Velvet Worm Vivarium - Epiperipatus barbadensis

Bob Lee

Arachnobaron
Me:
Velvet ants... someone else is also raising those wasps huh...
Wait a second
Wait a god damned second those things aren't velvet ants :eek::eek::eek:

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Wow, I would love to get some of those one day! Very, very cool! Are you selling some of the offspring?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So how/where did you find the people with the breeding project?
Wow, I would love to get some of those one day! Very, very cool! Are you selling some of the offspring?

Thanks,

Arthroverts
These guys I imported myself and have had 3 successful generations so far. However as they are so sensitive and I only have a medium sized group (I estimate about 2 dozen) I am only providing small breeding groups to researchers and entomology departments.

Cresto

Arachnopeon
Thanks, I am currently on the search for some. The only ones I could find for sale were at exotic pets UK. But other Ethan that I have had no luck. Would love some advice.

Thanks, Cresto

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Well, put me on the waiting list (if you have one) and let me know if you ever decide to start selling some to other hobbyists! Keep up the great work!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Bob Lee

Arachnobaron
Holy cow I just realized you are in Vancouver, I literally live right next to you lol (City-wise). If you manage to get a big colony going I'm willing to buy some. :angelic:

VelvetWorm

Arachnopeon
Hi all, hope no one will mind me posting this in an existing thread instead of starting a new one...I have a somewhat urgent situation and thought that this would be the best way to get advice from people who might know.

I live in Ecuador and found a velvet worm in my backyard today, about half a meter underground. I didn't know what it was so I set it aside until I could google it, and now I'm hoping it'll survive the night and that I can release it somewhere it'll have the best chance of survival.

I can't put it back where I found it because the hole it was in is filled with mostly sand. I'm sure it'll die if I leave it there. Right now it's in a 5 liter plastic bucket filled with moist, loamy soil and topped with grass clippings. I put in a few pill bugs in case it will eat those, and buried the bucket to it's soil line (to keep an even temperature) then covered it completely with another upturned bucket to help retain humidity and keep potential predators out.

I could try releasing it in my front yard where I have a water tap that drips just enough to keep the soil always moist and there's plenty of plants to provide coverage, or I could take it to the stream that's half a block away and try to find it a nice rotting log to place it near. Any advice? I'm thinking a rotting log would be the best bet, but thought I'd ask for help first. TIA

Cresto

Arachnopeon
I think the rotting log would be the best bet. A moist place with hiding places and food is good.

VelvetWorm

Arachnopeon
I think the rotting log would be the best bet. A moist place with hiding places and food is good.
Thanks for your input! I was able to find a place near the river with a fallen log and lots of leaves. Hopefully the little guy will do ok now.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow. Beautiful set-up and congratulations on breeding them. I'd love to see these get well established in the hobby.

VelvetWorm

Arachnopeon
I did! Just posted a couple in my thread ("Finding a velvet worm in the wild") so as to not derail yours any further. :)

Cresto

Arachnopeon
I was also wondering in if, when you have an established colony, are willing to ship the into the U.S. If so I will be willing to pay whatever your price is. I understand how long you have tried how much money you have spent to get these.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was also wondering in if, when you have an established colony, are willing to ship the into the U.S. If so I will be willing to pay whatever your price is. I understand how long you have tried how much money you have spent to get these.
Nothing new other than lots of babies. A seperate group with 10 adults has produced 20 young in just 6 months. So I am quite happy.

As for shipping to the US these are not controlled in Canada so I believe I can export. However I do not think the laws in the US allow for their import. Of course you are always free to research and send me the legislation. Though with such an obscure animal they probably won't be defined and fall under a very general, unrelated blanket ban. I had to write a letter to our department here in Canada (CFIA) that handles legislation and inspection of live animal imports as there was no direction or information available. You may have to do the same.

That being said this whole project isn't a profit making venture for me. I have only supplied groups to a local breeder and a researcher across the country. In time I may consider supplying them commercially once I've spread them out to competent keepers in case my colonies crash.

Cresto

Arachnopeon
Nothing new other than lots of babies. A seperate group with 10 adults has produced 20 young in just 6 months. So I am quite happy.

As for shipping to the US these are not controlled in Canada so I believe I can export. However I do not think the laws in the US allow for their import. Of course you are always free to research and send me the legislation. Though with such an obscure animal they probably won't be defined and fall under a very general, unrelated blanket ban. I had to write a letter to our department here in Canada (CFIA) that handles legislation and inspection of live animal imports as there was no direction or information available. You may have to do the same.

That being said this whole project isn't a profit making venture for me. I have only supplied groups to a local breeder and a researcher across the country. In time I may consider supplying them commercially once I've spread them out to competent keepers in case my colonies crash.
Ok, sounds good! :) I will read the restrictions for national and state importation of exotic animals like these. When you are ready to sell them PM me. But of course I am not expecting that to be anytime soon.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I have spent numerous hours researching the in's and out's of importing live invertebrates into the U.S, and while I can't find anything specifically banning Epiperipatus barbadensis, I do believe they are probably covered by the blanket ban. @Cresto, if you can find anything, let me know please. Here are some links, that if they were banned, they would probably be found within one of these sites. APHIS is the one that monitors potentially hazardous "pests", which Velvet Worms might be classified as.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou...ation/live-animal-imports/import-live-animals

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou...uct-import-information/ct_animal_imports_home

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/planthealth/import-information

If it turns out to be legal, I would love to purchase some as well @AbraxasComplex, PM me as well please.

Many thanks,

Arthroverts