This will be my first tarantula

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I live in western Pennsylvania how are they with cold
Pennsylvania???
Ah, you mean western Transylvania, man. No issues when cold weather is concerned. Just beware of bats searching for virgin blood... they turned crazy due to the lack of resources.

louise f

Arachnoangel
Pennsylvania???
Ah, you mean western Transylvania, man. No issues when cold weather is concerned. Just beware of bats searching for virgin blood... they turned crazy due to the lack of resources.
Hahaha friend, you sure know how to cheer people up. :D

mistertim

Arachnobaron
5" to 6" should be fine
My first was a B. smithi and they are awesome spiders, but they can be a bit pricey unless you get a sling. And I wouldn't necessarily recommend a sling as your first tarantula. Most of the species others have mentioned to you are pretty hardy even as slings, but nevertheless slings in general are a bit more finicky about their care than juvies and sub-adults or adults. My advice to you would be to start out with a sexed juvenile female if possible...they're small enough to where you can watch them grow but past the more precarious small sling stages.

If you're concerned about cost and want something that gets to a good size I'd check out a G. pulchripes. Very reasonably priced, decent growth rate, easy to find, easy to keep, very attractive, and get pretty darn big (up to 7-8 inches for females IIRC).

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What big species do you recommend
Define big?

The largest species a beginner "should" own is G. pulchripes. Females may reach about 6".

While all Ts are individuals, for a NW T that is large, this is the least likely to flick urticating setae. That is both readily available and not particularly slow growing.

Everything else, B. smithi, B. albo. B. emilia etc it's a crap shoot. You might end up with a great T, you may end up with a T that flicks urticating setae the moment the lid is removed to do husbandry.

If you want a small T, less than 4" the best is E. sp. Red., slow growing but extremely human tolerant. This species is even better in disposition than G. pulchripes by just a tad.

Last edited:

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A Brachypelma albopilosum makes a great 1st tarantula and it covers all you've asked cheap ( an understatement) they get pretty big and bulky they require no special care and most importantly as a general rule they are tolerant

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Define big?

The largest species a beginner "should" own is G. pulchripes. Females may reach about 6".

While all Ts are individuals, for a NW T that is large, this is the least likely to flick urticating setae. That is both readily available and not particularly slow growing.

Everything else, B. smithi, B. albo. B. emilia etc it's a crap shoot. You might end up with a great T, you may end up with a T that flicks urticating setae the moment the lid is removed to do husbandry.

If you want a small T, less than 4" the best is E. sp. Red., slow growing but extremely human tolerant. This species is even better in disposition than G. pulchripes by just a tad.

I love these liittle buggers

smc

Arachnopeon
Just want to say you all are awesome this is by far a forum that is very welcoming thank you all

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Just to throw it out there, my G. pulchripes is defensive and throws up a threat pose every once in a while. Individual t's can sometimes differ from the norm of their species. Usually though, G. pulchripes have a tolerant, mild temperament.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just to throw it out there, my G. pulchripes is defensive and throws up a threat pose every once in a while. Individual t's can sometimes differ from the norm of their species. Usually though, G. pulchripes have a tolerant, mild temperament.
So do all my Brachy's ;)

cold blood

Staff member
This is definitely what you want. G. pulchripes juvie

While food aggressive, they're typically pretty calm when food isn't involved. Females can reach 7", males will be smaller, like 5 inch range. Females can live over 20 years, males 4-7. Theyre a great species, and the species I would start with if I was to go back in time and start over. I started with a "rose hair"...terrible choice.

cold blood

Staff member
Wait seriously? Then my pulchripes is probably penultimate...
The MMs I've had have all been about 5-5.5", and the last molt to get that size was significant...I wanna say they were penultimate about 4.5, maybe a hair less"...although individual variances are to be expected, the few MMs I've raised are hardly indicative of every specimen.