Uropygi Information

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hm... I think this means that of the two I collected when mating the female died.. (And was ripped completely in half):( Do you think I need one more female to begin breeding with a nice gene pool because the males will die off quicker? Someone told me that four females and two males were a nice gene pool to start breeding for tarantulas.

I was thinking about that (different species), but they look identical so I haven't put much thought into it. That last female is very aggressive and wouldn't let males or females in with her. Should I put them in a bigger terrarium to try and mate them? Anyways, thank you! I'm almost there.

Edit: Do females usually consume their mates and/or do males die soon after mating?

Jeremy Huff

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Males live as long as females. I have had males kill females. The aggressive female may already be mated. When they begin to breed it looks like a lot of aggression, so I would try to breed them.

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great information! I have just put the larger of the two males that were together in a larger terrarium with the aggressive female (Which is missing it's front left "foot"). That's great that the males live just as long, makes it easier to breed (perhaps..).

It seems that that's just what happened, the male killed the female after mating. I should have separated them immediately *STUPID*. So, upon closer inspection, females are slightly larger and have a bulkier abdomen in this species. Now I'd like to collect another female and all will be perfect.

I've still got two smaller ones that I'm not sure about and four juveniles. I'll check those when they get bigger. :D Your help has been invaluable. Let's hope that the female doesn't eat the male.. O, if I notice that the females are gravid or have young should I remove the male immediately?

Jeremy Huff

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
sexing them is easy if they are mature. On the pedipalps of males, the apophysis (long spine) coming off the tibia is curved and elaborated at the tip. The female's is 'normal' coming to a point. The male was most easily seen in photo 3. Don't go by size, it means nothing...

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great, next time I'm going out I'll be able to discern the females from males and only keep what I need. I'm trying to impact the population (which is admitedly sizeable) as little as I can. I don't know how big the market is for these, but I plan to breed various species I find and it's also my hobby so I don't mind too much. ;)

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
One more question: When you said to leave them alone, do you mean leave a male and female together and let them burrow and wait and see what happens? Or let them mate and separate them and leave them alone?

Jeremy Huff

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Leave the female alone after breeding. If you bother her with eggs/young, you risk her eating them.

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think they mated last night. I'll keep the male in there several more days and then separate them. ;)

Scyther

Arachnopeon
Great and fasinating info everyone! :)

I have a Malaysian Whip Scorpion (Called Adam West) his a little guy (or girl, not sure yet) but I think his fantastic!

I have a qustion, can Whip Scorpions live together or do they prefer being by themself?

Thxs :)

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i think most people, and vine's, would prefer solitary except for breeding....but in my little experience i have found T. crucifer to be very tolerant of each other kept communally. as long as high humidity and good food is always there i never saw one problem. but moms with eggs/babies i would not risk it.

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My baby ones have just done thier first moult, when will they all get out of the burrow and when should i feed them?

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
usually when they surface they are ready to hunt

Jeremy Huff

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Start adding some moisture to simulate the rains. This should bring the female and babies up to the surface. I think they may stay for a couple weeks after moulting.

Jeremy

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yes, lately I had some Chinese specimens molt and they stayed around 2-3 weeks underground after they molted

Elleken

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Any breeders located in the states I'd be very interested in getting a couple.

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice photos, they look nearly identical to mine. By the way, I have now been keeping these for some months and I think that they make a good safe pet. I often see them burrowing and feeding. Very cool. :cool: