Undescribed species of Urodacus ??

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a feeling this scorpion is an undescribed species of Urodacus, probably a sister species to armatus, more than likely a fringe group that became isolated somehow.

VERY small species, smaller than manicatus. s-v length of about 30mm.
very low pectine count ~12 each side and the teeth are very short. Ordinary armatus pectinal teeth ~19-24 and the teeth are twice the length of this individual. Problem is I have yet to find a female in my group, that I can be sure is a female. When I do I will know if this is a new species, or a std armatus female. Also darker pigmentation, the red leg joints are not as prominent. I did not see any like this at Island Lagoon and certianly didnt collect any. Looks like I'll pe playing with some live ones under the scope.

It is an ADULT female too...How do I know? It has a SPERMATOCLEUTRUM in place!!! and fused operculum, complete lack of genital papillae. Adult female gravid at 30mm...amazing. It is a live specimen so my examination can only go so far. Luckily it managed to lie still on its back while I probed it's genital region. Eventually it got a bit pissed with me...

Bit pissed OFF!

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
very nice mark, this the only one you have? Where did you collect it?

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
so are we going to be seeing a Urodacus Newtonii soon? haha...nice work though, species looks great

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
very cool

That's really interesting! good luck on your studies :)

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Mark,

If you want to examine it more closely, you can always stick it into a sandwich bag, expell most of the air and then flip it over.

Cheers,
Dave

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mark,

If you want to examine it more closely, you can always stick it into a sandwich bag, expell most of the air and then flip it over.

Cheers,
Dave

Thanks Dave...yes, I have done that, someone else metioned that to me too. I'm not much of a taxonomist. I couldnt believe how calm it was at first, it lay on its back no problems, although once it decided it was pissed that was it. :D. I'm not sure as yet, it really depends on whether its an adult or not, but it definitely has a spermatocleutrum, hopefully it will pop babies.

Here is a comparison to an adult female of the closest species to it. The small one is the one in question.

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
wow... 3cm? way too small!!! im frozen on how did you find that scorpion that small...