Theraphosa spp. hybridization

esa space station

Arachnoknight
Two seperate lines (phenotypes) of.t blondi if was to buy a 1.1 pair of t blondi from e.g breeder A and a 1.1 pair from e.g breeder b they would both likely look different and unless you knew for sure that slings had been swapped traded amongst a very small circle of eu breeders group a wouldnt work with group b if you see what i mean.loads of times people have t blondi and think any male will do and wonder why they eat an infertile egg sac.this is what i know know later on in life.t stirmi are all the rage still because of price etc and not many wild t blondi out there anymore

In case your wondering btw my user name is a tribute to this fact.quote from a german breeder freind of mine." These are the t blondi collected from non coastal regions(originally before a genetic breeding line was established twenty year ago) they are the largest t blondi slings i ever did see.already 2nd molt and still 6cm leg span.they were originally(i found out)collected by a german group in area of north brazil near the e s a space station.the name of breeder is sven koeppler if you require any more info sorry for being wordy lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Two seperate lines (phenotypes) of.t blondi if was to buy a 1.1 pair of t blondi from e.g breeder A and a 1.1 pair from e.g breeder b they would both likely look different and unless you knew for sure that slings had been swapped traded amongst a very small circle of eu breeders group a wouldnt work with group b if you see what i mean.loads of times people have t blondi and think any male will do and wonder why they eat an infertile egg sac.this is what i know know later on in life.t stirmi are all the rage still because of price etc and not many wild t blondi out there anymore
Pretty big claim. But I certainly don't have any evidence against it. And I've certainly heard of Sven..

What are the differences then? They arw just from different areas? Can you even tell them apart? Any more info is welcome.

esa space station

Arachnoknight
Oh thanks btw it is true yes i had off sven in person! He told me and taught me a lot ! I was at a show actually and tempted to have a pair.from someone else! Needless to say he convinced me otherwise (if he hadnt thought i was testing him lol)if you go on utube and look for survival anglia also known as predators of the wild all about the goliath birdeater*it was made in 1993.if you look closely you will see t stirmi! No hairs on the 3rd leg joint(patella)or femora science had them confused until 2010 .they were filmed using table top photography btw as its a fake burrow purpose made on location .they are a sub species of t blondi i believe also check out boris striffler(in german)book .they are found in various parts of brazil/venezueula diffrerent parts for t stimi and also blondi

Oh thanks btw it is true yes i had off sven in person! He told me and taught me a lot ! I was at a show actually and tempted to have a pair.from someone else! Needless to say he convinced me otherwise (if he hadnt thought i was testing him lol)if you go on utube and look for survival anglia also known as predators of the wild all about the goliath birdeater*it was made in 1993.if you look closely you will see t stirmi! No hairs on the 3rd leg joint(patella)or femora science had them confused until 2010 .they were filmed using table top photography btw as its a fake burrow purpose made on location .they are a sub species of t blondi i believe also check out boris striffler(in german)book .they are found in various parts of brazil/venezueula diffrerent parts for t stimi and also blondi

Attachments

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
When they molt, T stirmi has bright red hairs. My understanding is that T blondi doesn't, which is why the common name is Burgandy Goliath bird eater. By the way, keep your camera ready because they look spectacular when that happens!!

The enclosure can be a bit tricky to set up because you need ventilation, humidity and an elevated temperature all at once. Temp and humidity gauges ARE helpful with these guys, even if you merely monitor them. Keep at least half of the cage near the hide fairly moist and the rest of the substrate slightly moist, but provide some elevated areas that are dry. Frog moss is a godsend for stabilizing this stuff, totally awesome.

You CAN'T ust pretend that they are a rose hair and be happy.

Once you get the enclosure running and stabilized, they really aren't that hard. You will certainly see them out and about from time to time, but mine prefers to stay in her hide most of the time.

They are extremely pouncy spiders and they'll eat practically everyday if you let them. I've been told that when you rehouse them, that can bring on a molt, but I'm skeptical about that even though that's what happened with mine.

Overall the temperament is more similar to an OW tarantula then a new world one. The fangs are huge.

One difference however is that the urticating hairs are no joke and it's best to keep your face away from the enclosure. Be a little careful doing normal maintenance as well.

T stirmi Mini me cage 3.jpg T stirmi Mindy hungry 1.jpg T stirmi mini me hanging out 3.jpg

Mine is a confirmed female, but at first I thought he was a male, which explains the name change.

boina

Lady of the mites
Pretty big claim. But I certainly don't have any evidence against it. And I've certainly heard of Sven..

What are the differences then? They arw just from different areas? Can you even tell them apart? Any more info is welcome.
I found this claim so astonishing that I sent Sven an email... I hope he'll respond, I don't know him that well.

esa space station

Arachnoknight
I found this claim so astonishing that I sent Sven an email... I hope he'll respond, I don't know him that well.
Would you like my name which is andrew to verify with him also
Theres no lying here
i travelled some distance to assatain a 1.1 pair t blondi the quote is from an email he sent the latter is part of a conversation we had in person at seas show london 2018.how much proof is needed on.your part to verify the truth .

Ho
I have been thru my emails there is a email we exchanged on january 23rd 2018
Quote these are from non coastal parents these are much bigger than the ones collected at the esa space.station already now the biggest spiderlings at 2nd molt i ever did see with 1,5 cm body and 3cm leg span .

boina

Lady of the mites
Would you like my name which is andrew to verify with him also
Theres no lying here
i travelled some distance to assatain a 1.1 pair t blondi the quote is from an email he sent the latter is part of a conversation we had in person at seas show london 2018.how much proof is needed on.your part to verify the truth .
I'm not accusing you of willfully lying - why would you think that? There may, however, have been some misunderstanding, like he found a new locality, but that doesn't mean that the T. blondi in the hobby have been mixed up or should not be crossbred. Why do you object to me just trying to get another account of this?

I'm a scientist. In science, nothing is true unless is has been verified by two different sources. I'm just trying to do that.

esa space station

Arachnoknight
I'm not accusing you of willfully lying - why would you think that? There may, however, have been some misunderstanding, like he found a new locality, but that doesn't mean that the T. blondi in the hobby have been mixed up or should not be crossbred. Why do you object to me just trying to get another account of this?

I'm a scientist. In science, nothing is true unless is has been verified by two different sources. I'm just trying to do that.
Im also a scientist and i have manyother interests also .i have no objection of course but i assure you no mistake has been made yoi can of course cross breed but its unlikely to work .you see twenty years ago within certain circles a genetic line was established more than one obviously .consequently most stock is still available today from certain breeders .it remains today for a reason .there has been many lone t blondi males lent out /paired up etc from a different source and no viable results!it was reccomended to me very strongly to pair brother&sister from same sac for a viable result assuming the male wasnt a dud.to me if someone has had success this way or someone they know then theres no question of it .

Kieron2626123

Arachnosquire

Suriname blondi and French Guyana blondi look different and can n have been cross bred

Are you positive about the difficulty of care? Last I checked @AphonopelmaTX stated he hasn’t really observed a difference in care requirements, as well as a few other keepers. It was discussed in a thread a while ago, I’ll see if I can go dig for it.
Easy to care for

Kieron2626123

Arachnosquire
Differences between strimi blondi u ask ? Just strimi are less hairy but get a bigger leg span blondi more bulky back to it all sp of Ts can be cross bred if done properly but no one really try’s cos it’s hated so much in the hobby personally I woudnt mind seeing a hybrid one day never know it could become a new Sp of Theraphosa evolution has its was they would of had to be hybrid to become wh at they are today at some point there didn’t just arrive out of thin air evolution of other animals are hybrids till u get what they are today no one really try’s to hybrid blondi an strimi just becoz the hate that will come with it but never know what will be uncovered in the wild one day might even by a new sp bigger than blondi strimi ect it’s all a might not definite like they said the chicken spider can get really huge but never seen them bigger then 9.5 maybe 10 max but they could get to 13 inch or more,there’s so many mights in this world,a lot of people say strimi is another variation Of blondi which I wouldn’t be surprised coz there’s hardly any difference apart from hairs probably a sub sp of blondi,like back in the 90s a documentary Was made about them and strimi was in there so they been around a lot longer then we thought I’ve raised all 3 only one that looks completely different is apophysis leggy and colours are much different where blondi and strimi are the same colour in between molts there’s a few up to 3 localities Of blondi Suriname,French Guyana and another one that’s been floating around for a long long time which has hairs on top on the femurs like apophysis I’ll post a pic :)

Someone was saying on the boards that CB specimens are easy to care for while WC specimens aren't due to the WC specimens needing elevated and specific humidity levels. Any truth to this?
Look at my recent big paragraph:) I explain alot

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Look at my recent big paragraph:) I explain alot
Doesn't quite answer the question I was asking lol (was posing it to everyone, but I'll just take it out as it's derailing the thread a bit), but still help for those who are wondering about T. blondi locales

Kieron2626123

Arachnosquire
Doesn't quite answer the question I was asking lol (was posing it to everyone, but I'll just take it out as it's derailing the thread a bit), but still help for those who are wondering about T. blondi locales
Yes in the past there have been hybrids between locals and they look different

esa space station

Arachnoknight
Yes in the past there have been hybrids between locals and they look different
Yes thanks i agree post on here i came across other day t blondi 2016 batch at 3rd instar and other at 2018 batch also third instar both moult look different also thanks for the insight on the 90s documentary i mentioned(survival anglia /predators of the wild giant tarantula rick c west 93 featuring both t blondi and t stirmi

T blondi 2018 batch french guinia

Kieron2626123

Arachnosquire
Yes thanks i agree post on here i came across other day t blondi 2016 batch at 3rd instar and other at 2018 batch also third instar both moult look different also thanks for the insight on the 90s documentary i mentioned(survival anglia /predators of the wild giant tarantula rick c west 93 featuring both t blondi and t stirmi
Yes they was hybrid when people didn’t know the difference between them all

T blondi 2018 batch french guinia
Not all I got Suriname too this year so yeah localities Are getting bred with each other

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
it all sp of Ts can be cross bred if done properly
Perhaps I'm just being trivial, but my understanding was that not all species of tarantulas can be interbred with one another. Many species within the same genus can be crossbred (hence the mess that the Brachypelma genus has become), but you can't cross a Pokie with an N. chromatus, for instance

Kieron2626123

Arachnosquire
Perhaps I'm just being trivial, but my understanding was that not all species of tarantulas can be interbred with one another. Many species within the same genus can be crossbred (hence the mess that the Brachypelma genus has become), but you can't cross a Pokie with an N. chromatus, for instance
Yes correct only sp in the same genus can b hybrid other wise the link will not work :)

Many years it’s been floating around a lot that striking was a natural hybrid between blondi/apophysis hence 4 pink feet at the front blondi side of it no pink feet at the back with it being stocky but leggy like the apophysis so hybrids really make new sp all around

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
From what little I've been able to find out & I'm not totally sure I trust it, T stirmi was given a separate species name & not thought of as T blondi red form precisely because they refused to interbreed when the attempts are made.

If you never had one of these in the genus & the T stirmi is thought to be more hardy, why no try that one first? Mine, which was wild caught, had turned out to be among the most interesting if my tarantulas.

Overall temperament is much more like an old world species.

esa space station

Arachnoknight
Ive had many a t stirmi i only have the blondi now i stopped bothering with uk pet shops who only sold t stirmi i only bother with e.u breeders these days uf anything t stirmi is more aggressive than t blondi from my exp .had my hand in tank with many adult female blondi never stirmi

Kieron2626123

Arachnosquire
If you think about it if you look up blondi from south Suriname they look different to French Guyana they was more or less the 4th sp of theraphosa,however some people say you can only breed the same local with the same local for breeding to work there is blondi in Guyana as well as stirmi so there must be out there a hybrid of both in the wild must be successful Because it’s natural In captivity we’d can’t give them what nature can in nature anything is possible all the goliath sp had to evolve From something they didn’t just appear out of the blue so they must be compatible To breed with something I watch the video on Goliath tarantula back in the 90s and it was a stirmi so they have been around along time we just didn’t know they was different slightly I think it’s very possible blondi/stirmi can cross breed so one just needs to try it never know could bring a whole entire new sp of Theraphosa to the plate who knows...

Also think blondi have no pink feet strimi only have 4 apophysis have all 8 seems like a mix between both sp