Today in the frog room

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Beautiful, it's still a froglet, but it'll grow to be a bit larger than C. cranwelli as adults. Love this species in general, my C. aurita eats better than the rest of my pacman froglets, despite being born with a weaker right arm. Be prepared for the best eating pacman frog you'll probably ever get. ;)

toan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I use Repashy SuperVite about 2-3 times a week and alternate with calcium for my feedings when I am breeding or raising babies. Less often for my retired froggies. Are you feeding only fruit flies?
There is a good piles of leaves in their tank and they probably get the spring tails and isopods i seeded in there. The entire tank was crawling with springtails when I initially put them in there. It only tooke them a few days until the springtails couldn't be seen anymore. I still see some if I dig through the leaf litter. I also give them phorid flies and pinhead crickets that I hatch myself.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
There is a good piles of leaves in their tank and they probably get the spring tails and isopods i seeded in there. The entire tank was crawling with springtails when I initially put them in there. It only tooke them a few days until the springtails couldn't be seen anymore. I still see some if I dig through the leaf litter. I also give them phorid flies and pinhead crickets that I hatch myself.
I don't think I've seen you most what you use as supplements. I use Repashy calcium plus every feeding. It is an all-in-one calcium and vitamin supplement that has the vitamins in forms that are usable by dart frogs.

Nongkym

Arachnopeon
I don't know why, but I've never noticed this thread until now. So I'll be joining in on the pacman too I guess, since I've just got back into pacman frogs again.

That's the most light colored C. aurita I've seen so far. But many colors of C. aurita range from specimen to specimen. How large is this specimen? They usually darken with age.
Pennywise was mentioned in this episode of Eons that I watched last night. Super cool!!

Nongkym

Arachnopeon
I don't think I've seen you most what you use as supplements. I use Repashy calcium plus every feeding. It is an all-in-one calcium and vitamin supplement that has the vitamins in forms that are usable by dart frogs.
I have been extremely satisfied with all of the Repashy products I have used. I opted for the Supervite because I still have calcium vit D3 stuff. The "supervite is microfine complete vitamin only supplement powder that contains both retinol and carotenoids as sources of vitamin A." from the repashy brochure. I also like to use the Savory stew to feed my tadpoles.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I want you to know you guys are pushing me over the edge. I’ve never had an interest in setting up an enclosure for those cool little PDFs or tree frogs. Plus, I live in a tree frog enclosure called Central Florida. However, in trolling this thread, and beginning to research further just out of curiosity, I have discovered the realm of amphibian blimps like, pixies, pac man, and Budgett’s frogs. I’m starting to think this is an area of frogdom from which I could possibly find a new friend or two.

Nongkym

Arachnopeon
I want you to know you guys are pushing me over the edge. I’ve never had an interest in setting up an enclosure for those cool little PDFs or tree frogs. Plus, I live in a tree frog enclosure called Central Florida. However, in trolling this thread, and beginning to research further just out of curiosity, I have discovered the realm of amphibian blimps like, pixies, pac man, and Budgett’s frogs. I’m starting to think this is an area of frogdom from which I could possibly find a new friend or two.
Welcome to the club!! They are great to observe and raise- not to mention designing new habitats. Keep us posted as to which will become your new friend!

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Here's one of my Pacman froglets.

Samurai (Supposedly) Blue Pacman Froglet

IMG_1510.JPG

About this morph:
Samurai carries the unique gene of "Translucent" also known as the "Mutant" gene which is a clear or see through pacman frog. By breeding Samurai X Samurai you can produce offspring that is more translucent with each generation bred down. Note that this morph can possibly have some small chances of birth defects regarding to their jaw being a bit deformed or a problem with a bigger lower jaw or known as an over-bite. Most can still eat well despite having such issues.

People tend to think of "Blue" when they hear samurai, but blue is something that can range drastically and not all samurai "blue" are blue. If you're looking for that samurai blue pacman, then you're basically seeking a teal blue morph or a grade A/Grade 1 samurai blue pacman, which are rare and expensive. If you grade my samurai (supposedly) blue then it would be a low grade 5 (depending on the scale). Although I consider it samurai, I don't consider it blue, but I do keep the original label just to note myself that it carries the translucent/mutant gene. Samurai doesn't always mean blue, but people have glued the terms "samurai" and "blue" together whenever they think of blue. Samurai froglets are a darker colored pacman from the usual color, whereas normal green froglets are a light green, samurai froglets are a darker green. Some samurai offspring have been seen to have a teal or blue which is where I think everyone decided to put "samurai" with "blue" = "samurai blue". This morph is hard to explain, so this is just a small bit on this morph.

toan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
HI, I didn't know that the exact supplement was important? I've been using rep-cal calcium and rep-cal herp vitamins. I'll do a little reading to see if there is consensus on different vitamin brands making a difference on darts.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
HI, I didn't know that the exact supplement was important? I've been using rep-cal calcium and rep-cal herp vitamins. I'll do a little reading to see if there is consensus on different vitamin brands making a difference on darts.
The rep-cal calcium and vitamins are (from what I understand) reptile specific and don't include the vitamins in forms that feels can digest/use.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
The first clutch of eggs since I got into the hobby!!! YAY! :D

View attachment 351772

Just discovered it, it's very early in the morning here. They must have laid it yesterday when my little Casanova and one of his girls basically spent the whole evening in that film canister. ;)
Now, I'm actually not sure what to do? Do I get it out? Or should I leave it in there because it might go bad anyway but to help the frogs to learn to care for it? What would you do?

Side note: Isn't it cute that 3 of my 4 Ranis always spent their night together in that bromeliad? ;) I have no idea where the 4th frog spends its nights though...
So, well, that first clutch (and also the second I got a couple of days later in the lower film canister) went bad. That was to be expected. I got a third (and maybe fourth clutch) about a week later, 14 eggs in total, so probably two clutches, same location. I pulled those on Thursday, not sure yet what to make of them. Does someone have pictures of how R. variabilis eggs are supposed to look at different stages? ;) That would probably help a lot.

Anyway, they're at it again already. :angelic::rofl:

20200725_busy.jpg

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
Yay, this thread suddenly became very popular, great to see, hopefully someone will chime in with tree frogs soon.
Also, I'm fairly certain my spirit animal might be a cane toad - Bufo Rhino.

Nongkym

Arachnopeon
Yay, this thread suddenly became very popular, great to see, hopefully someone will chime in with tree frogs soon.
I have a breeding group set up for the red eyed tree frogs Agalychnis callidryas. Unfortunately, my proven albino female did not survive the cross country move and I am growing up some new girls. I expect to have tadpoles next year. My poor males call every night in anticipation!

Nongkym

Arachnopeon
Bufo marina is an awesome toad!! I was able to catch a few of them during my field studies in Panama. They get so big!! Your comment reminded me of a scene from one of my favorite movies.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
Bufo marina is an awesome toad!! I was able to catch a few of them during my field studies in Panama. They get so big!! Your comment reminded me of a scene from one of my favorite movies.
Aw, I love that movie. awesome

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Some more of my pacman frogs. So enjoy.

Albino Strawberry Pacman Frog
No, this is not a regular albino if you're wondering...
IMG_1602.JPG

Apricot Pacman Frog

(Sorry about the low quality of this picture)
IMG_1670.JPG

3-Stripe Pacman Frog (Tri-Stripe Pacman Frog)
This one does carry the samurai gene.
IMG_1675.JPG

Brazilian Horn Frog (Ceratophrys aurita)
This one has a weaker arm that's recovering in my care and this picture was taken during maintenance so it's a little dirty in this picture. Still the best frog I've worked with in terms of feeding, which mines is an absolute beast.
IMG_1674.JPG