Velvet Worm Chat

PoHsun

Arachnopeon
Hello~
I am interesting in Onychophora.
Do I have the chance to enter this club?

catboyeuthanasia

Arachnosquire
Can I join the club? Got mine a few months ago, and I already see at least 2 new babies!

Also, do they poop pink? I saw one leave behind a white/pink puddle. I think it's waste but do yall have any idea?

NarcedCeph

Arachnopeon
Hello~
I am interesting in Onychophora.
Do I have the chance to enter this club?
For sure! I’m not sure when he plans to do another run. I was going to start selling mine but I had a mass die-off. :(

NarcedCeph

Arachnopeon
Can I join the club? Got mine a few months ago, and I already see at least 2 new babies!

Also, do they poop pink? I saw one leave behind a white/pink puddle. I think it's waste but do yall have any idea?
Their urine is pasty to prevent water loss, so yes, I believe what you’re seeing is urine!

catboyeuthanasia

Arachnosquire
Man, I've been going on a velvet worm legality research spree over the weekend. We should totally pool our research and discuss the possibility of getting another tropical species legally imported.

US/Canada: doesn't seem to be any laws restricting import of tropical velvet worms. For canada, of the species of velvet worm explicitly listed in reference to import legality, none of them required a permit to import. I'm on good terms with a broker who specializes in plants, but I'm not sure how they deal with "insects". @AbraxasComplex has done this before. I cant imagine how hard it would have been... dude's a champion...

Costa Rica: seems exceedingly difficult to export from here, which is a damn shame, since Mongeperipatus come from here. I have been poking around dart frog import companies such as Understory Enterprises, and they seem to have imports from there. I'm certainly glad that Costa Rica protects its creatures so well, since they are so cool.

Chile/New Zealand: thanks to @Jabberjay, we know that collection is legal in Chile as long as we do so on private property with the land owner's approval. Similar story about collecting in New Zealand. Unfortunately, it seems that exporting from New Zealand is a whole other story. Additionally, these species are not tropical, so they will be significantly harder to care for.

Amazon basin: I've been going on some wacky butterfly collector forums, and apparently, there are companies that take you to the Amazon to collect insects and work out import/collection permits for you. This might be a good bet to ask around.

All in all, it seems quite difficult to collect anything if you are not a researcher. @AbraxasComplex, how did you work your magic, mate?

Last edited:

catboyeuthanasia

Arachnosquire
This page is geared towards university affiliated entomologists, and butterfly/moth collection, but a lot of the advice there can be useful for us:

South Africa is another interesting one, since it has a nice balmy climate, relatively relaxed collection laws, and a species of worm that might be quite hardy: Peripatopsis capensis is invasive in the Galapagos. These guys look really chubby. South Africa has many species of protected velvet worms, but this one seems to be thriving.

Last edited:

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Found this guy for sale at a recent reptile expo. Was $150, didn't know too much about velvet worms so I passed on it. Super cool seeing these available though!

wurms.jpg

catboyeuthanasia

Arachnosquire
Found this guy for sale at a recent reptile expo. Was $150, didn't know too much about velvet worms so I passed on it. Super cool seeing these available though!

View attachment 458498
Looks like one of the barbados browns (Epiperipatus barbadensis)!

We've come a long way since they first were posted on the forums. Not getting this one was probably the right call. This looks like a tiny baby, barely bigger than the newborns I find, and these live best in groups headed by one or more large females. No clue of life expectancy, but getting a colony is probably the way to go.

If you ever want to join the "soft carnivore with lots of legs" team instead of the "armoured carnivore with lots of legs" team, Arthroverts has a great caresheet:

(Jk, centipedes are really cool too 😁)

catboyeuthanasia

Arachnosquire
Looks like fate is forcing my hand. There's gonna be a cosmology conference my supervisor wants me to go to in Capetown, right where cape velvet worms live. I've got a little under a year to scramble permits together before I fly.

Wish me luck!

catboyeuthanasia

Arachnosquire
Hi all, I'm back here with good news and bad news. The good news, I'm having lots of luck with worm import, the permit offices have responded and are processing my request, and I may have found someone in South Africa to supply worms

The bad news is that my current colony is plummeting in numbers. I found a bunch of springtails crawling around on living worms, sucking on droplets on their skin. COMMON WHITE SPRINGTAILS (Folsomia candida) ARE NOT WORM SAFE. I found a quartet of un-injured worms and placed them in a new enclosure without springtails. Hopefully this fixes things

wormguy

Arachnopeon
This is the place to talk everything onychophora. There's a lot of interesting, and truthfully pretty weird, things about this amazing species.
Hey I made a account for this but does anyone here know where I can buy velvet worm and have it get shipped to Canada thank u much for any help

catboyeuthanasia

Arachnosquire
By any chance are you looking to sell this lol
Sorry mate, my colony recently suffered a pretty big crash. Turns out, temperate white springtails, not just tropical pinks, can chew through their skin and drink their fluids. I'm waiting for my remaining individuals to recoup.

I would check kijiji, but as far as I know, the two sellers there both are low on supplies this year. I would message them a few months later.