Today in the Spider Room?

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
My G. porteri was busy this morning adding to her web carpet. I love watching her work on it. :) She hardly moves most of the time so seeing her active is a treat.

HeartBum

Arachnobaron
Did a clean out of the Dubias, and found teeny tiny little nymphs! I’ve been seeing oothecas hanging out some females but wasn’t sure if the birth was successful or not. Now I know and hope the colony grows fast :geek:

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Got haired by my B. hamorii last night. :grumpy: She is usually one of my most docile Ts and I opened her enclosure to fill her water dish and she wigged out and started kicking at me. A few landed on my cheek. Not so bad, my N. coloratovillosus hairs are worse.

Hi all
After an avalanche of sling moults last few days my Pamphobeteus sp Costa girl is nearing a moult and has the web mat in place.
Fingers crossed all goes well with it.
Regards Konstantin

Metallattorney

Arachnopeon
Today has not been a great day. I keep my tarantulas at my office (I am a solo practitioner so I do not have anyone else in my office and my wife does not like the idea of them being at the house) and we were having blizzard conditions. I almost did not go in at all, but I figured I would stop in to grab some work to do at home. Good thing I did because I found that the heater had gone out and the temperature was in the low 60's. It did not sound promising to get anyone out there to fix the heater right away so I ended up packing all the tarantulas into the car and taking them to the house, my wife's opinions be damned. They are in the basement, which is not ideal, near a space heater. Hopefully everyone will be okay. I have a couple buried in pre-molt, hopefully they were not molting at the time. No issues have come up yet of the ones I can see.

In slightly better news, my harpactira cafreriana sling molted. Of course that worries me a little with the whole above issue.

Last edited:

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
This old man ( N. incei gold ) hit the 2 year mature mark today, amazing since I've heard this species usually only lives a few months after maturity. Excuse the fuzzy pic, I had to take it through the enclosure lid, he's very skittish.
N. incei Dec 2020.jpg

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Walk in today to find one of my C. Elegans hooked out he molted 2 weeks ago but could only see down his hole. Went from a 1/16” sling in June to mature male in December. Now that is a fast growing species. I bet he is around 1-1.25”. Super small.

Rozwyrazowana

Arachnopeon
Walk in today to find one of my C. Elegans hooked out he molted 2 weeks ago but could only see down his hole. Went from a 1/16” sling in June to mature male in December. Now that is a fast growing species. I bet he is around 1-1.25”. Super small.
Is he more out of his hole now? I've heard they are more visible when they are MM. I have C. elegans, that I've seen only three times: when I bought it, when it walked from his hole randomly and when I was rehousing it. It was 1/3" in July so if yours matured, maybe I'll find out soon if it's a male.

Yesterday my MM T. albo ate, he hasn't eaten for a very long time so I'm happy about it. He's so slow and so fragile.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Is he more out of his hole now? I've heard they are more visible when they are MM. I have C. elegans, that I've seen only three times: when I bought it, when it walked from his hole randomly and when I was rehousing it. It was 1/3" in July so if yours matured, maybe I'll find out soon if it's a male.

Yesterday my MM T. albo ate, he hasn't eaten for a very long time so I'm happy about it. He's so slow and so fragile.
Yes, he was a pet hole. I knew it molted because I can see in the burrow tunnels. I knew he was mature because he was out on top. The issue now is trying to sex my other one, Ventral it looks female but the molts are so small. I got try to confirm before I pair them. I am surprised how small they mature at.

Rozwyrazowana

Arachnopeon
Yes, he was a pet hole. I knew it molted because I can see in the burrow tunnels. I knew he was mature because he was out on top. The issue now is trying to sex my other one, Ventral it looks female but the molts are so small. I got try to confirm before I pair them. I am surprised how small they mature at.
At the moment mine has all tunnels far from the walls of the enclosure so I have no way to see it at all. Mine is keeping its molts in its hole so I can't even attempt sexing. I think if it's still alive by July and not a MM I'll assume it's a girl.

RevS

Arachnopeon
So... My L. klugi has been refusing food for a month and I've been wondering why it's taking so long to molt (it's still rather small).

Today I dropped a roach in and it took it down immediately. Yeah I guess I'll have to wait a while longer for it to molt again...

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
Apparently my new GBB is a hair kicker from hell. Girl didn't want to chill down with one kicking, no, she had to keep kicking hairs for like 10 seconds. And proceed with another second wave. Someone, send help.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Not in my spider room but a friend sent me a photo of one of their heavy bodied terrestrials climbing to extreme heights in an Exo-Terra front opening enclosure with -4 sub and I said "Oh, that makes me very nervous." since I didn't want to outright say "Uh, that's NOT acceptable for this T." In the end I realised I am not going to win, as my friend thinks front-opening enclosures are optimal for feeding and exchanging water, and there is no danger of their spiders falling and splatting in one. :grumpy:

Anyway everyone got water yesterday except my GBB who thinks water is food and kept trying to pounce on her water dish.

scooter1685

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I got to watch a fun show this morning, courtesy of my T. albo. He piled some dry moss into his water dish, then flipped the dish over and dumped out the contents. Afterward, he rolled the dish down to the opposite end of his enclosure and proceeded to climb under the dish. In the end, it looked like he was wearing an empty water dish for a hat. Very entertaining little guy to watch, lol.

KeGathings17

Arachnosquire
P. sazimai and P. pulcher have molted! The pulcher is large now! At least 3 inches DLS, very exciting times.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
I actually got to see my H mac sling for once! Taking down food no less.

I'm usually lucky if I can see a glimpse of its abdomen in the depths of the tunnel.

Rozwyrazowana

Arachnopeon
I almost had a heart attack. I opened my C. elegans' enclosure and I saw something that looked like part of the abdomen and a leg. It didn't look good, the leg was in a weird position. I touched it with a soft brush, but it didn't move. I was convinced that it was a dead T. I used the brush to dig it out, turned out it was just a leg from an old molt and a piece of dirt.

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
I wanted to see feeding response of my A. chalcodes that hasn't eaten since I got her. At first she just turned around a bit and then did one slow, not even so big slap. And proceesed to mind her own buisness. On one side I want her to eat finally, but that was so adorable...