Update on peripatus (velvet worms)

crashergs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For those of you who know I have some, My wild caught baby ones are thriving and voracious eaters, I have 3 adults that as well, are thriving, and actually a female laid some babies, I have about 7 captive bred velvet worms, its such a blessing to see that they are doing beautiful in a wine cooler at 52~57 degrees ive had them for a year now.

the reproduction rate is definately slow, they are not fast reproducers and takes much time for a female to lay her babies

here are some babies that I was able to catch while eating their prey.

I put those crickets in about 10 minutes prior to me opening their lids and saw that all were webbed being feasted on The cricket to the bottom is completely demolished

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
awesome!:clap: glad to see that they are doing great, that winecooler is great too,ive got my banana slugs in there and they are doing awesome,that winecooler is a lifesaver for these cold tolerant critters:worship:

HepCatMoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
velvet worms are so cool. the first time i saw em was on an attenborough special.

forgive me but i have many questions....

do you have more pics? where did you get them? how big do yours get? whats the larval form like? eggs? pictures of both? do you start em on pinheads?

tell me everthing!!!!!!!!

crashergs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got them 1 from UK and another from New Zealand, 2 survived, but had ordered like 9 all died during shipping except for 3. I believe I have 1 male and 2 females or 2 males 1 female, but its funny how they all sleep together.

I want to believe they give out live young, the babies are tiny white little worms that look like maggots, and within a week start accumulating their native color.

I do notice the babies hide underneath wood, while the adults kill and bring back food for the young. These are quite smart and I cannot comprehend how they have that instinct, but I dont think these species have yet been researched thuroughly to determine that.

Ill post pictures soon, I need to goto work.

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Awesome, this are such cool creatures, glad some one can attempt to rear them!
:clap:

crashergs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ooooo, ya beetleman that one is awesome!!! well worth the 70 dllrs, did u get it from target?

HepCatMoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
crashergs, thanks for all the info.

i did not know you had to keep them cool.

have you had the opportunity to see them hunt yet?

also, how big do they get? are those the full grown ones in the pictures?

seriously, they are highly neat.

crashergs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i took the mom out this morning... yes I do see them kill their prey, when someone comes around them, they spray silky strings of glue and this glue is amazingly tacky. Might I add, they are very accurate at targeting their prey...

once they have the victim down, they slowly approach and move their head to their victims body and slowly eat away at their body. The one in the picture is as big as they get

I keep them in this:

HepCatMoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
does anybody know any cool velvet vids? ive been looking for the attenborough one and cant find it....

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Those are really cool! Almost snail/slug like...but with legs.
Thanks for sharing. Any feeding shots? I see you have crickets in there... omnivorous?

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer

Herp13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh, i read about these in "Insects of The World". They are very primitive and ancient ancient creatures, very cool:) So how can you get them in the US? And for how much?

-Eric

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
does crashergs still come on here? i have pmed him/her but no reply, anyone got an emial address for them?