Today in the frog room

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I have too many D. azureus froglets to feed! Normally, I would rent a booth at an expo to sell my babies, but I did not anticipate how long the shows would be cancelled. I called a few of the local shops in my area and seems like a few other breeders are in the same situation as I am.

@Thekla thanks for sharing your FF set up! I like your idea of using of pantyhose. Do your cultures give off a "funky" fermented odor? I use mason jars and secure the top with a coffee filter and the metal ring. I have had zero problems and 100% success rate as well as 100% complete utilization of each culture since I switched to Repashy Superfly.
Too many? Impossible!

On a serious note I understand that completely...they are absolute eating machines.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
Tree frogs again!
My dwarf tree frogs have been brown quite a lot lately, this upsets me slightly, quite often they have been green during the day and brown at night. It's winter over here and I can't get fruit flies atm but I'm thinking it has something to do with all the colour changing. IMG_20200715_212320.jpg

The big tree frogs have been hungry as usual and I also finally started naming them, I don't normally name these types of pets but I just couldn't help myself.
This is Ori and Fat Tony.
IMG_20200719_213542.jpg
IMG_20200719_213600.jpg

toan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi guys, I'm having a lot of issues hatching azureus eggs. The eggs would develop part way and die, any idea what's going on here?

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Hi guys, I'm having a lot of issues hatching azureus eggs. The eggs would develop part way and die, any idea what's going on here?
Pictures of the eggs? How are you keeping them after you pull them?
How long have you had the adults?

toan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Pictures of the eggs? How are you keeping them after you pull them?
How long have you had the adults?
I've just gotten the adults 3-4 months ago.

they laid a batch of 5 eggs initially after 2 months, and of those only 1 made it. subsequently, I've had batches of 2-3 eggs and none of them have made it. I have 1 tadpole.

I've tried a few different ways to keep them, 1 move them to a new petri dish and add a little water, 2 keep the same petri dish add a little water, 3. the latest (the photos) i move them to a new plastic container i use for tarantulas and add a little water. I've already removed the two dead eggs seen in the photos below.

I usually do get them to at least the tails stage as you see here in the photo, but at some point they turn to a gray mash.

tads2.jpg

tads1.jpg

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer

they laid a batch of 5 eggs initially after 2 months, and of those only 1 made it. subsequently, I've had batches of 2-3 eggs and none of them have made it. I have 1 tadpole.

I've tried a few different ways to keep them, 1 move them to a new petri dish and add a little water, 2 keep the same petri dish add a little water, 3. the latest (the photos) i move them to a new plastic container i use for tarantulas and add a little water. I've already removed the two dead eggs seen in the photos below.

I usually do get them to at least the tails stage as you see here in the photo, but at some point they turn to a gray mash.

View attachment 353521

View attachment 353520
My thoughts are a couple things:
1. Supplements for the adults: what do you use? When eggs don't develop people often try increasing the vitamin A that the adults get. If you're using a good supplement then this USUALLY isn't an issue
2. They might still just be new at trying to breed and need a few more tries to get it right.

More details would help

Last edited:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I have too many D. azureus froglets to feed! Normally, I would rent a booth at an expo to sell my babies, but I did not anticipate how long the shows would be cancelled. I called a few of the local shops in my area and seems like a few other breeders are in the same situation as I am.
I'd love to get some of them off your hands, but for one you're halfway around the world and secondly, I don't have any space at the moment. ;) I hope you'll get this sorted before they eat you out of house and home.

@Thekla thanks for sharing your FF set up! I like your idea of using of pantyhose. Do your cultures give off a "funky" fermented odor? I use mason jars and secure the top with a coffee filter and the metal ring. I have had zero problems and 100% success rate as well as 100% complete utilization of each culture since I switched to Repashy Superfly.
No, no funny odour. I don't have cultures more than 4 weeks old though... but until that point, you can only smell the apple cider vinegar a bit. :)

Nongkym

Arachnopeon

View attachment 353521

View attachment 353520
Are you using tadpole tea? Some of the eggs look appear to be swimming in too much water, and that can lead to suffocation of the eggs. The water level should be half way up the egg. The picture of the grey one looks like it drowned. In this picture the container seems to be on an uneven surface and that corner may have deeper water. How old are your breeders and are you supplementing vitamins etc.? Be careful not to over dose on vitamin A which can be a problem.

toan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the replies.

I did try to use tadpole tea in the past, and I've found that they develop further with clear RO water. I can try tadpole tea water again in the future to make sure it is not just by chance. The container is pretty flat, but it's probably the nature of the plastic that makes the water bead more than in a petri dish. In the past though, when I was using petri dish, they did not develop as far as in the ones in the photo. Also I don't know the age of the breeders, I got them as adults, and I suspect they were trade-ins at the pet store. The previous owner might have traded them in exactly *because* they tended to not produce good eggs.

I do supplement them, maybe once a week on vitamins, and every other day on calcium.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Thanks for the replies.

I did try to use tadpole tea in the past, and I've found that they develop further with clear RO water. I can try tadpole tea water again in the future to make sure it is not just by chance. The container is pretty flat, but it's probably the nature of the plastic that makes the water bead more than in a petri dish. In the past though, when I was using petri dish, they did not develop as far as in the ones in the photo. Also I don't know the age of the breeders, I got them as adults, and I suspect they were trade-ins at the pet store. The previous owner might have traded them in exactly *because* they tended to not produce good eggs.

I do supplement them, maybe once a week on vitamins, and every other day on calcium.
What supplement brand are you using?

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I can join in!!!!!!! Meet Pennywise. Ceratophrys aurita.

View attachment 353643
My question is, were you keeping this little beauty before or did you obtain it in order to participate more practically in the thread (heh)? Either way my good man, you seemingly have a better collection than most zoological gardens.

basin79

ArachnoGod
My question is, were you keeping this little beauty before or did you obtain it in order to participate more practically in the thread (heh)? Either way my good man, you seemingly have a better collection than most zoological gardens.
Pennywise arrived early doors today via a courier. Been thinking of getting a frog again for a while. Pulled the trigger last Tuesday.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I don't know why, but I've never noticed this thread until now. So I'll be joining in on the pacman too I guess, since I've just got back into pacman frogs again.

I can join in!!!!!!! Meet Pennywise. Ceratophrys aurita.

View attachment 353643
That's the most light colored C. aurita I've seen so far. But many colors of C. aurita range from specimen to specimen. How large is this specimen? They usually darken with age.

Nongkym

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the replies.

Having the breeders for a short amount of time may be part of the issue since you do not have a feeding/supplement history. I use Repashy SuperVite about 2-3 times a week and alternate with calcium for my feedings when I am breeding or raising babies. Less often for my retired froggies. Are you feeding only fruit flies? Another possibility is breeding sibling clutch mates and too much in breeding (cue banjo music). That would definitely impact the development of the offspring and I have witnessed this occurrence in poor development of tadpoles and froglets with some of my fellow breeders. I saw a clutch develop into froglets and had no use of their front limbs. Very disheartening to witness. Temperature could also be another factor. Several potential variables to consider.

On a side note, I have always used tadpole with very high success. In my book, if it works- don't fix it. Somethings, e.g. faster development of embryos should not be rushed.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I had a male White's Tree Frog get out TWICE. Each time he was out about 3-5 days. I had bowls of very damp sphagnum moss sitting around everywhere.These are old pets, so I was pretty bummed and very proactive trying to find him. Both times, tho, he came back to his enclosure and waited on me to let him back in. :rolleyes: He's such a goober. I would be super panicked if a PDF ever got out. I am sure they would not last a half hour. My waxy monkey tree frogs never shoot out of their cage, they always use one leg at a time and climb on me to get out. Funny how different each species is. You get accustomed to their movements and you can head them off most of the time. Sorry, this wasn't a day in the frog room, more like reminiscing about my guys.