The Story Behind Your Username

Lucky123

Arachnobaron
Lucky123 was actually a mistake, I thought my username for some other sites was Lucky123, but it was actually Skink123, Lucky is the name of my skink so you can see why I got confused.

aendi

Arachnopeon
Mine is my name spelled in the phonetic alphabet! Pretty simple lmao

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Well, mine goes back quite a ways. And not particularly interesting.

I am quite a big fan of J.R.R. Tolkien's"The Lord of the Rings". The books and much later, the movies. There was a parody of the books written a long time ago by the folks at the Harvard Lampoon. it was called "The Bored of the Rings". It was a goofy parody and now has a lot of dated references, some that even were before my time.
For those familiar with the original books, you may remember the character "Tom Bombadil" a fey woodland dweller who seemed to be just a whimsical character, but was actually quite a powerful entity, he just sort of went native, I guess you could say. He was unaffected by the One Ring and it was hinted that he was a very ancient being and that was much more to him than meets the eye. He spouted silly songs and was really just sort of a side character encountered by the hobbits during their journey.

So, the Harvard Lampoon created a character based on him, called "Tim Benzedrine". He was portrayed as a burnt-out, drug addled hippy, living in the forest with his old lady, "Hashberry" (a play on the character "'Goldberry', the original Bombadil's companion). The character amused me a great deal. There were references made by the authors that I didn't completely get until later, by the way, largely due to the fact that the book was written in 1969 and referred to a lot of sixties counter-culture items.

Years later, when I made my first venture into interaction into what was then early social media on the internet, a bulletin board called The Lord of the Rings Movie News" a site that followed the production and of course the development of the movie, that was the user name I chose.. This was around 1999, as I recall. I developed the personality that many of you have come to know and loathe here, not taking a lot very seriously, constantly making wise-cracks, wandering off topic, etc. Known for writing song parodies and sometimes slightly off-color posts and silly comments. And I was a mod, eventually. I was there until the site finally shut down, probably a decade later.
So I just sort of carried over the persona when I signed on here.

Last edited:

Swagg

Arachnoknight
Mine comes from half of my last name. When I went to basic training I had a drill sergeant that had trouble saying my full name. He started calling me swagg and the name stuck.

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
Oh dear, some of these backstories are really great and inventive.

My favourite order is Coleoptera and my first name begins with a C. There.:bag:

The Mantis Menagerie

Arachnobaron
It started with tropical fruit trees and then lepidopterans. But it was a mantis I found that fully led me down the invert rabbit hole. My collection is quite a diverse menagerie, and it was all started by a mantis.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
got a dictionary
opened up to 2 random pages and chose a word from each i liked
combined them and replaced S with Z
i liked the ironic contradiction between resonating, and nothingness. How could an empty and barren space, emit anything?

hence, RezonantVoid
been using it for years

Garnet3942

Arachnosquire
Well I mean this was just a name I wanted to use because my birth stone was Garnet but now that I think of it I do wanna change it because most of the time people think it's from a show. I honestly wanna change it lol. If you wanna know what I would change it to I would change it to midorkumo (greenspider in Japanese) mainly because my favorite color is green and my favorite animal is spiders! I do like the way it sounds too I think it's pretty!

my real name is William and I was thinking of an account name and I typed in mailliw my name spelled backwards and messed around a bit and ended up with mellow. :D
Lol that kinda reminds me of death note (sorry off topic lol)

Garnet3942

Arachnosquire
death note is one of my favorite anime! 😁
That's awesome it's one of my favorites too!! (My all time favorite is bleach) Although I did not get my obsession from any anime lol more like I was afraid and yet I was curious about them and realised how sadly misunderstood they were spiders are truly amazing creatures!

Heterogeneity

Arachnopeon
I came up with my username in 2011 after getting divorced young and joining a new website called Okcupid.com. Online dating was like the Wild West back then AND you couldn’t tell anyone you were doing it lest they judge. Anyway, I wanted a name that described me in one word. I’m a bit of a contradiction being raised a poor farm kid but having since traveled the world. My education was eclectic so I chose a word to reflect that inner chaos, er, diversity of experience.

mellow

Arachnobaron
That's awesome it's one of my favorites too!! (My all time favorite is bleach) Although I did not get my obsession from any anime lol more like I was afraid and yet I was curious about them and realised how sadly misunderstood they were spiders are truly amazing creatures!
One day I decided to hold an emperor scorpion at a pet store and then i bought one, and then I got a giant African flat rock scorpion and just kept getting more scorpions, i only got into keeping other bugs like tarantulas and centipedes after keeping several scorpions and wanted to try something a little different. 😃

SamanthaMarikian

Arachnoknight
It’s just my name because all my other usernames are my nicknames from when i was like 3 and i want to feel somewhat respectable 👁👄👁 But if i every change it it’s going to have beans or something legume related somewhere in it

Garnet3942

Arachnosquire
One day I decided to hold an emperor scorpion at a pet store and then i bought one, and then I got a giant African flat rock scorpion and just kept getting more scorpions, i only got into keeping other bugs like tarantulas and centipedes after keeping several scorpions and wanted to try something a little different. 😃
That's pretty cool! My dad does not like the whole keeping scorpian idea he likes tarantulas more I do like tarantulas a lot but scorpians are pretty cool too.

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
Well I have an advanced doctorate in the little studied subject of "Utterly Nothing", who wouldn't want a degree in that! Unfortunately it hasn't helped me to to get a job anywhere in that particular field :rolleyes:
My user name represents my chosen field of "Utterly Nothing" - reaching for the sky - in utterly nothing :rofl:

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Well I have an advanced doctorate in the little studied subject of "Utterly Nothing", who wouldn't want a degree in that! Unfortunately it hasn't helped me to to get a job anywhere in that particular field :rolleyes:
My user name represents my chosen field of "Utterly Nothing" - reaching for the sky - in utterly nothing :rofl:
However you may feel about your chosen field, your profile picture shows you are truly cultured and intelligent individual. If not for Hollow Knight i would have chosen a HZD machine as my avatar too! ;)

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
However you may feel about your chosen field, your profile picture shows you are truly cultured and intelligent individual. If not for Hollow Knight i would have chosen a HZD machine as my avatar too! ;)
Awww, thankyou! I've actually got that avatar as a real live Lego MOC build... sitting on my desk next to my laptop! Built him without instructions and with no experience as a Lego builder! I have yet to give him a name...