Urgent!

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Very urgent!
My A.genic just arrived and I got a freebie H.maculata sling, something I definitely didn't expect. How do I house the sling in its new jar without getting tagged? :eek:

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you dont need to worry with slings too much about being tagged for the most part. If you can just put the smaller container into its new home and wait for it to come out on its own

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
you dont need to worry with slings too much about being tagged for the most part. If you can just put the smaller container into its new home and wait for it to come out on its own
Okay, I'll try. The jar I have ready doesn't seem to have enough room, but I'll see what I can do. o_o;;

Fingolfin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You're lucky its not bigger! I rehoused my maculata the other day (just over 4" female) and its cage is irregularily shaped. So is my container for holding her. Anyways, she crawled out (had her cage in the bathtub) and suddenly she jumped onto the wall off the side of her cage, and started scaling the walls. They are definitely fast, but I stayed calm and eventually I caught her on the wall in the container. Le sigh!

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi and you did not ask for that as i have a book and it says this species IS VERY AGGRESSIVE what a free ( t ) to get GOOD LUCK with it === phil

Johnny_27

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I had a MM h.maculata a while back and never had any agression problems. It was fast tho but he would definatly rather run than fight. once while I was feeding he ran out of his enclosure, up one of my legs, around my back, down the other leg, and eventually hid in the pocket of my camera bag (I got HELLA lucky) He never tried to bite tho. I used to just dig around in his cage with my fingers to try and find him.

Either way, i wouldnt worry too much about venom with a sling, they really too small to do anything TOO painful.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Well it's crawled out of the vial and is comfortably stretched out on the side of it. It's dark brown about about 2" long. Can you all give me some info on how to care for it as a sling? And when will it start to lighten up and become more white?

...how the hell will I ever be able to take that vial out... Definitely never planned on getting an OW, so I have no idea what to expect. x_X

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
h. maculata are a bit similar to pokies in care and temperament - fast and very skittish, but not usually downright agressive. remember that it will rather run than bite, for all the good that will do you ;).

my tip: give it a bit more room than you would give a nw t, so it can avoid you better. they don't freak as easily if they have somewhere to retreat to.

give it a nice jar with plenty of ventilation and a cork tube or similar to hide in. also, as slings they sometimes burrow, so give it 2-3" of substrate. keep the substrate only slightly moist and mist once or twice a week so it can drink. room temps are fine.

you see, not very complicated. they are VERY slow growers though, and it might take a while before it shows the gorgeous ghost coloration this species is famous for. btw: only females get that colour. males stay a lot smaller and darker!

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yes Alice said it all basically :)

Although maculata's are arboreal as slings they tend to burrow aswell. Mine has a burrow under its cork bark to retreat to. It's also very skittish. Move the jar and its off! lol
I mist it once or twice a week to keep it humid and so it can drink and i keep it at room temperature... It feeds well but are generally quite slow growers.

A gorgeous spider! I wouldn't mind one of those as a freebie! lol

Best of luck xx

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Thanks for the replies! I'll move him/her into a larger enclosure and pray that I keep my hand. XD Meanwhile, I'll see if someone on AB will trade with me for something else.
Little tip for breeders out there: Please don't send pokies as freebies. {D

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wouldn't call a 2" maculata a sling. A sling is about or below 1" in my book. Anyhoo, grrreeeeaaat freebeee!!

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
As with most of "these type" of T's

Once they are established - have a retreat they are used to - they will run and hide first.

I simply let them know I'm around by - moving their cage, a quick breath or most other vibrations from moving other tanks, and I've never had any problems, with regular tank stuff.

- moving however... different story.

GREAT spider BTW I have two and they never fail to impress :) real beauties.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the replies! I'll move him/her into a larger enclosure and pray that I keep my hand. XD Meanwhile, I'll see if someone on AB will trade with me for something else.
Little tip for breeders out there: Please don't send pokies as freebies. {D
i agree as not every one wants or is up to keeping a POKIE :eek: :evil: :( :wall:

Bedlam

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you dont own a pair of forceps, now is the time to pick some up!

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
If you dont own a pair of forceps, now is the time to pick some up!
Only a pair of 4" ones. But yes I will definitely search for some longer ones. xD
I'm starting to have serious doubts... I'm definitely not ready to own an OW; when I had my B.smithi a couple months ago I'd jump when she made any sudden movements, and she was a pet rock!
Dear lord save my soul. XD

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
That is a strange freebie to give out to someone who may be new to spiders. Especially if they know nothing about the toxicity and speed of the species. It seems rather irresponsible of the dealer in my opinion, especially considering the spider you ordered which is more of a beginners spider. I could understand getting that as a freebie if you had ordered a P. murinus or something of the like.

If you are not ready for this spider, maybe you should not unpack it and just send it back where it came from.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
That is a strange freebie to give out to someone who may be new to spiders. Especially if they know nothing about the toxicity and speed of the species. It seems rather irresponsible of the dealer in my opinion, especially considering the spider you ordered which is more of a beginners spider. I could understand getting that as a freebie if you had ordered a P. murinus or something of the like.

If you are not ready for this spider, maybe you should not unpack it and just send it back where it came from.
Too late, she's in a jar right now. I PMed him back and asked if he'd take it back, so I'm waiting for a reply there. I'd love to trade him/her for a versicolor, but I doubt anyone would do that for me. :}

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i'd do it in a minute! i've already got 2 versicolor slings at about 1-1.5", and my big female built a nice sac two weeks ago... but i'm in germany and can't ship to you :(

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi if you do not want that ( t ) you must keep on to him and kick some butt you must have some say on it do not let them dump a ( t ) you do not want keep on and stand up to him / them thats what i would do good luck and do not give up === phil