two of my three rosehairs let me hold them. I have pictures of myself holding one on my arm, while the other one allowed me to pick her up to transfer to a bigger container. The third rose likes to have her feet played with. Go figure! :rolleyes:

Seath

Arachnopeon
Thanks !

Thanks everyone for your input. I have just finished getting the tank ready, And am working has I write this to pin down a dealer. I am going to go with a B. smithi, just because I really like the coloring, and the size and temperment seems like a good starter T. Also they seem more forgiving to newbie mistakes, which I pray I don't make, but is probally unavoidable. I will post when my new guest arrives and let everyone know his/her name =D

thanks again !!
Jason (seath)

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hehe...Good choice! Just don't count on being able to handle him or her, or you should expect to be haired. That's all mine does. But I love her to death! B Smithi is my favorite T, so far. :D

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I can't handle my B smithi since she is a flicking machine! However, that is not to say to avoid them, I'm sure some of them are fine.
Great species....and great color.
I have a B emilia sling, and I'm hoping that I can get it used to handling so it does not do the urticating thing at me. We'll see, I'm sensitive to Brachy hairs though!

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The "hairibility" of any spider varies. I've got one smithi that kicks anytime I'm near, the other is a lump that will crawl on your hand and never so much as kick hair one. You really can't know how much any particular spider will kick hairs. I do, however, agree that Brachypelma tend towards it more than Grammostola.

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a B emilia sling, and I'm hoping that I can get it used to handling so it does not do the urticating thing at me.
I'm kinda hoping for the same thing. I have a b. emilia sling and two b. albopilosum hatchlings who i eventually hope to have accustomed to my being near. I would like to be able to handle them if need be. However, I also have two b. vagans, and both are hardcore burrowers and will run if I so much as turn on the overhead light. They are going to be more of a challenge, if I am to ever hold them.

As for CM, man, I am jealous. I wish I could hold my b smithi but she really hates it. She always tries to hair me. None of my roses ever have haired me, even as much contact as I have made with them.

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

yeah i have a b. smithi thats about 3 inches thats pretty calm, dos'nt hair flick just chills on my hand, i've had rosies that were psychotic and wold'nt let me get close to them without rearing up, guess it all depends on the t i say---Jeff=D

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have two B. smithi. T's. I can handle one without any problems. The other flicks hair, but I can still hold it. Once I pick it up its Ok.

I guess it gets spooked when I open the cage and stick my hand in there. I make sure to have on my safty glasses and wash my hands when I'm done. Keep in mine, I seldom hold any of my T's.

E

chaset

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my B. Vagans

My B. Vagans does not flick at me, and usually walks on to my hand when i put it in to the cage, she is the most friendly spider i have ever had. she gives me a really hard time when i put her back in and will usually stare at me. Its funny because when i bought her, I was warned that she was quite an angry spider.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I can't decide if you're gonna go to a Hell where a booming voice will say : You Spread A feeling Like THIS for these animals, DO you Like the Feeeeel?? And then you are caught in a big glass terrarium,
oor,
that you simply have a fun job and the poor T's minds aren't filled with apathy or fear or utter boredom most of the time in captivity, and that you'll go to heaven for not being cruel to the things.

Hmm, now this is how serious I am with my OOP assignment specs..'Don't forget to use friends' hey, I don't use my friends