Species Theraphosa blondi

ozzytoys

Arachnopeon
good to know! i'm beginning to worry about JUGGERNAUT, since it's been about 7 weeks since he/she ate.

Kisato

Arachnopeon
good to know! i'm beginning to worry about JUGGERNAUT, since it's been about 7 weeks since he/she ate.
I wouldn't worry TOO much. As long as her abdomen doesn't look shrunken or wrinkly, she should be fine. Just make sure that there is a water dish that's always full with water at all times in her enclosure. She may not want to eat, but she'll definitely still drink! Also, if you haven't already, make a thread about it! It's always great to get other peoples opinions and advice!

Arachtion

Arachnobaron
So here are the pictures of Amazon making HIS final moult, great seeing as I bought it as a sexed female....

100_4099.jpg 100_4100.jpg 100_4101.jpg 100_4154[1].jpg 100_4155.jpg

And yes guys... this is the one that caused the itching problems as you can see him laying down all the hair on the first couple of pictures.

Nada

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
stinks to get a male when you buy a Female, but he's still a gorgeous T.

Arachtion

Arachnobaron
Thanks, id really grown to like her/him as well :( well the guy ha offered refund or exchange for another (if he can find one) or other spiderlings or females or whatever.

Nada

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd keep him, and try and loan him out. Tell the guy you want credit for the difference in price.

MB623

Arachnoknight
A couple years ago I bought a 6 inch (15cm) WC female T. stirmi that molted for me a few months after purchasing and it ended up being a male. I contacted the guy who sold me the t and he had gotten out of the hobby and wasn't able to refund or replace the t. I guess you win some and you lose some.

Arachtion

Arachnobaron
A couple years ago I bought a 6 inch (15cm) WC female T. stirmi that molted for me a few months after purchasing and it ended up being a male. I contacted the guy who sold me the t and he had gotten out of the hobby and wasn't able to refund or replace the t. I guess you win some and you lose some.
Even if he wasn't in the hobby still could have offered you something but yeah, I'm gonna be very reluctant to buy a "sexed" female again unless it's displaying blindingly obvious sexual dimorphism, ive had OBT, P.cancerides and now blondi mature as male this year already :(

3skulls

Arachnobaron
Sucks that you bought him as a female but that's one handsome spider.

I got burned on a female A. avic, molted out to be a male. :/

Arachtion

Arachnobaron
Sucks that you bought him as a female but that's one handsome spider.

I got burned on a female A. avic, molted out to be a male. :/
He's offered refund/exchange though, I've had about 5 unsexed moult out as males though already this year :( including "Ginger" my beloved OBT

carlson

Arachnopeon
How much less do the males last? I've heard of females making it too 20 years an then males ive been hearing like a few years to five tops? Is there a way to tell once your male is gonna pass or is it just a once mature their clock starts ticking an not much time left just cuz genetics? Sorry noob questions :)

Arachtion

Arachnobaron
How much less do the males last? I've heard of females making it too 20 years an then males ive been hearing like a few years to five tops? Is there a way to tell once your male is gonna pass or is it just a once mature their clock starts ticking an not much time left just cuz genetics? Sorry noob questions :)
Got it in one, once they have their final moults and you see the male features the countdown begins but that can be anywhere from a few weeks to 18 months+ I have a mature male Haitian brown that must be a year old and still hanging on, but ideally unless you're thinking about breeding always aim to acquire females

Personally this guy has grown from 4 inches to the 9 inch legspan he is now in a year, a lot of a T's growth (male or female) depends a lot on how much you feed them and how warm you keep them, warm+abundant food means faster growth BUT this can shorten life span, I mean if I'd fed him less I'd have had him longer, but tbh I feed slings and juveniles more until they get a bit bigger then slow down so I can experience them as adults for as log as possible, but a lot of species go through fascinating colour changes and stuff as they grow like Avicularia versicolor so it's good to watch them grow as you miss out on that when you buy adults

Last edited:

carlson

Arachnopeon
Thanks, that's too bad males don't make it that long I guess ill hope my first two are females! :)

hearsemadam

Arachnosquire
yeah it does, has happened to me twice from the same seller and Ive learned my lesson not to buy from this person but one of the males is out in a breeding program as we speak.