Threat pose?

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Hi. I tried to look it up, but couldn't find it.
Do true spiders exhibit threat poses like Ts?

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
Unfortunately for me that tribe is located deep in the Amazon, and the place where I work is not that deep. But hey, I get to find cool animals. I'll take that any day.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I've observed the threat posture in:
Latrodectus Hesperus, cornered, almost out of her web, with egg sack present.
Several Nephila, when the web is disturbed and males are present
A couple of Lycosids south of San Diego
A salticid paired off against another male
A lynx spider facing off a crab spider
Never observed sparassid use the posture.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Definitely. Both my Macrothele gigas and my Ctenus red fang have threatened me. It's adorable.

Use watch the first few seconds.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Yes, my Hogna carolinensis gave me one the other day, it was pretty pissed off. It was almost bent all the way backwards with its front legs high in the air. This is just because I opened the lid. She was having a really bad day apparently.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Sorry for the duplicate post but I have an other example. Once in the work bathroom there was a woodlouse hunter. I tried to save it because I knew other workers would kill it. I took a piece of paper towel and tried to coax the spider onto it. It threw back a gnarly threat posture and its fangs were out. Eventually I got the spider onto the paper towel and released it outside.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Sorry for the duplicate post but I have an other example. Once in the work bathroom there was a woodlouse hunter. I tried to save it because I knew other workers would kill it. I took a piece of paper towel and tried to coax the spider onto it. It threw back a gnarly threat posture and its fangs were out. Eventually I got the spider onto the paper towel and released it outside.
Lol. No good dead goes unpunished.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Conjecture. The threat pose is organic genetic similar to a dog snarling and baring it's teeth. Or a cat, hunched down, teeth bared, weight off center and one paw raised, ready to take a swipe.

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
If you want to see a threat pose+hiss in an arachnid, get yourself some Acanthophrynus coronatus. Those things are big, bold, AND loud.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
If you want to see a threat pose+hiss in an arachnid, get yourself some Acanthophrynus coronatus. Those things are big, bold, AND loud.
Jeeeeez @wizentrop! I looked up that evil beast. I first thought how cute! Then it turned into the obt of whips.:vamp:
To be fair I'd act like that and worse if I was being poked like that.