Tons of new pics!

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I suggest buying some feeder roaches off AB from another member near you. But as I said your pedes could simply be in premolt so no worrys. Just offer them food once a month, if they dont immediately attempt to catch it or look interested remove it and try next week. Best of luck,

-CJM-

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi,

normally i planned not to stick on that thread, but i feel i should share my own experience:

I had so much pedes that died from so much different reasons. Others keep pedes without loss of specimen. It's quite normal pedes die since they are wild caught or still pedelings..or even if you have a lot of pedes: This fact even makes it quite normal species die somehow.
In fact, you don't know it's life until the pede arrived in pet store or offered by an invertebrate dealer.

Not that i'd recommend using substrate pedes are not able to build a cave system, but still there are so much different parameters a pede can die.

Just one example: I keep my spec.phillipine-pede almost bone-dry. Just a LITTLE spot of moist per 1 1/2 weeks. It's doing fine. Got that advice from a dealer who kept this species moist like other pedes - and eight (!) specimen died since he tried dry substrate. They're doin' well now.
So..what about the general advice to keep pedes moist and the're doin' well then?

There is no such "100%-advice" in pede-scene.

Watching this thread makes me wonder about another thing:
It seems that problems are not based on "trying something out" or experimenting with new care-methods, but on personal defamation pedes now suffer from.

When there's one thing i really hate in pet scene, it's collecting trophys and letting pedes suffer from personal ignorance.
Not that i want to blame anyone, because i really missed the topical focus.
Just some words in my opinion.

Regards
Turgut

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Not that i'd recommend using substrate pedes are not able to build a cave system, but still there are so much different parameters a pede can die.
EVERYONE here constantly chatters about centipedes being unable to dig proper burrows in a bark substrate. I have evidence CONTRARY to this. I have identified at least THREE different entry/exit tunnels in my set-up, and my "Red Leg" does, indeed, have a permanent burrow. IN BARK.

Furthermore, has ANYONE HERE ever tried bark as a substrate to find out whether it can hold a burrow? I bet the answer's "no".

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would attempt to use bark but its ill-advised and I really dont want my pede to die for an experiment.

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hey,

please wipe the foam from your mouth. It's not worth it!
Never said anything about bark, just that centipedes should have a possibility to burrow tunnel systems. Nothing else.

I could've said something about naked women and i suppose you still exploded that way.

You can keep your pedes on styrofoam, if you want to.

Regards
Turgut

SAn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Phark, i aint trying to point a finger at you , i really try to keep a good level of argument and advise.
As i said in a previous post you can keep your pedes in whatever conditions you want and feed anything. You only chose to quote about me saying your pedes are dead. This aint a detective forum. I only said you must be doing something wrong and you should try change some parameters.

Since you have some deaths though instead of asking of evidence of how this is good or bad you could try get a better substrate and get some roaches or keep your own clean cricket farm and feed frozen pinkies once in a while, then see if your pedes do better. Or keep em half-half this way and see which is better.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Never said anything about bark, just that centipedes should have a possibility to burrow tunnel systems.
Everyone's been talking about bark being unable to hold a proper burrow/tunnel, so it was VERY clear what you were getting at.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Phark, i aint trying to point a finger at you , i really try to keep a good level of argument and advise.
As i said in a previous post you can keep your pedes in whatever conditions you want and feed anything. You only chose to quote about me saying your pedes are dead. This aint a detective forum. I only said you must be doing something wrong and you should try change some parameters.

Since you have some deaths though instead of asking of evidence of how this is good or bad you could try get a better substrate and get some roaches or keep your own clean cricket farm and feed frozen pinkies once in a while, then see if your pedes do better. Or keep em half-half this way and see which is better.
Ok, thanks for the suggestions, I might try a little experiment or two. Do you think small, thawed pieces of frozen prawn meat might work?

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I say make sure theres no added chemicals in the meat and you should be ok. I recommend roaches though..

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I say make sure theres no added chemicals in the meat and you should be ok. I recommend roaches though..
Lol I have to admit I'm absolutely terrified of cockroaches! And yeah the prawns don't have preservatives or anything. I'll try it and update you guys.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
WHOA WHOA WHOA I just went to check on my pedes and I just discovered that the pede that's been refusing food of late has changed colour to a dull green! It's definitely alive. I can be sure he's gonna moult right? Yeah I'm very excited because this is the first centipede in my care that's gonna moult! By the way should I isolate it just for the moulting process?

SAn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok, thanks for the suggestions, I might try a little experiment or two. Do you think small, thawed pieces of frozen prawn meat might work?
i havent used prawn, but i have used frozen cow, pig and lamb meat and it worked fine. (i only use those like once every 1,5 month)
So i cant tell you how good it can work if its the regular food.

As for the molting pede, i would definately seperate it or risk it being eaten.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Prawn sounds ok(but honestly a bit of an overkill, I'd sooner eat them or feed them to a fish). As long as it is fresh and not covered in preservatives that some shrimpers are known to use you should be ok.

Phark: I'm guessing most people who keep pedes communally do not seperate them for molting. I think in a communal enclosure it needs to be large enough for one to go off and construct a little molting chamber or get away from the rest if it wants to. Taking it out and re-adding it could mess with group dynamics(particularly if the centipedes are not just merely tolerating each other).

I'm still not buying pede/frog farms. A lot of places use "farm" in a rather broad manner. To harvest something that is already reproducing on your land does not really count as a farm to me. I've seen photos, but none show evidence of any breeding activity.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Prawn sounds ok(but honestly a bit of an overkill, I'd sooner eat them or feed them to a fish). As long as it is fresh and not covered in preservatives that some shrimpers are known to use you should be ok.

Phark: I'm guessing most people who keep pedes communally do not seperate them for molting. I think in a communal enclosure it needs to be large enough for one to go off and construct a little molting chamber or get away from the rest if it wants to. Taking it out and re-adding it could mess with group dynamics(particularly if the centipedes are not just merely tolerating each other).

I'm still not buying pede/frog farms. A lot of places use "farm" in a rather broad manner. To harvest something that is already reproducing on your land does not really count as a farm to me. I've seen photos, but none show evidence of any breeding activity.
Yeah I left them alone. As for the farm issue - I know for sure that these feeder frogs are farmed (bred and raised there). 100%. Because these frogs (Rana sp. ; forgot the species name) are sold in such immense numbers every day, they cannot possibly be all wild-caught, for sure. I'm talking thousands per day, mind you.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Not an impossibility for them to be caught. Again, just because something is breeding on your land and you collect it...it is not really a farm. They may be encouraging them, perhaps building them ponds and harvesting the frogs as they emerge to sell...but I view it more as simply using a natural resource.

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ill pipe in on here once again, there are a number of reasons for the death of your pede like humidity and temperature or your source of food. While you argue that you see visible burrow entrances, you cannot say what the structure of those burrows are below the surface. My suggestion is to mix your substrate with some plain old dirt. Then try feeding the food items others have already talked about. Good luck!

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ill pipe in on here once again, there are a number of reasons for the death of your pede like humidity and temperature or your source of food. While you argue that you see visible burrow entrances, you cannot say what the structure of those burrows are below the surface. My suggestion is to mix your substrate with some plain old dirt. Then try feeding the food items others have already talked about. Good luck!
Yeah I'll try different stuff and see how the pedes respond to them. Then I'll post the "results" here. Oh yeah thanks.

Eclipse

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think I missed this part, but where did you say you got your pedes from again? Nice pics btw, I'm just dying to have these.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think I missed this part, but where did you say you got your pedes from again? Nice pics btw, I'm just dying to have these.
I got them from a couple of local fish shops which probably bought them in bulk from centipede farms either in Singapore as well or in Malaysia or Thailand. I know for sure the mutilans available in the US and Europe don't come from these farms, though.