This will be my first tarantula

Devin B

Arachnobaron
I got a b. Smithi spiderling from petco (i would not recommend pecto unless its the only place avaliable). It was only $20 so it was really cheap. I think that getting a spiderling as your first is fine as long as you do the appropriate research on its needs. Mine was about a half inch when I got it as my first T in September, and its doing great.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
For a first Tarantula, I'd look for one at least 2-3" in length. Past the sling stage, they'll be much hardier, not as pricey as an adult. I'd also try to find a sexed female. She'll be with you a lot longer. I'd start with a G pulcripes, they are generally very steady and calm. Any T can have a bad day, usually let them walk out and and onto your hand and you'll both be fine.

Others very worthy of consideration would be a B smithi, but a female will be a little pricey. A B albopilosum, is probably the lowest cost, and a great choice, as is an A hentzi. There are other great ones, but they are more expensive. Save it for the 2nd purchase. It will happen.

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
My first hobby tarantulas were Avicularia versicolor slings, about 3/4" when I got them. If you do lots of reserch and ask questions and know how to care for them, avics are very easy to care for and they are absolutely adorable balls of fluff with striking colors. I'm sure your family would fall in love with them immediately. I'd suggest a versicolor as long as you can provide proper care for it.

My current favorite of my avics is my Avicularia minatrix, who is only about 1/2" right now and only get up to 2.5 to 3 inches. I would recommend this one too, mostly for their size and color and the fact some say they are more hardy than other avics (I don't know if they are more hardy or not, they seem the same to me, but I've only had mine a few weeks at this point).

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Go with a Brachypelma albopilosum, around 3.5". Female. Feed a ton of gut loaded crickets and stand back. My big girl was around 3.5-4.0" when I got her in Feb. Now she's huge and one more molt til maturity. She's droll, docile and has a wonderful personality.

The E. sp Red is curious, gentle, docile and goofy. She's a dwarf. Get a older juvie or mature female.

I got a Grammostola pulchripes sling from cold blood. Don't know if it's a girl or boy, but she's docile and not skittish.

Welcome.

smc

Arachnopeon
Go with a Brachypelma albopilosum, around 3.5". Female. Feed a ton of gut loaded crickets and stand back. My big girl was around 3.5-4.0" when I got her in Feb. Now she's huge and one more molt til maturity. She's droll, docile and has a wonderful personality.

The E. sp Red is curious, gentle, docile and goofy. She's a dwarf. Get a older juvie or mature female.

I got a Grammostola pulchripes sling from cold blood. Don't know if it's a girl or boy, but she's docile and not skittish.

Welcome.
I plan on working with dubia roaches as I hear a better review from them

Lessej

Arachnopeon
Well welcome to a super nice hobby, hope you will like it here, and good hunt with finding yourself a spider. Here is some great beginner species for you, and hopefully can calm your wife down. <3 :)

Brachypelma albopilosum
Brachypelma emilia
Brachypelma smithi
Grammostola pulchripes

These are awesome species <3
Hi SMC,

I vote +1 for G. pulchripes which louise f recommended. I have one and that's my first T and it's been going great! Easy to care for thus far, had this little sling for about 2 months. About one inch in size now. I highly recommend this species. My total cost with shipping was about $35 for the sling and 25 B. lateralis for food. The enclosure cost another $4. Total cost under $40 up and running. I already had sphagnum moss lying around the house for substrate and I used a small bottle cap for a water dish. Run a search for that species and check out the adults - very cool! I still have about 7 B. lats left and when they run out I'm switching over to mealworms.

One thing to keep in mind is if you want to have a nice tarantula to look at "right away", as others had said, pay a bit more up front and get a juvenile or sub adult. If you want to watch it grow from the size of a small/large house spider and into adulthood over the years, get a sling and go from there. Hope all this helps!

Welcome to the hobby. :pompous:

Last edited:

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would highly recommend trying to get a small sexed female if you can swing it. My first was a B. smithi but they are quite pricey.
-Expect to pay about $20 for shipping 2-3 day with no live arrival guarantee (LAG).
-Sexed females are easily $60+
-premade enclosures can be pricey for a larger size but you shouldn't need one until your T is about 3-3.5".

With the wife, I have some do's and don't's you might consider:

Do:
  • Explain escapes are easily preventable with proper care.
  • Explain new world (NW) venom is normally quite harmless (there are a couple exceptions).
  • Tell her they smell less than any hairy animal you've ever cared for.
  • Explain that they're beautiful creatures that are best thought of like fish.
  • Not sure if I'd volunteer this, but even old world (OW) lack the venom capacity to kill children, but will mess up your day.

Don't
  • Say it's going to be the only one - I made that mistake and now have a small collection and now can't make that "it's only one" argument with scorps and pedes. :embarrassed:
  • Tell her they can't climb glass and smooth surfaces; I read that somewhere before starting and my smithi was a regular arboreal for the first couple weeks. :meh:
  • Don't EVER leave a molt on a dresser... just trust me...
Good luck!

cold blood

Staff member
I plan on working with dubia roaches as I hear a better review from them
Unless you are doing it for the pure enjoyment of having a dubia colony, hold off on a roach colony...its massive over-kill unless you have at least a moderate collection of like 40 or more ts.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Unless you are doing it for the pure enjoyment of having a dubia colony, hold off on a roach colony...its massive over-kill unless you have at least a moderate collection of like 40 or more ts.
I don't know, I started one with 100 baby roaches and I only have 13 Ts. While I do take care of them more than I do my tarantulas, they breed well and I probably only have like 400 of them now... wait... :anxious: that's well over 8 months of feeders...

Oh well, at least they're free now...:embarrassed:

Seriously though, they'll grow faster than your T can eat them. So unless you enjoy chopping them up ( :vomit: ) I have to agree here. Go with crickets or worms (or both) ... that is until you get a larger collection. ;)

Jeff23

Arachnolord
If @cold blood has any Grammostola pulchripes left, you will find them to be great quality and very calm. I have four of them. While some of them are partially burrowing as slings, they have stayed within sight most of the time. They are extremely good eaters and are growing fairly fast.

The Euathlus sp. red is another great variety, especially if you are willing to pay a little extra to get a juvenile or adult female. The slings are still very good choices but require a little patience for them to grow. EDIT* You may have to shop around to find available options for larger sizes in this variety.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
If @cold blood has any Grammostola pulchripes left, you will find them to be great quality and very calm. I have four of them. While some of them are partially burrowing as slings, they have stayed within sight most of the time. They are extremely good eaters and are growing fairly fast.

The Euathlus sp. red is another great variety, especially if you are willing to pay a little extra to get a juvenile or adult female. The slings are still very good choices but require a little patience for them to grow. EDIT* You may have to shop around to find available options for larger sizes in this variety.
haha, I have lots left.

louise f

Arachnoangel
Don't EVER leave a molt on a dresser...
Ohh man, i can`t even count how many times i did that just to spook away my mom and friends that hate T`s. I`m evil i know :p:D:D But at least i get some piece and quiet when i want too. Hahaha:rofl:

smc

Arachnopeon
I don't know, I started one with 100 baby roaches and I only have 13 Ts. While I do take care of them more than I do my tarantulas, they breed well and I probably only have like 400 of them now... wait... :anxious: that's well over 8 months of feeders...

Oh well, at least they're free now...:embarrassed:

Seriously though, they'll grow faster than your T can eat them. So unless you enjoy chopping them up ( :vomit: ) I have to agree here. Go with crickets or worms (or both) ... that is until you get a larger collection. ;)
I was thinking about the same thing just so I know I don't have to pay for food anymore plus I think I would be able to sale what I don't need well see

smc

Arachnopeon
When should the bedding be changed I saw on a video I found on the internet guy said sometimes every year is this true

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
When should the bedding be changed I saw on a video I found on the internet guy said sometimes every year is this true
I've never replaced substrate... I do regular maintenance and that seems to do a pretty good job. Then again my oldest enclosure is only 4 years old.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
No, it should never be changed unless an infestation of mites occurs, pesticides are sprayed, etc. etc. Spot cleaning every once in a while for boluses is enough.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ohh man, i can`t even count how many times i did that just to spook away my mom and friends that hate T`s. I`m evil i know :p:D:D But at least i get some piece and quiet when i want too. Hahaha:rofl:
If you're really sadistic, you'll pose them in their dresser. They go to get some clothes and SURPRISE!!
Muahahaha. :vamp: