Versicolor Sling Molt Problems

Stormsky

Arachnopeon
I really need advice on what to do here.

My C. Versicolor sling(less than an inch leg span) started molting early to mid Wednesday and is currently stuck in the molt. It has its entire body out and at least two legs, but the rest has been stuck for about 4 days now with no progress and I don't really know what to do for it at this point. This morning I made an ICU and put it inside hoping the excessive moisture would soften up the molt for it to slip the rest of the way out but 12 hours later, and I'm still not seeing any progress.

My only other thoughts on what to maybe try is first dripping water directly onto the molt to make it wet enough to slide out, then manual separation if it doesn't work. If neither work, I heard they can survive with only a few limbs until the next molt which would be the last resort.

I really don't want to lose the tarantula and any help or advice would be appreciated.

Here's the best picture I could get before the ICU JerKGon.jpg

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Nothing you can do at this stage it is a gonner. I have lost a few H. guttata slings this way in recent weeks :(

My condolences to you

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
well, the important parts are out. try extracting as much of the spiders legs as you can then cut the molt off. @cold blood had a avic sling survive with two legs before. id put it in a well vented cage on damp paper towel and try small prekilled prey in a few days.

cold blood

Staff member
well, the important parts are out. try extracting as much of the spiders legs as you can then cut the molt off. @cold blood had a avic sling survive with two legs before. id put it in a well vented cage on damp paper towel and try small prekilled prey in a few days.

Yeah, but I got to work freeing this little guy while the molt was still fresh. IME the longer you wait to free them, the lower survival rate....not that there's no hope, so good luck and keep trying. Does it move around ok or is it immobile?

I'd honestly rather deal with no legs than ones all twisted up.

Stormsky

Arachnopeon

Yeah, but I got to work freeing this little guy while the molt was still fresh. IME the longer you wait to free them, the lower survival rate....not that there's no hope, so good luck and keep trying. Does it move around ok or is it immobile?

I'd honestly rather deal with no legs than ones all twisted up.
I would have acted sooner, but when I asked elsewhere a couple days ago, I was told to keep up humidity and wait it out.
Surprisingly, it somehow manages to move around while stuck using the couple legs that it freed.(the two back legs)
When it comes to cutting the stuck legs, should I cut as close to the molt as possible and let it decide if it wants what remains? Also would I need superglue or something to seal the wounds?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I would have acted sooner, but when I asked elsewhere a couple days ago, I was told to keep up humidity and wait it out.
Surprisingly, it somehow manages to move around while stuck using the couple legs that it freed.(the two back legs)
When it comes to cutting the stuck legs, should I cut as close to the molt as possible and let it decide if it wants what remains? Also would I need superglue or something to seal the wounds?
they have a sphincter that will close off when the leg is removed. and yeah, the more of the leg left, the more tht will be regenerated every molt.

Stormsky

Arachnopeon
they have a sphincter that will close off when the leg is removed. and yeah, the more of the leg left, the more tht will be regenerated every molt.
Ok. Thanks for the help and info. I'm going to try removing it from the molt the best I can and hope it works out.

Stormsky

Arachnopeon
Ok. Thanks for the help and info. I'm going to try removing it from the molt the best I can and hope it works out.
Well that felt terrible... I feel like I mangled it but I managed to save 3 legs total and a couple nubs, though one of the legs may have hardened into a weird position. I'm hoping it makes it because some of the removals weren't nearly as clean as I'd hoped and it started acting a bit weird near the end. But it is out of its molt and back in the ICU, so I'm hoping it recovers.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I would not put it in icu. This species does not do well in those conditions. Just put it in its own enclosure next to the waterdish and leave it be. I had a C.versicolor sling coming out of a molt with only four legs. I fed it as often as it would eat and kept the temp a little higher. It molted ahead of schedule and regenerated all missing legs :)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
agreed, high humidity and low ventilation is a death sentence for avics.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I'm sorry for your loss :(
These things happen. No matter how well you care for them, there are always spiders who die for no apparent reason. :(