Two-tailed T. falconensis born

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nazgul

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

some days ago one of females gave birth to a bunch of scorplings of which one turned out to be two-tailed. The regarding specimen has two metasomas with 4 segments each, both metasomas are sharing the first segment. The specimen feeds properly and seems to be healthy apart from the mutation. Unfortunately my camera isn´t good enough to shoot better pictures of such a small object. If the specimen will succeed in molting the second time, better pics are to follow.

Attachments

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cute specimen and very rare :D . I wonder if this guy will use both stinger to paralyze it's prey.

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Very interesting Alex. What percentage of all scorplings you've produced does this constitute (approx.)?

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
finally an heir to the two tailed throne. I hope it molts fine, with any luck it should live a normal life. Best part would be living to maturity, and possibly passing on that trait, that would be an interesting experiment.

Good luck :)

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Another set of pediplaps and he'd be styling. Very interesting Alex, as usual!:clap: Now we need a two tailed L.Q. that we can call the deadliest individual in the world. LOL

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Cool little scorp!
There's nothing wrong with the quality of your pics BTW (wish mine came out so nicely).

alkarlosse

Arachnopeon
Amazing :) Good luck raising it, I hope it reaches adulthood.

Though I doubt it could pass on this mutation, I hope it does! ;)

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have only heard of two tailed Centruroides till now (3 of the cases were exilicauda) hope it makes it to adult hood :)

Tityus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi Alex,

Rare to see this I hope it reaches maturity and give no problem with molting.

Vixvy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lucky! I too had a M.martensii with two prosoma it has 2 pairs of pincers. but sadly it died 3days after it was born. hay....

Nazgul

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

pretty interesting indeed. All two-tailed specimens being mentioned in the paper by Sissom & Shelly had two "normal" tails with 5 segments each which branched off the 7th mesosoma segment. A specimen with an anomaly like that seems to be pretty unique.

@Oliver: approximately 0,04 - 0,05% maybe, probably even less, that´s just an estimation. Sissom & Shelley are citing a study by Brauer on 5000 specimens of E. germanus which had the result of 0,02%.

@Gigus: there are other genera reported having given birth to two-tailed specimens than just Centruroides, mostly buthids.

Zman16

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thats amazing! Scientists say that these kinds of things are hereditery. I hope he grows to be an adult!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
AWESOME!! Let us know how it goes as it molts! That is is really cool:clap: .

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
some days ago one of females gave birth to a bunch of scorplings of which one turned out to be two-tailed. The regarding specimen has two metasomas with 4 segments each, both metasomas are sharing the first segment.
Hallo Nazgul;

Glückwünsche on your unique scorpling. :clap:

I have a few questions out of curiosity, if you care to entertain them. ¿ Is one tail predominate and the other subordinate? ¿ Does each tail act independent or do they act in unison? ¿ Is there any deformity in the secondary tail? (such as in side-show animal mutations ie a 5th leg but totally useless) :confused: :confused:

Thanks for the pictures this is the first I've ever 'seen' one of these two tailed scorpions. (well seeing one from a source who you can trust didn't doctor it up it PS) :D

Respekt, Thaedion

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great new Alex ! Take care of this specimen ! :)

HackoDis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The arcticle i read about the two tailed scorpion, said it used it's left pincer to hold down the prey. Then it used it's right tail to kill it.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This is very rare........like Tityus said, I hope it will molt in a good fashion! Good luck with this strange one.....

Nazgul

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

the right tail seems to be the dominant one, although I didn´t have time to watch the specimen sting prey yet. Both tails can be moved independently. There are no deformities apart from the fact that both metasomas are consisting of only 4 segments.

I don´t think it´s hereditary. In Sissom & Shelley it´s mentioned Brauer came to the conclusion that such an anomaly results from splitting of the posterior part of the embryonic germ band. I haven´t read Brauer´s study yet though, I still have to receive it.

Status
Not open for further replies.