To buy a pokie or not to buy a pokie?

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Joined
Mar 3, 2003
Messages
606
My pet store has a P regilas (is that spelt right? lol) or indian ornemental( now i know that isnt spelt right :} anyway i was debating weither to buy one or not....i really want a aboreal spider but i would rather a umm slightly more nicer one =D

anyway its about 2.5 inchs from what i can see, is it a good idea to buy one with my experiance (which isnt much just nova lol) are they quite hard to look after? i know im doing a great job with nova :rolleyes:

anyway do you think i should and would be able to look after it to the best of my ablity? but the problems is being me and me being stupid( anyone quote me on that and you will regret it!) i will want to handle it....you think if i handle it from a young age it will be used to it? anyway post ur opinions please!

Thanks people
 

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Joined
Sep 27, 2002
Messages
1,258
I think given your ability you should totally buy it. Handle it alot too, they like that.


(sarcasm)


Bill
 

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Joined
Mar 3, 2003
Messages
606
Originally posted by conipto
I think given your ability you should totally buy it. Handle it alot too, they like that.


(sarcasm)


Bill
;P is 20 quid good for it?
 

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 20, 2002
Messages
907
What is that about $30 us dollars? I say if it is, then it's not a bad price at all.
 

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Joined
Mar 14, 2003
Messages
947
Originally posted by Grael
My pet store has a P regilas (is that spelt right? lol) or indian ornemental( now i know that isnt spelt right :} anyway i was debating weither to buy one or not....i really want a aboreal spider but i would rather a umm slightly more nicer one =D

anyway its about 2.5 inchs from what i can see, is it a good idea to buy one with my experiance (which isnt much just nova lol) are they quite hard to look after? i know im doing a great job with nova :rolleyes:

anyway do you think i should and would be able to look after it to the best of my ablity? but the problems is being me and me being stupid( anyone quote me on that and you will regret it!) i will want to handle it....you think if i handle it from a young age it will be used to it? anyway post ur opinions please!

Thanks people
If I can find the strength and intestinal fortitude to purchase an Orange Bitey Thing then you can most assuredly find the will to buy a Pokey.
 

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 19, 2002
Messages
267
Definatly get one. They are an awsome display spider.... my favorites. that is certainly a fair price.

IT's good to get them small like that to get you used to dealing w/ fast aboreals.

Trial by fire.
 

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 7, 2002
Messages
672
Originally posted by Grael
i really want a aboreal spider but i would rather a umm slightly more nicer one =D
Thanks people
Slightly more nicer?
Anyways :) ...I think P. regalis, as with other within the genus, are more of a look, not handle, type of species. Actually, I'd rather look at a Brachypelma smithi, than handle it, but that's my view. Just go ahead and buy one. It'll only step up your difficulty level.
john
 

Attachments

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 20, 2002
Messages
1,062
Get it, but be careful. Im getting one, hopefully on Monday. I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited. ^.^ Nervous, but excited. Oooh-eee. =D Oreo !
 

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Joined
Feb 18, 2003
Messages
2,040
Grael, 20 quid is good for a Pokie in the UK - especially when you consider microscopic versicolor slings go for 10,, and adult P murinus can fetch up to 50 in pet shops.

As for the "should you get it" guestion - personally I'd say no. But then I had 2 P murinus (Ornage Bitey Thing & Yellow Bitey Thing) as my 2nd and 3rd spiders, so who am I to talk.
If you go for it, just keep your wits about you and remember that it is a "look, don't touch" spider
 

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Joined
Apr 8, 2003
Messages
679
£20 is a respectable price for a 2.5 inch P.regalis as far as I can see. The shop in Notts that I have bought from has some excellent adults in tanks for £70. My local spider shop has P.regalis slings for £20 - £30.
I see these for sale a lot in pet shops. Is the bite that bad? I know they're fast and agressive, but how venomous are they?
 

Dessicata

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Joined
Mar 17, 2003
Messages
373
i thought their venom was thought to be more potent than any other T? They do seem quite common place though, most places seem to sell them
 

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Dec 5, 2002
Messages
1,717
Hey Grael,

where's the pet shop? Is it in Swansea?

Cheers,

Dan.
 

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Sep 1, 2002
Messages
1,056
Originally posted by Dessicata
i thought their venom was thought to be more potent than any other T? They do seem quite common place though, most places seem to sell them
Actually, I think the genus with the most potent venom is Stromatopelma (sp?) but I'll let someone else verify that...

I'm so jealous!!!! I have NEVER seen a Pokie at a pet shop. The only species I've seen in a pet shop are G. rosea, A. seemanni, A. avicularia, and P. murinus (Mombassa Golden Starburst). But that's probably a good thing as most of these places have no clue what they are doing.

Grael, I don't know if a Pokie is the best 2nd tarantula but it's been done before. If I were you, I probably wouldn't handle it because you're... um... how can I say this... kinda skinny. I bet the venom would effect you more than a full grown man. Probably knock you flat. Just know what you're getting into. You've only had your genic for, what, a month or so?

kellygirl
 

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Joined
Feb 18, 2003
Messages
342
Personally, I wouldn't get a Pokie as my second T. I really desperately want one, but I don't think I am ready for one of those monsters yet. However, if you feel confident that you'll be able to look after it, and will have your wits about you 100% of the time, then go ahead. Good luck, £20 isn't bad and they're beautiful creatures.


Originally posted by luther
£20 is a respectable price for a 2.5 inch P.regalis as far as I can see. The shop in Notts that I have bought from has some excellent adults in tanks for £70. My local spider shop has P.regalis slings for £20 - £30.
I see these for sale a lot in pet shops. Is the bite that bad? I know they're fast and agressive, but how venomous are they?
Would you mind giving me the name of that shop in Notts? Notts isn't far from me and it'd be nice to add another tarantula shop to my small list of 2 :)
 
Last edited:

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Joined
Mar 3, 2003
Messages
606
Theres a new shop opened near me well has been open for about 4 months new indoor market called "inshops".

I think ill leave it for now then lol. I asked him could he get me in a vericolor or Suntiger(sorry forget scientiftic name) i REALLY REALLY want a suntiger they are just pure beauty.
 

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Joined
Mar 14, 2003
Messages
947
Originally posted by Lopez
Grael, 20 quid is good for a Pokie in the UK - especially when you consider microscopic versicolor slings go for 10,, and adult P murinus can fetch up to 50 in pet shops.

As for the "should you get it" guestion - personally I'd say no. But then I had 2 P murinus (Ornage Bitey Thing & Yellow Bitey Thing) as my 2nd and 3rd spiders, so who am I to talk.
If you go for it, just keep your wits about you and remember that it is a "look, don't touch" spider
We're going to have to talk! I need some Orange Bitey Thing tips. I'm just hoping all my superstition against this spider is unwarranted like it was for the Cobalt Blue. From what I was told about them, I was prepared for a nasty little demon, but Luci's turned out to be quite a little let down sort of. She's not the little Cobalt Blue bitey thing the petstore owners were making her out to be.
 

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Joined
Mar 3, 2003
Messages
606
Originally posted by Godzilla2000
We're going to have to talk! I need some Orange Bitey Thing tips. I'm just hoping all my superstition against this spider is unwarranted like it was for the Cobalt Blue. From what I was told about them, I was prepared for a nasty little demon, but Luci's turned out to be quite a little let down sort of. She's not the little Cobalt Blue bitey thing the petstore owners were making her out to be.
hehe they have a orange bitey demon thing in the store too, its about 2 inch! very nice looking but i wanna stick to my aww thats cute <pick up and watch it crawl all over me) and not aww isnt he nice<pick up and get 1 inch fangs thrown into my skin :D )
 

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Joined
Mar 14, 2003
Messages
947
Originally posted by Grael
hehe they have a orange bitey demon thing in the store too, its about 2 inch! very nice looking but i wanna stick to my aww thats cute <pick up and watch it crawl all over me) and not aww isnt he nice<pick up and get 1 inch fangs thrown into my skin :D )
Except for my Pink Zebra Beauty Gypsy, and possibly my Rio Grabnd Gold Peaches when it gets older, most of my Tarantulas I tend to leave alone. Out of the bunch I have 4 defensive spiders, a Cobalt Blue, Vietnamese Tiger, Skeleton and the Andean Stripeknee can be a little pisspot. But it's oh so cute to see the little barelt 2 inche bugger throwing up a defensive stance at a cricket. The rest are pretty docile. I think I need to get more docile Tarantulas. What do you think?
 

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Joined
Mar 3, 2003
Messages
606
Originally posted by Godzilla2000
Except for my Pink Zebra Beauty Gypsy, and possibly my Rio Grabnd Gold Peaches when it gets older, most of my Tarantulas I tend to leave alone. Out of the bunch I have 4 defensive spiders, a Cobalt Blue, Vietnamese Tiger, Skeleton and the Andean Stripeknee can be a little pisspot. But it's oh so cute to see the little barelt 2 inche bugger throwing up a defensive stance at a cricket. The rest are pretty docile. I think I need to get more docile Tarantulas. What do you think?
lol maybe i just got the one YAY shes dosile as hell i read they tend to be nervous and semi defensive but ive had no problem with her other then her super speed! shes like on speed when shes out running all around the place, almost lost her behind the sofa last time :rolleyes:
 

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Joined
Mar 14, 2003
Messages
947
I bought an extra big Pet Pal like I buy for all my dfensive spiders. Hopefully that will give my Orange Bitey Thing enough room to run around at night when all my spiders come out to play. Does your Usumbara ever do a happy dance when given a few crickets? My Cobalt Luci did this the other day when I fed her. She ran around the bottom of her enclosure, leaped down and nabbed a cricket, then crawled her walls with the cricket in her mouth. She then grabbed another cricket by swooping down on it, and then she leaped down onto the terrarium moss. It was quite an amusing sight to see.
 
Top