Today in the frog room

Thekla

Arachnoprince
They finally got the right tank in and exchanged it. :)

Now I get to start on a couple new builds! One18x18x24" and two 36x18x24" (can't do those until I get a new rack setup)
I'm really jealous, I wish I had the space for new tanks. :( :p

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I'm really jealous, I wish I had the space for new tanks. :( :p
I need a new rack before I can set them permanently up, but that's a problem for later lol.

Going to do the 18x18x24" this week, then figure out the new rack (I already have the space for the 18x18x24" prepared in my current rack), and the other two tanks

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I need a new rack before I can set them permanently up, but that's a problem for later lol.

Going to do the 18x18x24" this week, then figure out the new rack (I already have the space for the 18x18x24" prepared in my current rack), and the other two tanks
Even thinking about a whole rack of enclosures would be utopian for me. :rofl:

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
New build (another one :) )
36x18x24" Atasuki (the replacement for the incorrect one). This will house either Ameerega bassleri "Chrome" or Ameerega pepperi "yellow/gold" 20200703_075057.jpg

Thekla

Arachnoprince
The first clutch of eggs since I got into the hobby!!! YAY! :D

first clutch.jpg

Just discovered it, it's very early in the morning here. They must have laid it yesterday when my little Casanova and one of his girls basically spent the whole evening in that film canister. ;)
Now, I'm actually not sure what to do? Do I get it out? Or should I leave it in there because it might go bad anyway but to help the frogs to learn to care for it? What would you do?

Side note: Isn't it cute that 3 of my 4 Ranis always spent their night together in that bromeliad? ;) I have no idea where the 4th frog spends its nights though...

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer

View attachment 351772

Just discovered it, it's very early in the morning here. They must have laid it yesterday when my little Casanova and one of his girls basically spent the whole evening in that film canister. ;)
Now, I'm actually not sure what to do? Do I get it out? Or should I leave it in there because it might go bad anyway but to help the frogs to learn to care for it? What would you do?

Side note: Isn't it cute that 3 of my 4 Ranis always spent their night together in that bromeliad? ;) I have no idea where the 4th frog spends its nights though...
What I do with my Ranitomeya is leave the eggs in the tank for a week (or so) then pull them.

It's pretty cute to watch them pile into a bromeliad for the night. I once had 6 Ranitomeya sirensis in the same brom, including 2 sets where 2 frogs were in the same axil.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
What I do with my Ranitomeya is leave the eggs in the tank for a week (or so) then pull them.
Sounds like a plan... but could you explain to me why you wait a week?
Is it to let them care for the eggs for a while? And when the eggs haven't gone bad by then chances are better they'll develop further?

Oh, and is there a particular good trick/practise to get them out of the container? ;)

It's pretty cute to watch them pile into a bromeliad for the night. I once had 6 Ranitomeya sirensis in the same brom, including 2 sets where 2 frogs were in the same axil.
That's adorable! :kiss:

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Sounds like a plan... but could you explain to me why you wait a week?
Is it to let them care for the eggs for a while? And when the eggs haven't gone bad by then chances are better they'll develop further?

Oh, and is there a particular good trick/practise to get them out of the container? ;)

That's adorable! :kiss:
I wait a week to see if the eggs are viable. If they are starting to develop then I pull them, if they aren't developing then I leave them.

What I do is take the eggs in the film canisters and put them in another container intact, and then keep the new container humid/moist and monitor the eggs. When they start to hatch then I remove the tads and put them into a water cup.

For my Ranitomeya sirensis I leave the eggs with the parents since they'll transport them into water cups for me ;-) :cool:

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Sneaky sneaky mold. Looks like the springtails and isopods have had a hard time catching up, so I'll be doing some spot removing later and adding another batch of cleanup crew. I know a little mold won't hurt (it's an ecosystem after all), but this stuff looks like it's taking over the sphagnum layer and some of the cork bark as well. Rude. Beginning to suspect that my hygrometer is having some accuracy issues, so I'll be messing with that too. It's one of those cheap digital ones, so not a huge surprise. Anymore for humidity I just watch the frogs and the top layer of leaf litter. If the frogs are hiding and the leaves look dry I'll do a quick misting and they usually come right back out.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I wait a week to see if the eggs are viable. If they are starting to develop then I pull them, if they aren't developing then I leave them.
How do you see if they're developing? They're so tiny. :rofl:

What I do is take the eggs in the film canisters and put them in another container intact, and then keep the new container humid/moist and monitor the eggs. When they start to hatch then I remove the tads and put them into a water cup.
It was more like 'how do you remove them from the film canisters?' With a spoon? Flush them out? Gosh, this is all so new and exciting! :D

For my Ranitomeya sirensis I leave the eggs with the parents since they'll transport them into water cups for me ;-) :cool:
Afaik, R. variabilis should transport their tads as well and then leave them alone, but I'm not sure if they would actually use provided water cups or just use broms. Which would be inconvenient as I can't look into most of the broms. :p And I really don't want to be surprised by dozens of flighty little frogs I can't get out of the viv. It will probably happen anyway at some point, but for now I'm gonna pull those eggs and see if I can raise them myself. ;)

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
How do you see if they're developing? They're so tiny. :rofl:

It was more like 'how do you remove them from the film canisters?' With a spoon? Flush them out? Gosh, this is all so new and exciting! :D

Afaik, R. variabilis should transport their tads as well and then leave them alone, but I'm not sure if they would actually use provided water cups or just use broms. Which would be inconvenient as I can't look into most of the broms. :p And I really don't want to be surprised by dozens of flighty little frogs I can't get out of the viv. It will probably happen anyway at some point, but for now I'm gonna pull those eggs and see if I can raise them myself. ;)
I use water to flush the eggs out of the cups.

My sirensis have been good about putting tads into water cups and not into bromeliads.

zoeyw

Arachnopeon
I think they can sense the presence of others. Like something has changed in the jungle.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron

View attachment 351772

Aw that's awesome!! Congratulations @Thekla

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I like trolling this thread. I don’t keep any frogs, but there are some spectacularly cool looking specimens pictured here. Out of curiosity, what is the general life span of a frog well kept in captivity? Is there an appreciable difference in longevity between certain genera/species?

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I like trolling this thread. I don’t keep any frogs, but there are some spectacularly cool looking specimens pictured here. Out of curiosity, what is the general life span of a frog well kept in captivity? Is there an appreciable difference in longevity between certain genera/species?
Within dart frogs, it ranges (from what I've read) from 10 to over 20 years. There are people who've had frogs that were already adults when they acquired them for 20 years.

Nongkym

Arachnopeon
I have too many D. azureus froglets to feed! Normally, I would rent a booth at an expo to sell my babies, but I did not anticipate how long the shows would be cancelled. I called a few of the local shops in my area and seems like a few other breeders are in the same situation as I am.

@Thekla thanks for sharing your FF set up! I like your idea of using of pantyhose. Do your cultures give off a "funky" fermented odor? I use mason jars and secure the top with a coffee filter and the metal ring. I have had zero problems and 100% success rate as well as 100% complete utilization of each culture since I switched to Repashy Superfly.

Attachments