Typhochlaena seladonia - From sling to subadult

spiderman336

Arachnopeon
Yup, kept them dry. I just misted and gave them lots of cross ventilation
Substrate completely COMPLETELY dry? I inject the bottom part of the substrate with water once a week for humidity. Started doing that Friday night, and today offered a large cricket ( crushed and guts oozing out of it) to the seladonia and she is eating it rn!!! It’s on the opposite side of the juices, but it’s still on the cricket 😂 I’ll remove what’s left in the morning. Versicolor is eating its first meal after its molt from last Thursday morning. 👏🏼👏🏼

Also wanna add i mist them twice a week for them to drink. The seladonia I put a few drops of water on a piece of moss on top of its bark.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
Curious to know the temperature and humidity of the room where you keep them. Also location
The room where I keep my tarantulas cycles between the AC during summer and heater during winter so it's a relatively dry room. Temps range from 70-74° during "colder seasons" and 78-80° during "hot seasons"

spiderman336

Arachnopeon
The room where I keep my tarantulas cycles between the AC during summer and heater during winter so it's a relatively dry room. Temps range from 70-74° during "colder seasons" and 78-80° during "hot seasons"
Same here. house stays around 50-60% humidity. (Closer to 55%) And bedroom ( where my ts are) 72-76 degrees Fahrenheit, max. Weird how some ppl say keeping them dry will cause them to dry up and others have had success keeping them dry

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
There is a lot of conflicting information online about all species. This is because a wide range of methods is applicable to most species.

Like Marco and many others, I keep my trio of Seladonia on dry substrate as well. Ambient room temperature is between 75-77° F on average. I keep them in a heated cabinet that holds a constant air temp of 79°F.

The area where they are housed has an annual humidity average of 67%. Some weeks it is 10%, some weeks it is 30-50%.

Humidity does very little other than slow the rate at which things dry out. It does not hydrate your T nor is it required for it to develop. Humidity helps maintain moisture levels in the enclosure and your T and slows the rate at which it dehydrates.

What's more important than humidity is access to hydration, so I provide drinking water via a dish hot glued near the trapdoor on the bark. Once a week I will mist the enclosure lightly to create droplets on the cork and enclosure walls. When I look through my collection weekly if I notice they are drying out, I will place droplets of water using a syringe on substrate to wet it a bit or place the droplets on the enclosure wall near the trapdoor and let them run down. I place just enough water to wet the substrate for a few days to a week.

Kind of like a light sprinkle, it never gets really wet.

You do not need to get super high maintenance with them like I do, but I'm not risking them drying out at all.

Instead of humidity, good airflow is more important. So I ventilate them as much as any other Avic enclosure. This level of ventilation provides an excess of airflow that dries out the enclosure twice a week for me

spiderman336

Arachnopeon
There is a lot of conflicting information online about all species. This is because a wide range of methods is applicable to most species.

Like Marco and many others, I keep my trio of Seladonia on dry substrate as well. Ambient room temperature is between 75-77° F on average. I keep them in a heated cabinet that holds a constant air temp of 79°F.

The area where they are housed has an annual humidity average of 67%. Some weeks it is 10%, some weeks it is 30-50%.

Humidity does very little other than slow the rate at which things dry out. It does not hydrate your T nor is it required for it to develop. Humidity helps maintain moisture levels in the enclosure and your T and slows the rate at which it dehydrates.

What's more important than humidity is access to hydration, so I provide drinking water via a dish hot glued near the trapdoor on the bark. Once a week I will mist the enclosure lightly to create droplets on the cork and enclosure walls. When I look through my collection weekly if I notice they are drying out, I will place droplets of water using a syringe on substrate to wet it a bit or place the droplets on the enclosure wall near the trapdoor and let them run down. I place just enough water to wet the substrate for a few days to a week.

Kind of like a light sprinkle, it never gets really wet.

You do not need to get super high maintenance with them like I do, but I'm not risking them drying out at all.

Instead of humidity, good airflow is more important. So I ventilate them as much as any other Avic enclosure. This level of ventilation provides an excess of airflow that dries out the enclosure twice a week for me
Good info. I’m new and that helps out. Also I’ve heard most ts don’t have a wax coating to keep them hydrated more than when they are adults.

spiderman336

Arachnopeon
Another question lol at a 1/3” sling, how often were yours molting. Week wise….

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Mine have molted twice in my care and it's been a little over a month between each molt. Mine are about 1/4" right now.

spiderman336

Arachnopeon
Mine have molted twice in my care and it's been a little over a month between each molt. Mine are about 1/4" right now.
Ok I had mine since august 3rd still no molt. Didnt wanna eat today tho. I have visually seen it eat twice. ( last week and the week before that) I’ll see how it does next Tuesday

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Sounds good. You could also start a growth/picture diary thread if you wanted to look back on your journey as well. You don't need to bring every T. Seladonia thread on the forum back to life. :p

spiderman336

Arachnopeon
Sounds good. You could also start a growth/picture diary thread if you wanted to look back on your journey as well. You don't need to bring every T. Seladonia thread on the forum back to life. :p
Believe me I’m still learning how to navigate this page off my iPhone. Thank you tho

Z3r0

Arachnopeon
Hi guys, I recently purchased a few seladonias they came with cork bark and a vials for each no substrate. So I ended up using coco coir and moss. They ate however it’s been a week and one sling molted and the same day it molted appeared to be on the ground curled up I misted waited a day to see if it moved and it didn’t wondering what could’ve been the problem?

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Hi guys, I recently purchased a few seladonias they came with cork bark and a vials for each no substrate. So I ended up using coco coir and moss. They ate however it’s been a week and one sling molted and the same day it molted appeared to be on the ground curled up I misted waited a day to see if it moved and it didn’t wondering what could’ve been the problem?
Make a new thread with photos of your enclosure and details about how you set up the vials.