Think my G Rosea is dead - had her 22 yrs

Kirsten

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm very sorry for your situation. New legs;new wings. Know you did your best for her and her time here was better because of you:)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
if she is totally unresponsive you can try flipping her on her back and putting a drop of water over her mouth. sometimes i even kind of push it into the spider's oral cavity and water's high surface tension can keep the drop balled up and out of their actual mouth

also, considering the likelihood that the spider was wild caught it could have already been 10+ years old when you got it. which would make your spider just a bit older than my 30 years. pretty crazy :)

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Amazing :) & sad :( at the same time

I hope most of us are as lucky as you to keep our Ts healthy for years to come.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I know what this is like. My first tarantula, a G. rosea, was bought around the late 80s and mine died just a couple of years ago. It's good to know there is another person that had a tarantula in captivity for over 20 years. I estimated mine was pushing just over 30 years old when it died as when I got it it had a legspan of about 3 inches. Don't ask how I remember that, I just do. :) And I also had a male G. rosea alive and well for about 9-10 years; most of those years he was "post mature."

- Lonnie

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
oh, and i don't consider bugs dead until the are stinky or crunchy.

... or in something else's belly

Link

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for all your help and kind words, think my fears are correct and she has in fact 'gone' just dont want to dispose of her in case she may be still alive (though cant see it) but ya know what I mean.
Its not like she has a pulse or it would be easy to tell !

I have put her in little plactic container within the tank for few days in case but as far as I can see there is no movement reaction to anything and she feels cool to touch.

Do they stiffen up when dead at all ?

will put pic on so may help (if I can)
That spider is almost as old as me. Dang.

Vespula

Arachnodemon
I hope she ends up pulling through for you. :eek:

I forgot to mention earlier... OH man, your tarantula is older than I am!!! {D

Zillah

Arachnopeon
Still no change this morning...have held her over water dish for about 20 seconds (not sure if should be longer) and no reaction.

She's still in ICU - within the tank as its still warm so will keep checking on her for next few days just in case.

Thank you for all your advice and kind words, it really helps that there are such lovely people out there.

Yeah I reckon that she probably was caught in wild and that at most she may be in early 30's - pity they cant be aged :rolleyes:

Zillah

Arachnopeon
Help again

she is definitely not dead, when lifted her wee ICU this morning I saw one of her spinerettes move up and down a few times and there is small amount of faeces on paper towels.
Have dripped a few drops of water into her mouth parts so I suppose I just need to keep doin what I'm doing and hope for the best.

Any other words of wisdom :clap:

p.s how often should I be giving her water ?

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Help again

she is definitely not dead, when lifted her wee ICU this morning I saw one of her spinerettes move up and down a few times and there is small amount of faeces on paper towels.
Have dripped a few drops of water into her mouth parts so I suppose I just need to keep doin what I'm doing and hope for the best.

Any other words of wisdom :clap:

p.s how often should I be giving her water ?
I would say once, MAYBE twice a day. The less stress you put on her, the better.

But you're doing an amazing job!

Zillah

Arachnopeon
Thank you - I've been off work for last few days so makes it easier to check on her..back to work tomorrow so I will worry I'm sure

Heres pic of her I took this morning and she does'nt look so bad - am a bit more hopeful now but if she's just dying of old age then not a lot I can do except relieve any stress

Attachments

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Have you tried leaving a waterdish under her mouth in the ICU.

(apologies if I've missed it in a previous post).

Vespula

Arachnodemon
Yay! I'm glad she's not dead!

but I have no wisdom... Just encouragement! I hope she continues to recover!

Zillah

Arachnopeon
Have you tried leaving a waterdish under her mouth in the ICU.

(apologies if I've missed it in a previous post).

Hav'nt left her with water dish, just held her mouth parts over it a few times in case she needed to drink....am not convinced she's dehydrated tho think its just old age.

Will keep her in ICU max of 6/7 days then put her back in clean tank, don't think can keep her in damp all time - only tiny bit of movement has been her spinnerets

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hav'nt left her with water dish, just held her mouth parts over it a few times in case she needed to drink....am not convinced she's dehydrated tho think its just old age.

Will keep her in ICU max of 6/7 days then put her back in clean tank, don't think can keep her in damp all time - only tiny bit of movement has been her spinnerets
From the photo you posted, she does look dehydrated. It may be the pic, but her abdomen looks shriveled. That's a good sign the T is dehydrated. That and the death- curl you found her in would lead me to think that anyway.

I would try to leave a waterdish under her mouth for a while just to see what happens. She can't drown as long as her abdomen isn't in the water. As you say, it may well be extreme old age, but I'd still give it a go myself.

Good luck with her Zillah.

jt39565

Arachnoknight
I wonder if anyone has possibly tried adding a little sugar to the water? I know with primates & mammals it helps with dehydration, just a thought.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i can't offer much in the way of advice since i have neither owned a T that long, nor had to ICU one yet.

however, i do want to wish you the best of luck with your girl and i hope she recovers fully.

Zillah

Arachnopeon
Thanks again guys

left her in ICU with water dish under her mouth for good 2 hours last, had to clean her out today as another wee 'poo' this morning.

Came home from work and had to replace paper towels again as she's pooed again (is that normal ?) - gave her 3 or 4 drops of water straight into mouth but does'nt seem to be any change.

The shop where I got her basically told me that she is an old girl and its just her time to go so (said that if any recovery was going to be made would have done so by now) - he was amazed how long I've had her and said that all the messing I'm doing with her will be stressing her out considerably so basically to let her 'go' in peace :(

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Your call Zillah. You've done a lot for her up to now. Kudos to you. If you want to put her back in her enclosure, I wouldn't argue with you.

If I were in a similar position I think I'd leave the T in the ICU until it died (or hopefully recovered). I get what you say about "stress", but I guess I'm one of those people who find it difficult knowing when to give up lol.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide. Not many people can say they owned a bug for 22 years! :clap: