Species Theraphosa blondi

Fred

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
wow, he/she grew a lot! Mine is currently in a premolt...

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
oh yeh, she's big, but as blondis go, YOU AIN'T SEEN NOTHIN YET

Dr Pies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice T. Looks similar in size to my Blondi.
Just noticed that the substrate looks very soggy-or is that just the pic playing tricks on me?

Nick_schembri

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The substrate is not as wet as it looks. Its moist but it is more than I usually have.I wanted to make sure there is enough humidity for the molt

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I FINALLY booted four snakes out of the house... and came back from the conference with this big girl. Yes, she is very handleable, the second pic shows my husband petting her big fat butt! :p The first pic is the "before" shot, the rosy boa was in there. And the last, well, you can see. She's got two waterfalls, an African violet, another plant, and the hide she's lived with for the past few years. I tried something new with this one, I buried a heat rock under the substrate on one side, I'm testing it out to see if she appears to utilize the warmth.

Last edited:

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
They just popped in, and before and after got switched! :8o

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you're using a heat rock...don't be surprised if you come home to a fried spider one day.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
DavidBeard said:
If you're using a heat rock...don't be surprised if you come home to a fried spider one day.
She did say that she buried it. Depending on how deep she buried it, I don't think it is hot enough to heat the substrate above it to dangerous levels.

Ravienne

Arachnopeon
I heard that spiders will instinctively dig to escape heat, though. But then, I could be wrong, like I was about blondis' growth.

She's a beautiful little lady, by the way. Well, perhaps not so little. . . Anyway, congrats!

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
becca81 said:
She did say that she buried it. Depending on how deep she buried it, I don't think it is hot enough to heat the substrate above it to dangerous levels.

It's under 6" of substrate. If she shows ANY signs of burrowing in that direction, it's outta there. And don't worry, I've had a tiny bit of experience with Ts, I wouldn't do ANYTHING that could potentially harm my big, fat baby!

ink_scorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Beautiful T. blondi! :drool: But I would file a "heat rock" in folder #13, if you know what I mean. IMO, a big waste of money. :embarrassed:

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Scorps_n_Ts said:
Beautiful T. blondi! :drool: But I would file a "heat rock" in folder #13, if you know what I mean. IMO, a big waste of money. :embarrassed:
I think MizM knows what she's doing and wouldn't do anything to harm any of her Ts. We all try out new things and it gives us more information on what works and what doesn't.

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just going on my experiences and knowledge of heat rocks from keeping reptiles for 10 years, I say the only good heat rock is one with a severed cord.

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Terry, congrats on the new edition !! my big mature male blondi is out on a breeding lone right now...hoping for a bunch of baby blondi's... ;)

Regards, Mike :clap:

ink_scorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
becca81 said:
I think MizM knows what she's doing and wouldn't do anything to harm any of her Ts. We all try out new things and it gives us more information on what works and what doesn't.
I read those exact words in one of your previous posts. I certainly wasn't insinuating that MizM would harm a T, so I don't understand where you read that. I was just voicing my experiences, as well as experiences that I've read about on boards such as this one. :D

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Scorps_n_Ts said:
I read those exact words in one of your previous posts. I certainly wasn't insinuating that MizM would harm a T, so I don't understand where you read that. I was just voicing my experiences, as well as experiences that I've read about on boards such as this one. :D
I only said that once. :?

Anyways, I'm not saying that you said that, I'm just saying it in general in response to a couple of posts regarding the heat rock. I wouldn't use by itself in a tank, but I've never thought about burying it and it'll be interested to see if it works or not. I'm just saying that she has the experience to know what is and isn't dangerous, and although heat rocks are typically taboo, in this case it *may* be okay.

It wasn't necessarily directed at you and I wasn't trying to be rude. I apologize if it came off the wrong way.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Thanks for the confidence in my T keeping! No harm, all opinions welcome, even "lose the rock!" :D I enjoy, and learn from everyone's experiences, opinions, input, etc.

The heat rock is actually the old one from the rosy cage. She would lay on it after eating a big fat mouse to help her digest. She got very restless when I took it out, so I had to put it back in.

When I was creating the blondi terrarium, I was thinking that perhaps the extra heat well below the substrate would help keep the humidity up a bit, I detest misting, but blondis are so moisture dependant. It can't hurt to try, I'm observing her closely, and if it helps, why not? I also use roly-poly bugs in blondi enclosures to clean up any little vermin, mold or what-have-you that shows up.

This poor girl has never been given the opportunity to burrow, I'm anxious to see what's she'll do with different opportunities.