TOPIC: Scorpion Enclosures

JSN

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thiscordia said:
Hey JSN that S. Mesaensis looks familiar lol. Probably MEXICOYA will say the same lol I got it from him before i gave it to you.
haha, yeah, its doing well, hasn't shown interest in any food yet, but has done alot more work on that burrow...

GanjaTaz

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My new Viv for my Emps. It's a 60x45x45 Exoterra tank.

Currently housing 5 Adults, another will be going in here when her new born scorplings have left her back and she can be rehomed back into the colony.

Substrate is vermiculite which they seem to like, with a layer of stones beneath and the tube up the side trick (Many thanks for that tip seems to work like a charm.) I will be adding some more furnishings as & when I see something I like for the Viv and the cash flow allows, buying the viv has strapped me for cash this month heh, well worth it though I think. All the decent rocks and furnishings are in the other tank with the new mum, so till I can get in there without stressing her the new main colony tank will have to look a bit sparse.

I'm considering maybe halfing the tank and doing a dual substrate set up with a peat type side and a vermiculite side. Though I have to say I like the fact vermiculite is so easy to keep and easy to clean, as well as you can easily see if it is moist enough or not. & as my emps have shown no interest in burrowing I dunno if it is worth bothering with a burrowable (is that even a word) substrate.

Spyral

Arachnopeon
Here is a picture of our C. exilicauda enclosure:

Started out with just one, currently there are about 20 in this tank, all caught inside or within 50 feet of our apartment in the last 2 weeks. :eek: We have about 15 others in 5 tupperwares.

Spyral

Arachnopeon
Our Hadrurus arizonensis tank:

S/he was nice enough to dig two tunnels next to the glass so we can see her/him. I love the red Repti-sand! S/he's currently in the bottom right corner.

JSN

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Spyral said:
Our Hadrurus arizonensis tank:

S/he was nice enough to dig two tunnels next to the glass so we can see her/him. I love the red Repti-sand! S/he's currently in the bottom right corner.
awsome, simple, and you can even see the scorp in the burrow...good one...

DEAD~RATS

Arachnopeon
cig anyone

@ first glance i thought pimps, but then i read "my little h troglodytes" and glanced againg to realize how small they were compared to the cig butts in the upper left corner

just thought it was funny

had myself laughing too

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
here is my emperor enclosure (3 emperors) it is a 29g short tank with 1/5 divided out for warter (around 1/2 gal) about 4" deep 'jungle mix' substrate. 80ish humidity 85 - 90 degrees. The second picture is inside the tank looking towards the right, 4 burrows. I had to put a metal plate under the heat lamp, I had 1 scorp squeeze thru the 3/8 wide gap to 1 week of freedom.:eek: After looking at all the great setups i'm going to try to make a better one with all live plants.

Attachments

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thought I'd bump this thread up with some new enclosure pics. :)

Hottentotta judaicus

Hottentotta trilineatus

Hottentotta polystictus

Cheers.

HackoDis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My pandinus Enclosure.

No that's not a real plant, if any body has any suggestions for a real plant do so.

The substrate is that ecco earth stuff "coconut fibre" Never had a problem with mites. The substrate is about 4" deep. The scorpions are happy.

Deolok

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Make sure you get a lid for the tank. Not in the case of a scorpion making an esacpe, but to help preserve humidity. It has become a real problem to me, so I've gone as far as using multiple towels and spraying about a pint a day into the tank.

HackoDis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah gonna get a lid for my tank, so far i'm just keeping the substrate moist.

I have had both of mt monsters like this for sometime and there happy, Haven't had any problems.

I will get a lid, maybe get a piece of plexi glass.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well i just moved into my basement and I set up my enclosures in the perfect spot, a ledge in the wall right at eye level.

left to right: haitian brown tarantula(1 1/2-2"), Emperor Scorpion, Dune Scorpion, Corn Snake

any comments, questions, or suggestions?

btw, this topic needs a STICKY

Last edited:

dazbuzz

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
is it safe to have the lamp so close to the lid? i thought you had to clamp it above the tank.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
is it safe to have the lamp so close to the lid? i thought you had to clamp it above the tank.
well my basements colder around high 60's to low 70's so it keeps the enclosures at the right temps. And the top screens are metal