Trip to a pet shop and a P. murinus running up my leg!

Cringles

Arachnopeon
So today i went to my pet shop to get some food. Asking the guy about ordering a P. Regalis in and a P. murinus, luckly he had P. murinus in, leg span im guessing is about a inch and a half. So the guy slowly takes the tissue out to show me the OBT looks good, he goes to put it back in, but it runs out of the tank, onto the shop floor, and under a shelf. Spent 10 minutes looking for it, found it, got the bugger back, very active, fell in love right away!!

He also has, what he called ''Costa Rican Zebra'' T i dont know much about this T but i just had to have it! so i get home, set up tanks for both T's, time to put the P. murinus into its home, me and my dad taken every precaution, treating it like a bomb. It runs out of the tank, onto the floor again!! to stop it getting under the tv, i put my foot in front of it, to my surprise, it runs up my leg( outside) im standing here, blood rushing, my dad running around me trying to catch it haha, was so funny! caught the lil guy and got it home, my first experiance with a T running up my leg, even worse that it was a OBT. These things are fast!! my last OBT was so mellow!
The Zebra T went in no problem

Anyway, heres some pictures of the new T's, just wanted you guys to confirm if it is indeed a (Aphonopelma seemani) Costa Rican Zebra! heres the pics!!

I also got 2 pinky mice today (frozen) to try on my T. Blondi, is there an advantage or disavantage to pinkies? i only plan on feeding them on rare occasions, say, after molts, to fatten it up quicker!! sorry for such a long post!!

mcy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The downside to feeding a rodent to a T that requires high humidity and likes to hide in a hole is pretty obvious. First its going to smell secondly its going to be messy third you might have to rip open her cave to make sure you get all the fragments out or risk having to change the substrate completely when fungus starts growing

Cringles

Arachnopeon
My T. Blondi just hides under a broken flowerpot, its very easy to just put a locust or cricket in front of it. So far theres no mess at all, theres just 'goo' around the T's mouth, and its still eating, so i dont expect any remains at the minute, i may never buy pinkies again, just my first time trying it:D

The guy in the shop said the P. Murinus was eating small locust, but it doesnt seem to want to eat the crickets i have at the minute, last P. Murinus i had, didnt eat at all, and just died, never found out why, While the A. Seemani is eating alright.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That poor seemani looks terrible, maybe even dehydrated. Good job on the big water dish, keep it full and throw in a couple extra crickets per meal. Hopefully it'll improve. :)

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
So today i went to my pet shop to get some food. Asking the guy about ordering a P. Regalis in and a P. murinus, luckly he had P. murinus in, leg span im guessing is about a inch and a half. So the guy slowly takes the tissue out to show me the OBT looks good, he goes to put it back in, but it runs out of the tank, onto the shop floor, and under a shelf. Spent 10 minutes looking for it, found it, got the bugger back, very active, fell in love right away!!

He also has, what he called ''Costa Rican Zebra'' T i dont know much about this T but i just had to have it! so i get home, set up tanks for both T's, time to put the P. murinus into its home, me and my dad taken every precaution, treating it like a bomb. It runs out of the tank, onto the floor again!! to stop it getting under the tv, i put my foot in front of it, to my surprise, it runs up my leg( outside) im standing here, blood rushing, my dad running around me trying to catch it haha, was so funny! caught the lil guy and got it home, my first experiance with a T running up my leg, even worse that it was a OBT. These things are fast!! my last OBT was so mellow!
The Zebra T went in no problem

Anyway, heres some pictures of the new T's, just wanted you guys to confirm if it is indeed a (Aphonopelma seemani) Costa Rican Zebra! heres the pics!!

I also got 2 pinky mice today (frozen) to try on my T. Blondi, is there an advantage or disavantage to pinkies? i only plan on feeding them on rare occasions, say, after molts, to fatten it up quicker!! sorry for such a long post!!

yes its an A. seemani the tan spinnerettes give it away. it shold molt out black , most i see at pest stores (intentional spelling there BTW) are really dull and not very pretty but molt out nice and black... may take a while tho .
and i wouldnt feed mice to any inverts at all . for several reasons crix and roaches is all i feed them and an occasional darkling beetle when the meal worms pupate lol

Cringles

Arachnopeon
Yes the guy that deals with spiders/lizards/snakes/some other things says some of the spiders do come in dehydrated. i have the humidaty under 100 at the minute for the A. seemani, i need the soil to dry out a bit!!
the set up they had for spiders arent great, there in good tanks, but there substrate, is pretty much just paper, with a paper tissue to hide under, and a water dish with a sponge, theres never dead crickets, and they usely feed the T's locust, so i guess its alright to use a sponge. Most of the spiders are only there for a day or 2 before being sold anyway, so there not being that horrible to the spiders.
Anyway haha, had to rant there a bit, does the A. seemani grow much bigger, im guessing the leg span is about 3 1/2 4 inches long.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ha that was a good read, thanks! OBTs are fun aren't they? Although common, I think they need to be in every collection!

That other T you picked up is definately a Aphonoplema seemanni, and it looks like it's in need of a molt because of the shabby colors, and some water! Very dehydrated.

Last edited:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes the guy that deals with spiders/lizards/snakes/some other things says some of the spiders do come in dehydrated. i have the humidaty under 100 at the minute for the A. seemani, i need the soil to dry out a bit!!
the set up they had for spiders arent great, there in good tanks, but there substrate, is pretty much just paper, with a paper tissue to hide under, and a water dish with a sponge, theres never dead crickets, and they usely feed the T's locust, so i guess its alright to use a sponge. Most of the spiders are only there for a day or 2 before being sold anyway, so there not being that horrible to the spiders.
Anyway haha, had to rant there a bit, does the A. seemani grow much bigger, im guessing the leg span is about 3 1/2 4 inches long.
I was gonna say you can educate him on how to care for them, but since you say they aren't there that long then I see no point. Except for the sponge thing, tell him not to use sponges, they are a breeding ground for all sorts of bacteria.

I had an A.seemanni about a year back that was around 5- 5.5" and I've seen some at almost 6", so yes yours does have some more growing to do.

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I got my OBT from a store as well and quickly found myself helping the store employee chase it out from under a deep freezer during the tank-to-cup transfer. They are shifty little devils. :cool:

Your A. seemani looks pretty hurtin', the abdomen in particular. Get some food & water into him/her ASAP. :) Congrats on the new additions.

Cringles

Arachnopeon
A. seemani is eating everything i give it, which is good, some of my spiders dont eat for a few days after going into a new home, might try a small locust tomorow to fatten it up some more! cant wait till it molts to see its brand new colours!

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nothing like a free running OBT to give your heart a good workout. I'm glad you caught it, both times.

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The seemanni can be a damp substrate so no need to completely dry it out. Another thing about feeding T's pinkies, especially T. blondi is too much calcium is believed to possibly cause broken/deformed fangs or bad molts. As treat 2-3 a year won't hurt but don't make a habit of it.

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congrats on two new babies! I don't have an OBT, but as for the seemani, give it plenty of substrate, they love to burrow. And good luck with it, it looks a bit roughed up.

Spyder 1.0

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you will regret the A. seemani. I have one. its a rock . it doesnt move much at all. I suggest you get a hollow coconut for a hide. remove the white crap.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
What i've seen of A. seemani's they're pretty defensive and can be nasty.. lol
and as for OBT.. well.. no need to comment on them lol