The top 10 largest-ish? ...Taran...Spid....Arachnids. ?

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the typo "Colombian Laser Back" made me lol.

i pictured a pissed off X. immanis covering serious ground with a laser strapped to its carapace {D

Dreadz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What a Grammostola sp. on the top biggest spider list? Wonder how long it would take it to reach 10.2" legspan lol. Isn't there a lot of arboreals that get 8"+ like L.violaceopes, and Pokies? Im sure there is some terrestrial T's that get 8"+. And what happened to #'s 3 and 7 on that list? One species cant take up 2 spots on a top 10 list of largest Spiders.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What a joke. They are all over the place with these figures. If we're considering the largest potential DLS rather that actual recorded size then hell, it could be any of a large number of terrestrial jungle rompers that fit into that 10" plus category. What about Theraphosa sp. Burgundy, what about all the Poecilotheria's and Lampropelmas and Chilobrachys (to name a few) who can exceed 10"DLS? How can they call a huntsman "bigger" than a T. blondi that outweighs it by 4x? Also, what about the 13" DLS documented L. parahybana male that currently holds the world record?

What a buncha crapola. Crap I say!

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Also, what about the 13" DLS documented L. parahybana male that currently holds the world record?

What a buncha crapola. Crap I say!

????
Do you mind to post the source?

Quixtar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't think you can properly compare tarantulas and true spiders in terms of size. While Heteropoda maxima has a huge legspan, it doesn't compare to almost any mid-sized tarantula in bulk.

If Theraphosa blondi is on that list, why aren't apophysis and stirmi? What about Lasiodora klugi? The theme seems to be legspan, so where are the Poecilotheria?

It's not just the spiders that are bad. Except for the top 2, the longest snakes are off too...

Last edited:

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There you go, I bet you didnt know about this.
:D I think there's a reason I didn't know all this. Spiders 12" in height? Tarantulas with legs 25cm long? Somebody should have noticed. I'd love to have a huntsman spider that had legs 30 cm long and stood 12" tall. Anyone got them on their price lists? :} The Goliath, with fangs long enough to skin a bird, sounds pretty impressive too.

My guess is this page was put together by some kid as a school project, and was not checked by any adult who took it seriously. And we should not take it seriously either. Let the kid have his fun. Send him gentle corrections if you are so inspired, but don't expect him to jump up and edit his page for scientific accuracy.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
:D I think there's a reason I didn't know all this. Spiders 12" in height? Tarantulas with legs 25cm long? Somebody should have noticed. I'd love to have a huntsman spider that had legs 30 cm long and stood 12" tall. Anyone got them on their price lists? :} The Goliath, with fangs long enough to skin a bird, sounds pretty impressive too.

My guess is this page was put together by some kid as a school project, and was not checked by any adult who took it seriously. And we should not take it seriously either. Let the kid have his fun. Send him gentle corrections if you are so inspired, but don't expect him to jump up and edit his page for scientific accuracy.
Im sure you know, but I was being sarcastic :).

Theres nothing right about that page. NOTHING.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
????
Do you mind to post the source?
Well... I was referring to what I thought was a Guinness record for DLS, I've head about it anecdotally for years. Google just let me down however, so I retract that bit. Still though, WTF? This info is so wrong I don't know where to start.

Maybe they can do a most venomous spider list as well starting with the deadly Brown Recluse that kills in minutes and is found throughout the entire North American continent, followed closely by the Iraqi Leaping Camel Spider which is a foot long and eats your face while you are sleeping. :rolleyes:

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well... I was referring to what I thought was a Guinness record for DLS, I've head about it anecdotally for years. Google just let me down however, so I retract that bit.
The most read record I have come across everywhere, was that the largest spider captured was a Theraphosa blondi (although Rick West told me he believes it was apophysis ) captured in Venezuela in late 60's early 70's that it was touching the 12" mark.

Anyway, the largest female I have molted at 10.5", and she has gained some serious size! :)If she has gained .5 or .75", we are looking at over 11"!

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Fran, it's quite possible that you have the largest spider in captivity. I wonder how one would officiate something like that? Easier to just weigh it...