Today in the frog room

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Well, that's weird. And totally impractical. Why would they do that? :embarrassed: Good luck with returning it.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Well, that's weird. And totally impractical. Why would they do that? :embarrassed: Good luck with returning it.
It is designed to be able to be taken down for shipping, all the parts all fit inside the one glass box piece. It's a neat idea, and would make shipping them easier than a fully assembled tank , but not overly useful for dart frogs.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Started my next build. 36x18x18" exo Terra, Cork mosaic background

I drilled the drainage hole and set out the cork for the background: 20200530_205025.jpg

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I'm the last couple of days I've set up one of the two new tanks :), well partially set it up: made the background and drilled the drainage hole, still have to do substrate and plants and other landscaping...

I've also found what could be the future inhabitants of the tank: Dendrobates tinctorius "Robertus" , found someone selling a pair of them. I'm really tempted to, these would be my first tincs

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I've been working on my next terrarium. Here's how it looks so far 20200605_171112.jpg

And I picked up a few plants for this build (and just in general)

Peperomia puteolata 20200605_172742.jpg

Philodendron Birkin 20200605_172541.jpg

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I've had a run of luck with finding used tanks.
Picked up a 36x19x24" sliding door terrarium, needs cleaned but is in great shape, and a 12x12x12" exo terra that I can use for growing out froglets. All for a really great price.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
I've had a run of luck with finding used tanks.
Picked up a 36x19x24" sliding door terrarium, needs cleaned but is in great shape, and a 12x12x12" exo terra that I can use for growing out froglets. All for a really great price.
I like finding good second hand tanks, sounds like a great score

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
My teeny, tiny dwarf tree froglets (L.Fallax) are growing nicely, these guys are neat as they are always visible, they bask a lot and stay active during the days, I gave them winged fruit flies the other day and the mid-air acrobatics were sensational to watch. They are around 1cm long now.
IMG_20200614_122312.jpg

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
My teeny, tiny dwarf tree froglets (L.Fallax) are growing nicely, these guys are neat as they are always visible, they bask a lot and stay active during the days, I gave them winged fruit flies the other day and the mid-air acrobatics were sensational to watch. They are around 1cm long now.
View attachment 348885
Neat frogs! Video of the fly catching?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Having issues with the humidity/temp balance the last few days as things get more towards the normal summer temps. AC seems to want to go crazy sometimes, which dries out the tank, but without it I have a hard time keeping temps below 79F. I can't set up a MistKing unfortunately, so does anyone have other recommendations? I've seen those reptile fogger things for sale in some places and have been contemplating picking one up and setting it on a timer.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Oh and on a random secondary note, either some wild FFs got in one of my cups or I've got a few that have somehow mutated back to having wings again. Talk about a surprise when I was dumping some flies for the frogs this morning!

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Oh and on a random secondary note, either some wild FFs got in one of my cups or I've got a few that have somehow mutated back to having wings again. Talk about a surprise when I was dumping some flies for the frogs this morning!
Been there, done that. It wasn't super pleasant and the flies that escaped didn't make the wife terribly pleased...

The reptile foggers are, by others' accounts, vastly interior to mist King systems. Is there a reason you can't use a mist King?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Been there, done that. It wasn't super pleasant and the flies that escaped didn't make the wife terribly pleased...

The reptile foggers are, by others' accounts, vastly interior to mist King systems. Is there a reason you can't use a mist King?
Figured someone else would have that experience since the little buggers have such a small genome. Interesting watching mutation in action though (even though I'm not a fan of it in this case...).

From what I've read/seen (which admittedly isn't a ton), it's a pretty loud system that needs to be firmly set in place. Since my frogs are ~5 ft off the ground I may need to mount the pump on something. Since I live in a cheaply made apartment, they don't want us putting holes in the walls and since they're fairly thin walls it would be a disturbance for my neighbors too.

I've played with our AC system a bit over the last couple days and it seems like I can maintain the temps a bit better (still testing that though), so now it's just figuring out a way to maintain the humidity. I've got hydroballs as my false bottom but there's next to no moisture down there. I'm wondering how long the humidity would last if I added a bunch of water, really wetting the moss and AGB mix while filling the false bottom maybe a quarter of the way at most. Since it wouldn't be getting wicked up very much I'm not sure how much it would do.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Figured someone else would have that experience since the little buggers have such a small genome. Interesting watching mutation in action though (even though I'm not a fan of it in this case...).

From what I've read/seen (which admittedly isn't a ton), it's a pretty loud system that needs to be firmly set in place. Since my frogs are ~5 ft off the ground I may need to mount the pump on something. Since I live in a cheaply made apartment, they don't want us putting holes in the walls and since they're fairly thin walls it would be a disturbance for my neighbors too.

I've played with our AC system a bit over the last couple days and it seems like I can maintain the temps a bit better (still testing that though), so now it's just figuring out a way to maintain the humidity. I've got hydroballs as my false bottom but there's next to no moisture down there. I'm wondering how long the humidity would last if I added a bunch of water, really wetting the moss and AGB mix while filling the false bottom maybe a quarter of the way at most. Since it wouldn't be getting wicked up very much I'm not sure how much it would do.
The pump isn't that loud, loose hose pieces rattling around are what causes most of the noise. The pump can easily pump 10 feet vertically. My setup had the water line going up about 5' above the pump and it delivers plenty of pressure.
A possible solution is to install a reverse drain tube where you'd have a way to pour water info the drainage layer to then evaporate up causing Increased humidity.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The pump isn't that loud, loose hose pieces rattling around are what causes most of the noise. The pump can easily pump 10 feet vertically. My setup had the water line going up about 5' above the pump and it delivers plenty of pressure.
A possible solution is to install a reverse drain tube where you'd have a way to pour water info the drainage layer to then evaporate up causing Increased humidity.
Well shoot, if it's mostly the hose pieces then I can probably figure something out to muffle the noise a bit.

Reverse drain tube is new to me. I'll have to do some reading into that. It could be another option, especially if it evaporates at a decent rate.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Essentially it's just a tube you would use to pour water into the drainage layer instead of into the substrate

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
They finally got the right tank in and exchanged it. :)

Now I get to start on a couple new builds! One18x18x24" and two 36x18x24" (can't do those until I get a new rack setup)