Versicolor Dead :(

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
I woke up this morning to my little guy curled up upside down in his water dish. The cork bark slab hot glued to the back fell forward and must have flung him into the front of the enclosure which is above the water dish. Apparently I didn't use enough glue although it held for 2 weeks.
Rest in peaceful blue fluffiness little guy. :(

Last edited:

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
how did a stationary enclosure shift enough to move a corkbark slab? sounds like the enclosure was dropped or moved around too much, if the specimen just moved the slab itsself it almost certainly wouldnt have hurt itsself with the shift, much less killed itsself.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
how did a stationary enclosure shift enough to move a corkbark slab? sounds like the enclosure was dropped or moved around too much, if the specimen just moved the slab itsself it almost certainly wouldnt have hurt itsself with the shift, much less killed itsself.
Read it again. The slab was glued to the wall vertically. The glue didn't hold and it fell forward.

lunarae

Arachnobaron
Was the wall glass? Unfortunately people really push hot glue as the answer for being the best and cheapest adhesive for DIY. But it is the worst with glass if it doesn't have other things set up to support it when the glue unadheres due to climate/temp changes. I had this happen to me with my avic as well. I switched to silicone when I try and adhere anything to glass now.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
Was the wall glass? Unfortunately people really push hot glue as the answer for being the best and cheapest adhesive for DIY. But it is the worst with glass if it doesn't have other things set up to support it when the glue unadheres due to climate/temp changes. I had this happen to me with my avic as well. I switched to silicone when I try and adhere anything to glass now.
Acrylic. It's a Jamie's enclosure.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Hot glue can be cheap and ineffective. Good for glueing fake plants to cork slab, terrible for glueing anything to glass.

I find it sometimes cant even hold a small plastic waterdish to cork slab.

Last edited:

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I have a couple of enclosures from Jamie's and haven't had a problem with glue from a glue gun. But I use high temp glue as well. Sorry your guy is dead. :(

lunarae

Arachnobaron
Yeah depending on how hot it is when you put it on it could do it I think. If the glue wasn't hot enough when first applied it wouldn't have adhered as strong. I haven't had as much problem with acrylic and hot glue, I've actually had to use a blow dryer a lot of the times to get it warm to pull it off to reuse an acrylic enclosure for something else. But then other times I've had it where things will pop right off the acrylic easily.

I'm really sorry for your loss. I got super lucky when it happened to mine, and it happened TWICE because I didn't realize what was happening with the glue, so I used hot glue again like a numb nuts and over night happened again. Then I used silicone and let it air out for a few days before putting our versi back in. It didn't fall again, but our versi had basically said 'screw that' and refused to web by it again.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
I used a mini glue gun and I moved it into a room that's 10 degrees warmer. That must have done it. :(

magicmed

Arachnobaron
I'm very sorry for your loss :(

I used a mini glue gun and I moved it into a room that's 10 degrees warmer. That must have done it. :(
Is this a possibility? I use a mini gun for my acrylic additions to sterlite. keep enclosures in 80 degrees room, hopefully I'm not risking a bad seem?

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Read it again. The slab was glued to the wall vertically. The glue didn't hold and it fell forward.
what im saying is it shouldn't have just fallen, hot glue works well on acrylic i just personally find it hard to believe the glue naturally gave way and tossed the slab. do you have any pictures? just confuses me is all

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
what im saying is it shouldn't have just fallen, hot glue works well on acrylic i just personally find it hard to believe the glue naturally gave way and tossed the slab. do you have any pictures? just confuses me is all
Well it did. A tarantula murderer didn't come into my apartment and shake it's enclosure. I can post a pic after work in 3 hours.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Well it did. A tarantula murderer didn't come into my apartment and shake it's enclosure. I can post a pic after work in 3 hours.
You never know, the feeder war progresses every day. I haven't heard of any cricket, worm, or roach activity in Pennsylvania, but they're training new stealth assassin's every day.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The results I've seen with hot glue (with hot temp glue too) for a plastic on plastic "bonding" of my water dishes to acrylic stands totally sucks.

How big was your T? I would imagine it would have to be a hard fling to render the T unable to move or kill it on impact (sounds very unlikely on the latter).

I've seen Avics fall from higher distances and survive, so this is puzzling. Anything is possible.

lunarae

Arachnobaron
Chances are if when it fell the cork actually hit or landed on the T then bounced off it could have caused internal damage so it crawled away then ended up dying from that. At least that's what I see as being what could have happened.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
He was only 2 inches. My guess is the cork landed against the front of the acrylic with him on the cork.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
I never glue cork into aboreal cages. Using the inverted aboreal style enclosure I simply drill 1 hole in the top (technically the bottom) and then I get a 1,1/2 - 2 inch deck screw and thread it into the top of the cork, once it's started a bit I take out the screw put the cork bark in the enclosure and screw it together. I had watched my p Regalis clinging to its cork for dear life as the exact same thing happened. The glue let go while I was watching. Thankfully my spider was not injured. Sorry for your loss.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
He was only 2 inches. My guess is the cork landed against the front of the acrylic with him on the cork.
Ah I see. That's certainly surprising in some ways, and not in other ways. That's a shame.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
Ah I see. That's certainly surprising in some ways, and not in other ways. That's a shame.
Terribly surprising that it just so happened that the right half, where hes usually sitting, came down perfectly against the front of the enclosure instead of the left side. I broke the cork in half and glued two separate pieces.