Update on peripatus (velvet worms)

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i just got my velvet worms today, anyone know much about them?

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
they must be kept very cool/moist,they are carnivores,their enclosure must be free of mold,that will kill them.just alittle info,hope this helps

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i just got my velvet worms today, anyone know much about them?
Maybe you should have asked that before you got them? :?

There is a couple of other threads on the forum about Velvet Worms and their care, as the people were learning through trial and error. Try the search button.

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i do know a small amount, the main things i want to know is if they need ventilation and how often to feed? I've been searching for weeks and pm'ed crashergs a few times but no answer.

Henri

Arachnopeon
Hi,

Great pics !

I’m living in the UK (but French), and when I saw the velvet worms for sale on the UK site, I bought a wine cooler like you… unfortunately by the time the wine cooler arrived there was no more velvet worn for sale.

Could you give me the contact you used to get some directly from New Zealand?

Thanks a lot

Henri

lukatsi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Try www.bugshed.co.uk, they'll have some in a few weeks (I've ordered some recently from there). It seems that velvet worms are becoming more popular, there are a couple of breeders out now. It would be great to have one of the big, tropical species...

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
amazing!! I would love to find a velvet worm in the wild. Would you be able to catch one in the act of feeding?

crashergs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I havent been on here for ages simply because I sold all my specimens...

As of catching them hunt, unfortunately I couldnt, the only possible way was to use a night vision camera that can support high levels of humidity and I was planning on doing it, just never got around to it.

I usually caught all of them hunting late at night around 1-2 am they are often roaming about for several hours until they all suddenly hide under the nearest log. I did however, catch them as they were feeding, that is it. Unfortunately I no longer have them as my wine cooler broke, and I was too broke to buy a new one at the time, but I plan on buying some again one of these days. very boring to keep, but its the "cool" factor that keeps you wanting to breed more and more :)

I forgot to mention: do not drench your terrariums for them, a couple sprays of water and a hint of moist terrarium works great!, they hate soggy land.