Uropygi Information

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i just had another T. crucifer put out eggs (what is the term when they hold eggs????it aint laying anything). that is cool, but it also means i obviously missed the breeding take place :( i got a new camera so i will try to get better pics this time. but the sides of the jar are so dirty and i dont like opening the lid on her. what are peoples tricks to getting good shots...i am thinking jsut a bigger enclosure i can open a wide lid would be best....

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yes it is :) that is the only whip specie i currently keep :)

they are due to shed soon, i will get pics of the 2nd instar stage :)

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Niiice! Congrats!

about your question on how to clean the glass without opening the lid maybe you can throw water with a syringe and wash the dirt from the glass.

For taking photos try throwing some extra light with a flashlight from a different angle (below or behind the enclosure).

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thanks :) i gave up and just put them in larger enclosures lol. its pretty easy with non venomous pets :)

hw are yours doing? any babies yet?

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
haven't checked on them since long time since they were underground.
I might take a look this weekend, would be nice to see some on eggs or even better with youngs on top :)

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
let us know if you do :) as long as you are careful, you can even pick up females with eggs or babies on back....i moved the one in the latest photo into a new tub, and she couldn't care less! this specie is a much more manageable sp. than others!

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I keep the this species: http://johnbokma.com/mexit/2006/06/18/vinegaroon-eating-superworm.html as a pet (captured in the state of Veracurz, close to where I live, another photo of the same species (as far as I know): http://johnbokma.com/mexit/2006/12/31/vinnie-the-vinegaroon.html )

Am I correct that this is Mastigoproctus giganteus ? (I noticed that there is a subspecies mexicanus? ).

Another related question

I have this specimen for over 2 years (as an adult I am quite sure), and recently it started to burrow. I added a lot of additional substrate to make it easier, and this week it made a burrow, and today it's closing the entry (I just checked, it's entirely closed).

I am lucky, the burrow is made against the glass (I put a piece of carton to stop light from entering).

Only reason I can think of: giving birth.

However, this specimen has been alone in a terrarium for 2 years. Are Uropygi able to store sperm for some time, like scorpions, or has parthenogenesis been reported for this species?

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
While the info given here is great, in very dry west Texas it seems there is a larger concentration under rocks than in crevices.

Pictures of the west Texas variety once I get home and photo everything else. ;P

Jeremy Huff

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi John,

If you can get me a dorsal close-up photo of the pedipalps, I can tell you which of the 3 subspecies it is. It looks like it might be M. g. scabrosus, which is found in Veracruz. You can send the photo to my email - jhuff@amnh.org.

What - I would not recommend this paper, nor anything Punzo writes. His last book was mostly plagerized and the book had to be taken off the market. Also, the very first sentence is very wrong. Whipscorpions are not found in Australia, New Zealand, Europe or the whole of Africa (there is only 1 species in Africa (in Senegal and Gambia). How a reviewer missed this, I don't know.

Jeremy

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I did not realize that, this is the only paper by him that I have seen and so I took it at face value... :wall:

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Update on the Mastigoproctus giganteus ssp.. Yesterday I noticed an exuvia in the burrow, so it had molted. Took quite some time ( 27-06-2008 (closing burrow) .. ca. 17-08-2008).

Do Uropygi eat the exuvia, or can one preserve it? (On one hand I want to carefully open up the burrow and remove the exuvia, but on the other hand don't want to stress the animal).

P.S. Jeremy, I guess I have better photos real soon.

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
never seen them eating the exuvia but they usualy stay in thier borrow for many days (or better said weeks) after they molt and when they emerge the exuvia is destroyed.

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I found this remote hidden valley here in South China that is just crawling with Uropygids. Almost every rock had one under it and some even more. I brought back two large adults the first time, but they didn't eat so I released them and brought back one slightly smaller adults and two babies, all of which ate (Babies possibly dead mealworm).

It's odd that in some areas there are centipedes everywhere and in other areas there are none with Uropygids all over the place.. I didn't make any good photos, but it's at the end of this video I made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMO1pzMJOFU.

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Maarten, no inverts seen at the end, please, make fotos of these winegaroons. We all'd like to see em!

And hi Mr. Bokma, glad to see You in this thread :)

I got some Malaysian garoons sell under the fake name "Thelyphonus pumhomii". I will post some pics while I manage to made some shots.

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi all, i brought a mated female earlier this year and coming back from holiday a few days ago her eggs have hatched, how long untill they`ll moult for the first time?

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Maarten, no inverts seen at the end, please, make fotos of these winegaroons. We all'd like to see em!
There are several seconds of it running away at the end. There were some awesome Argiopes that didn't film well, a massive earthworm that I couldn't catch, and various amazingly beautiful coloured "small, thin dragonflyesques" and butterflies that were too quick for me to photograph.

This, by the way, is possibly an undescribed species of tree and the local government has sent a specimen to Chinese scientists, who have never seen it (Which doesn't mean that much, actually).

This Saturday I am going to find another nature reserve and see what I can find. On my wishlist: Amblypygids, Scolopendra subspinipes sp., Plesiophrictus guangxiensis, scorpions, and many trap-doors!

Can I assume that if I can find Thelyphonids here that there should also be Amblypygids and the rest? Scorpions perhaps not, according to data, but we shall see..

Last edited:

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Maarten, as far as I know it is not any amblypygids known from China but just recently one species discovered in the south (don't know the details yet).
As for the ID of this one it is wise to wait untill Jeremy will find time to look into the thread.
So, keep Your eyes opened and please, make some nice shots of shinisaurus if You'll be lucky enough to observe any ;)