Tons of new pics!

SlowNail

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Over-defensive. He was only trying to say that maybe there was another reason why it died. Could just be a coincidence that it died after eating the gecko. Always a possibility it was killed by one of the other pedes or an unsuitable substrate or something...

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sucks to hear they died! Even if it is just a coincidence Id prolly stop feeding them geckos you no? Why risk it.. Oh well Sorry to hear about the loss thats never fun

SAn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
didnt a couple of your pedes die after eating crickets too?

there are various reasons pedes die, food is the longest shot if you ask me. Especially when you buy them from a pet shop where they are intented to go for fish food.

nice pics though

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The gecko(s) may have been parasitized? I know feeding geckos/anoles and the such can seriously jack up other herps if these feeders are infested with parasites...

Would they do the same to a centipede?

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would say no. Parasites that a gecko has probably would not harm a centipede...most parasites infest only a certain group of closely related animals. Species that require multiple hosts in their lifecycle tend to go from a invertebrate to a vertebrate host.

Parasites wouldn't cause death immediately either.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
whats wrong with just feeding crickets or another invert if it is questionable as to what killed them?
I wasn't starting an argument in any way. In fact, I was asking dtknow to NOT start an argument.

Anyway, back on topic. I suspect the crickets sold locally have something in them that centipedes are sensitive to. Here's why - earlier this year, I bought 3 mutilans at the same time. They ate a cricket each, and 1 died the next day, and the other 2 followed suit within the next 2 days. Also, my previous pede in the thread "Eaten Alive!" - for the first 2 weeks it ate only frogs because of my experiences with crickets, but on the third week I decided to try crickets. So he ate crickets for 2 weeks and duly died on the fourth week. He ate a gecko on the third week too.

From now on I'm sticking to feeder frogs for my pedes.

Over-defensive. He was only trying to say that maybe there was another reason why it died. Could just be a coincidence that it died after eating the gecko. Always a possibility it was killed by one of the other pedes or an unsuitable substrate or something...
He couldn't have been killed by the other pedes because the others are all de-fanged, and he was also the largest among them. Since they're all living on the same substrate, if substrate killed him then why are the others still alive?

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would say no. Parasites that a gecko has probably would not harm a centipede...most parasites infest only a certain group of closely related animals. Species that require multiple hosts in their lifecycle tend to go from a invertebrate to a vertebrate host.

Parasites wouldn't cause death immediately either.
Look - it was a house gecko. These geckos are often exposed to insecticides and detergents and crap because they often dwell in the kitchen. It's probable that the stuff the gecko came into contact with killed my pede.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Look - it was a house gecko. These geckos are often exposed to insecticides and detergents and crap because they often dwell in the kitchen. It's probable that the stuff the gecko came into contact with killed my pede.
Sorry to interject here, but this is a pretty gos example of why not to feed wild caught prey. It could have been either chemicals it came into contact with, or if it was eating any insects exposed to pesticides, it would slowly build up levels of the toxins in its own body. Sorry to hear about your pet.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That makes sense. Since frogs are generally found farther away from humans, they are less likely to eat pesticide contaminated bugs(and if they did they'd probably keel over much more readily).

So lesson learned: Feeding your bugs live food from around a house may not be smart! But as Hedorah said all WC prey has risk. They best way is to culture your own food.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah from now I'll leave geckos alone. By the way what's your personal definition of "fat" in terms of a centipede? My pedes look pretty thin to me but they're refusing food.

SAn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Depends on each centipede, some eat a lot some eat as much as they need to keep up.

i.e i got some pedes which are really thin but they rarely eat , while some of the same specie are fat.

also consider that an upcoming molt is closing

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Depends on each centipede, some eat a lot some eat as much as they need to keep up.

i.e i got some pedes which are really thin but they rarely eat , while some of the same specie are fat.

also consider that an upcoming molt is closing
Yep I've considered the possibility of an upcoming moult but then again I've always read that pedes in pre-moult get really bloated. Mine are far from bloated.

SAn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
still many possibilities..

i got some heros castaneiceps and i ve thrown then many blaptica dubia or crickets with no success..they prefer to starve than eat them.
but they take eagerly on meat.. beats me why but i really do not like that.

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My S.Heros cast. never refuses any food but all pedes are eating machines except one of my Polymorphas. Id say molt also, but there are so many reasons why a pede wouldn't eat. Don't worry about it whens its hungry or molts it will definitely eat. Pedes can go a while without food.

SAn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My S.Heros cast. never refuses any food but all pedes are eating machines except one of my Polymorphas. Id say molt also, but there are so many reasons why a pede wouldn't eat. Don't worry about it whens its hungry or molts it will definitely eat. Pedes can go a while without food.
we ve got the exact opposites here.. my polymorphas eat as much as they can :eek:

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So the consensus is that I have no reason to worry?
Yep you should be fine, dont worry unless they go more then like 2 months.. then something might be wrong. Just offer them food once a week. But you should be fine :)

Edit:we ve got the exact opposites here.. my polymorphas eat as much as they can

What is the size of your heros and polys?

nissan480

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So the consensus is that I have no reason to worry?

Lmao.First you feed inappropriatelty,then house inappropriatly,then do it all over again!And then ask why did they die!If you fed proper,and housed proper,we might have something to add,but right now,no one feeds or houses like you,so who know's the problem.

atleast for me,I cant help till you change these things.

Tips Ill add.One,proper substrate(Ive never seen a care sheet that recommended or even mentoined all bark.TWO,who feed's lizards and frogs(WILD CAUGHT).Those are also not on the care sheets!

You ask for facts!!!Those are not available in the centipede world!Get that through your head.WE,recommend what WE "know" works,and thats not even a gaurantee.But,None of the above posted fits!

Not trying to be rude,but get the hint!Some people are easy going,Im not one when, pede's are dying.You need the best info now,to prevent future deaths.

Again,I may have come off rude.But you've had more deaths in the past month then ive had in three years....You conducting an experiment?

Last edited:

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Lmao.First you feed inappropriatelty,then house inappropriatly,then do it all over again!And then ask why did they die!If you fed proper,and housed proper,we might have something to add,but right now,no one feeds or houses like you,so who know's the problem.

atleast for me,I cant help till you change these things.

Tips Ill add.One,proper substrate(Ive never seen a care sheet that recommended or even mentoined all bark.TWO,who feed's lizards and frogs(WILD CAUGHT).Those are also not on the care sheets!

You ask for facts!!!Those are not available in the centipede world!Get that through your head.WE,recommend what WE "know" works,and thats not even a gaurantee.But,None of the above posted fits!

Not trying to be rude,but get the hint!Some people are easy going,Im not one when, pede's are dying.You need the best info now,to prevent future deaths.

Again,I may have come off rude.But you've had more deaths in the past month then ive had in three years....You conducting an experiment?
You want to argue again? I'll gladly oblige.

Firstly, you need to get your facts right. The frogs that I feed to my pedes are NOT wild-caught. They are bred in farms as live feeders for fish.

Secondly, stop telling me about my pedes dying. I never asked why they died. I know why they died.

Thirdly, you have so many grammatical, punctuation and spelling errors in your text that I find it horribly difficult to read, especially since you're an American and I'm a Singaporean - we Singaporeans are usually known for our extremely poor command of the English language. I feel for you.

Last edited:

SAn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yep you should be fine, dont worry unless they go more then like 2 months.. then something might be wrong. Just offer them food once a week. But you should be fine :)

Edit:we ve got the exact opposites here.. my polymorphas eat as much as they can

What is the size of your heros and polys?

heros are 15-20 cm

polymorphas are all about 10 cm +

so i would expect heros to eat more since poly's have reached pretty much a max size