TOPIC: Scorpion Enclosures

Deolok

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What lives in the tank with the (what looks like) shreaded coca fibers?

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
bought a new ExoTerra terrarium from Superpet while it was on sale, 12x12x18. Should make a good communal C. Gracilis tank, just need to do a few lil things to it and bam.a lil over an inch of pea gravel, some filter cloth to keep the soil and gravel separate, plenty of hides, and lots to climb on. Some of those vines would be nice, but im not into paying out the nose for such a thing right now.

drapion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
nice looking enclosure you have there..Your C.gracilis should feel right at home in it

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well just cleaned out my emp tank and kinda re did it the best i could with 20$ that i had.

I decided to run a false bottom this time which ive never done before. The substrate is T-Rex Forest Bed coco fiber, peat moss under and on top of substrate, live bamboo, humidity gauge, ect

i_like_scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My Desert Enclosure

Here is a pic of my desert enclosure for my Vejovis boreus. I used a 10 gallon tank and the substrate is made of natural red sand that I have here in my area mixed with a little bit of gray clay and natural potting mix. I mixed it so that it wouldn't become like cement. The approximate mixture is about 90% sand, 6% clay and 4% potting mix. I added some flat rocks for hides and also some natural bark that is slightly curved for hides. For a little bit of a back ground I put some flattened out pieces of bark up against the glass in the back and on the left side of the enclosure and a desert plant. I just done this so it is still wet and dark colored in the pic but when it dries it will be a gorgous red color that is "caked" but easy to dig into. V. boreus is terrestrial but is also an obligate burrower and an opportunistic burrower. Sometimes it climbs and stays on the bark and plants while other times it likes to hide under the bark and rocks. Today I was watching it and it was digging a burrow in its smaller enclosure. It was a shallow burrow that was just deep enough to fully hide itself and it only took about 40 seconds!!!

Last edited:

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here is a pic of my desert enclosure for my Vejovis boreus. I used a 10 gallon tank and the substrate is made of natural red sand that I have here in my area mixed with a little bit of gray clay and natural potting mix. I mixed it so that it wouldn't become like cement. The approximate mixture is about 90% sand, 6% clay and 4% potting mix. I added some flat rocks for hides and also some natural bark that is slightly curved for hides. For a little bit of a back ground I put some flattened out pieces of bark up against the glass in the back and on the left side of the enclosure and a desert plant. I just done this so it is still wet and dark colored in the pic but when it dries it will be a gorgous red color that is "caked" but easy to dig into. V. boreus is terrestrial but is also an obligate burrower and an opportunistic burrower. Sometimes it climbs and stays on the bark and plants while other times it likes to hide under the bark and rocks. Today I was watching it and it was digging a burrow in its smaller enclosure. It was a shallow burrow that was just deep enough to fully hide itself and it only took about 40 seconds!!!

nice enclosure! lets keep this thread alive post up some pics. Why hasnt this thread got a sticky yet:?

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
nice enclosure! lets keep this thread alive post up some pics. Why hasnt this thread got a sticky yet:?
The thread was un 'stickied' some time ago. Don't know why. Maybe the adhesive was old and it just fell off the refrigerator.

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The thread was un 'stickied' some time ago. Don't know why. Maybe the adhesive was old and it just fell off the refrigerator.
There were around 10 stickies at one time, it was a bit of a headache to have that many on the first page, and posts were disappearing onto page 2 very quickly. I think there was a poll, and it was decided to remove a bunch of them. Most ended up added to this thread
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=24231

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
night pic of my S. mesaensis(Dune Scorpion)
Tank: 5gal, digital thermo/hydrometer(as u can see i used analog in the past), temps around 82degrees Day cycle, as low as 60degrees night cycle, driftwood(which he likes to dig under and use for a hide), racoon skull
(btw, yes its a moonlight bulb which i yet to have problems with any of my pets, and glow in the dark sand/glo lamp which all makes for some nice effects. Im gonna throw in one of my red bulbs tho just to be on the safe side)

Last edited:

huojin

Arachnopeon
enclosure of my 8 heterometrus spinifers.

the theme is a graveyard/cemetery.

what's in there:

1. bog wood x 1
2. skulls x 2 (u can get it from me if u're in malaysia)
3. japanese tea cup x 1
4. large pebbles/flat stones x 2
5. peat for substrate

look carefully and u can see them sleeping the skulls.

video is over here:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?p=887334#post887334

Last edited:

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This is where I keep most of my scorpions.:)
Andre;

That is some set up. Very clean. That is what I aspire to accomplish when I get the recourses.

I Am In Awe... :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

As asked before how is heat humidity etc maintained. And also what type of scorpins are included.

Andre2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks man!:D The bottom half is heated with a 100w cable which is on for 20 hours a day. In the top are 5 bulbs of 15-25w. Sometimes (in winter) I use more powerfull heatsources (bulbs). The enclosure is very well isolated so I can heat more than 100 different size enclosures with relatively low electricity-demands. Also it is a very safe enclosure, I think. Not much will escape from it;)

There is no humidity to speak of. I keep 95% species from arid environment.

Right now I think it's just too full to work with comfortably, so I'm affraid I'm gonna need another one...

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks man!:D The bottom half is heated with a 100w cable which is on for 20 hours a day. In the top are 5 bulbs of 15-25w. Sometimes (in winter) I use more powerfull heatsources (bulbs). The enclosure is very well isolated so I can heat more than 100 different size enclosures with relatively low electricity-demands. Also it is a very safe enclosure, I think. Not much will escape from it;)

There is no humidity to speak of. I keep 95% species from arid environment.

Right now I think it's just too full to work with comfortably, so I'm affraid I'm gonna need another one...
Andre: Is it glass on all sides or just the front? Also did you build that?