vinegaroon M. giganteus Egglaying Q's.

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Amazing photos! especialy the 1st one is a joy for the eyes of a vinegaroon-phile!

I hope my female will do the same too.

Steven any updates on yours?

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
vardoulas said:
Steven any updates on yours?
lucanidae said:
Mine just ate all of the babies off her back :confused: ....for no reason at all. But now she is feeding well and active, seems as though she will survive.....
:( :( :(
mine has dropped her eggsac a few days back and now she's out of her burrow without eggs,... i also don't know why :?

bummer

seems Mike is doing the right stuff,...
looking very good ! :worship: :worship:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Maybe not enough moisture? Wonder why she ate them... I go to areas these can be found in. Around there it is desert with rocks, shrubs and cactus. When I had a few breed, there was allot of moisture in the room they made with no entrance or exit. They were locked in for months in 6 to 8 inches of sub. They all chose a rock to do this under. Allot of moisture didn't seem to bother them but, not enough,..seems like it would be a problem:confused: .

Goliath

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
vardoulas said:
Amazing photos! especialy the 1st one is a joy for the eyes of a vinegaroon-phile!

I hope my female will do the same too.
Thanks Nikos!:D I am still amazed how many there are, I have not gotten an exact count but there is 30+. Good luck with your female too.

Sorry to hear about your eggs Steven. That really stinks. It would seem that all conditions should have been correct for her to even drop the eggs. Usually not enough moisture causes a tight constriction of the membrane around the eggs, this is very visible. It did not look like that with yours, but no one can ever be sure what goes wrong. Lets hope it goes better this fall.

mike

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's normal for the membrane to look tight around the eggs as they get closer to hatching and should turn slightly pinkish.

Goliath

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yes you are right Galapoheros it is supposed to get tight toward the end, but in dry situations the membrane will become extremely tight early and cause the inner eggs to rupture. Thus producing a milky fluid that will wick it ways to be visible between the outer most layers of eggs. Here is usually when the female will eat the eggs, since they will most likely mold or dessicate anyways.

mike

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh, she ate them early? That's bad news. The membrane looks very fragile. With the ones I had, they were very, very careful not to let the egg sac touch anything. If it did and got a leak early on in development, I think she would eat the eggs. Ha, just more guessing.

Goliath

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think she did eat it pretty early with Steven's, I don't know exactly how far along they were. He could give a better estimate than I can. Mine did not let the eggsac touch anything either, she mostly stayed propped up with her abdomen up at an angle so as to keep the sac up. As you said though everything is guessing at this point.

mike

Last edited:

Goliath

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Seperated them out last night, final count is 44 healthy little roons. They are eating well on fruit flies and pinhead crickets. Mom is doing fine and chowing down on any food I put in her cage.

mike