Velvet Worm Vivarium - Epiperipatus barbadensis

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here is an extensive care sheet I created. It still requires some edits, but it features my experience with these velvet worms and the knowledge I managed to acquire.

Attachments

Cresto

Arachnopeon
So, anything new? In about 4 weeks, the spider shop uk is selling some of the New Zealand species, probably peripatoides novilizealindae.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So, anything new? In about 4 weeks, the spider shop uk is selling some of the New Zealand species, probably peripatoides novilizealindae.
Nothing much to add. Colony is still going strong and I've started sending small groups out to other people in Canada.

The species they offer will need a wine cooler or something similar to thrive. They can only tolerate temperatures above 20'C for a limited time. Or at least need a large drop in temperature at night. Wish they were easier to keep.

MoranDisciple

Arachnosquire
Here is an extensive care sheet I created. It still requires some edits, but it features my experience with these velvet worms and the knowledge I managed to acquire.
Reading that care sheet made me want a colony so bad... I had no clue they were communal and the care is less intensive than some people on this thread make it out to be. Sadly I don't think any hamburg reptile show vendors will be selling these any time soon

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Reading that care sheet made me want a colony so bad... I had no clue they were communal and the care is less intensive than some people on this thread make it out to be. Sadly I don't think any hamburg reptile show vendors will be selling these any time soon
I do have a small export heading to Europe in May/start of June. The gentleman receiving them may bring pre-purchased velvet worms to the June Hamm show for distribution. Import fees would be arranged with him though.

MoranDisciple

Arachnosquire
I do have a small export heading to Europe in May/start of June. The gentleman receiving them may bring pre-purchased velvet worms to the June Hamm show for distribution. Import fees would be arranged with him though.
The June show is the only one this year I can't go to. Will there be an export at the August show?

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do you reckon there will be Velvets for sale at the show? I would love to get my hands on the New Zealand species again but the few sites that list them seem to be forever out of stock...
My Epiperipatus barbadensis will be available, but only for pick up and not for open sale.. I will be exported them to a gentleman that will be at the show and all velvet worms must be pre-purchased before I ship. I can't guarantee live arrival so there is a risk. However they have shipped well in the past when I imported them and when I shipped them out to others across Canada.

@AbraxasComplex
Ahh I see, do you think you will be selling more E. barbadensis in the future? I have experience with cool climate Onchophorans but it has always been my dream to keep the larger western species. I must say, my heart almost stopped when I saw your original post!

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A bunch are going out this summer, a few still available, and then I won't send any out until next year.

vyadha

Arachnosquire
Any ideas on whether or not these are available in the US? Just refurbished a wine fridge.

Any ideas on whether or not these are available in the US? Just refurbished a wine fridge.
You maybe able to get some Peripatoides from New Zealand, as far as Onychophora go they are the only ones that ever seem to come up for sale, although rarely at that. Also I cannot speak on the legality of I porting them as I have never heard of a breeder/importer in the US. Hopefully one day more species of these enigmatic inverts become available to capable hobbyists...

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
FYI....just listed some and I believe you are in So Cal. Feel free to check the FS add and PM for further discussion if interested. If not, my best to all.....

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
FYI....just listed some and I believe you are in So Cal. Feel free to check the FS add and PM for further discussion if interested. If not, my best to all.....
How do you care for them? Don't they require cooler temperatures?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
How do you care for them? Don't they require cooler temperatures?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

As I have a few different articles as well as personal experience I find it difficult to piece it all together here with trying to download all etc...Admittingly, I am not the best at keeping up with the technological advances. With that stated, you are local to me, see me at some of the shows, as well as have my personal contact information (I believe you have my card or price list with that information). If truly interested in aquiring some these beauties or knowing more then Please feel free to PM me, text, or call and we can go from there.

I will state Abraxas does provide a care sheet at the top of this page (pg.8) and you may want to read his experiences on his velvet worm species as I enjoyed the read. One interesting tidbit is that from the care sheet I read provided by the AB user it was stated in their specific specimens they found no way to determine sex other then size and live birth. From my research I have found in the particular species I have for sale the males can be determined in mating head to tail with the females as well as some other specific features on the males.

Their is also a fun article on my For Sale add as well that makes for a good read about their "Gak attack" if interested.

Hope this helps,

Joe

Last edited:

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
As I have a few different articles as well as personal experience I find it difficult to piece it all together here with trying to download etc...Admittingly, I am not the best at keeping up with the technological advances. With that stated, you are local to me, see me at some of the shows, as well as have my personal contact information (I believe you have my card or price list with that information). If truly interested in aquiring some these beauties or knowing more then Please feel free to PM me, text, or call and we can go from there.

I will state Abraxas does provide a care sheet at the top of this page (pg.8) and you may want to read his experiences as I enjoyed the read. One interesting tidbit is that from the care sheet I read provided by the AB user it was stated in their specific specimens they found no way to determine sex other then size and live birth. From my research I have found in the particular species I have for sale the males can be determined in mating head to tail with the females as well as some other specific features on the males.

Hope this helps,

Joe
I believe the species you have is different from the Epiperipatus barbadensis in this thread. You have Peripatoides novazelandae, which I believe is a species that does require cooler temps. E. barbadensis care will most likely differ at least in temperature requirements to what you carry, as E. barbadensis can be kept in common room temps.