Two questions...

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
1). If an emp is gravid, how long is the period?

2). How long can a scorp go without food; do some sp. tend to fast in the winter?

THanks in advance.!

In Him,
Marcus

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
The gestation period can vary up to a year in length with many scorps. Some species are seasonal when they give birth and mate , others are not. Many scorps will give birth only when the conditions are just right.

Scorpions can go many months wiithout food. Desert hairys, for instance, generally seal up their burrows for several months in the winter when in the wild.

John
];')

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Awesome, thanks a lot John; you're always helpful. That makes me feel a lot better about the fasting. I knew T's did it with no problems, but of course I'm still new to the scorp world.

In Him,
Marcus

Kaissos5

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just got a desert Hairy, should he hasn't been eating, should i just stop trying to feed him for a while, since it's winter?

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
The summer temps that are ideal are about 85F+/- but in the winter it is recommended you give them 2 months+/- of cooler (10-15F less) temps than the rest of the year. If your current keeping conditions are in the cooler range they may eat little or not at all. It could also be that your desert hairy is still getting used to its enclosure. Mine have always seem to take a week or two when I get a new one to acclimate to the enclosure I keep it in.

Here is my setup. I have an H.arizonensis and a H.spadix in this 20 long tank. This setup allows for warm temps on one end to cooler temps on the other end.

John
];')

Last edited: