The Story Behind Your Username

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Hmmm, maybe we should find the old thread on this topic and link it?
Where did your screen names come from?

Please take a moment and share with us The Story Behind Your Username. :)
Ungoliant (Sindarin for “dark spider”) is a primordial being that appears in Tolkien’s The Silmarillion. The mother of Shelob, she takes the form of a giant spider that feeds on light; she briefly allied herself with Melkor/Morgoth (the original Dark Lord once served by Sauron) in order to drink the light of the Two Trees of Valinor.

The Silmarillion said:
There, beneath the sheer walls of the mountains and the cold dark sea, the shadows were deepest and thickest in the world; and there in Avathar, secret and unknown, Ungoliant had made her abode. The Eldar knew not whence she came; but some have said that in ages long before she descended from the darkness that lies about Arda, when Melkor first looked down in envy upon the Kingdom of Manwë, and that in the beginning she was one of those that he corrupted to his service. But she had disowned her Master, desiring to be mistress of her own lust, taking all things to herself to feed her emptiness; and she fled to the south, escaping the assaults of the Valar and the hunters of Oromë, for their vigilance had ever been to the north, and the south was long unheeded. Thence she had crept towards the light of the Blessed Realm; for she hungered for light and hated it.

In a ravine she lived, and took shape as a spider of monstrous form, weaving her black webs in a cleft of the mountains. There she sucked up all light that she could find, and spun it forth again in dark nets of strangling gloom, until no light more could come to her abode; and she was famished.
The Silmarillion said:
Of the fate of Ungoliant no tale tells. Yet some have said that she ended long ago, when in her uttermost famine she devoured herself at last.

My avatar is Muffet’s battle sprite from Undertale, which I colorized.

GordoOldman

Arachnoknight
As time passes we all gain experience and knowledge in subject matters we pursue. Often before we realize it, we are long in the tooth and grey in the muzzle, and have accumulated experiences and stowed away insights and facts. As individuals many times we do not realize how much of our time and energies have been used in those pursuits or how much we have absorbed...until we happen to engage someone much younger (in age or in pursuit of our passions) and they point it out.
It started out of habit (and factual clarification!!) I would remind people I am just a fat old man...nothing more.

Spasshasser

Arachnopeon
When I returned from Afghanistan to Garrison in Germany my wife liked to remind me that I wasn't very fun loving so she dubbed me Spaßhasser, or fun hater. So it stuck, and since it's probably the least common username on the internet I never have to worry about it being taken.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Mom: "Hey everybody. Meet our new family member"
DD: "Yo! We finally get to meet The Snark of the school!"
From my penchant for ditching classes, rarely being where I was supposed to be, and suddenly vanishing: "softly and suddenly vanish away, ..."
And of course, going to a brain free mindless get-in-line-and-do-what-you're-told tedium skool, An Agony in Eight Fits. And my domain where I ditched to, the mountains above the town I lived in, an island filled with chasms and crags. Where the cops and truant officers balked, considering my pursuit hopeless.

Last edited:

8toesdown

Arachnopeon
10 toes down is a slang phrase that basically means “I’m all in” so I went with 8toesdown for obvious reasons lol

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I live in British Columbia. I like scorpions. Not the most exciting story haha

heymrzrobinson

Arachnopeon
I’m, well, I’m Mrs. Robinson. I went from a really rare maiden name to Robinson. It makes people smile when they see it... or play the song over and over in their heads.

jroachboy

Arachnopeon
mine, jroachboy, is the first letter of my first name, Jesse, and then roach because i love cockroaches. And then boy because... i’m a boy.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Leonhard Euler was arguably the world's greatest mathematician. There's a common joke among mathematicians that theorems are named after the person who discovered it after Euler - because if we named it Euler's Theorem for everything he discovered... yeah, it would get confusing very quickly. The dude basically had the cheatcodes to math.

One of his more famous contributions was Euler's Constant. It's the basis for the logarithmic scale, and is used in everything from astronomy to neuroresearch to photography. He may have been Swiss, but the vast, vast majority of significant mathematicians were native to Germanic countries. As such, it's common that high level mathematicians learn at least some German to be able to read the original writings of these other researchers. A "constant" in mathematics is an incredibly common term, and is translated to "konstant" in German.

Thus, Euler's "Konstant", or EulersK.

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
"Chroma Trigger" is a word play on the species Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens and the good old video game "Chrono Trigger". Ironically, the GBB is only my second favorite T and I've never actually completed Chrono Trigger... B. smithi/hamorii are my favorite species and Mass Effect 2 probably my favorite game.

Chroma Trigger sounds kind of catchy though and also hints at my passion for shooting and the military.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Mine's basically a Gravediggaz reference (Too Poetic used the alias "The Grym Reaper" when forming the group) and a light-hearted stab at my annoying habit of cheating death because I'm a hip-hop head with a warped sense of humour.

Spideymom

Arachnopeon
My name started about 5 years ago when we moved into our new home. We had milk goats and wanted to breed them. We saw a neighbor had goats and was wondering if she was willing to breed with ours. She then explained hers were female as well, but she could use our help watching animals when she went on expos up and down the east coast.

Little by little we learned about what these expos were and that she bred and sold Tarantulas, scorpions, centipedes millipedes, beetles, isopods and roaches. So we got our very first Tarantula. Now we have over 50+ Tarantulas, hence the name, and we collect isopods and millipedes.

fried rice

Arachnoknight
I didnt know what I should make my name, so I just made my name my favorite tarantula genus.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Mine's essentially baby speak. Pidder peets -> Spidder feets -> Spider feet. I had my A. avic in mind when making my username, and those feet are just too precious. I got a little bit gushy in the moment, so I couldn't help myself. :bag:

Certainly sounds cooler than "Spider Feet", at least

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
I started on AB with a gaming name that I created on another website, a realistic alias for a recreation of a real world country but on the internet. I decided that I didn’t want to be hounded by the people from the other website, since there were a lot of them, so I spent the money to change my username. It was worth it.

Now I was left with making a decision. What did I want my name to be? I couldn’t let my username be lost in the arachnoabyss. I had to reach into the depths of my mind to come up with a name that met the needs of my online image. First, I love millipedes. Second, I’m mad that I don’t have more. Therefore, I have become... MadMilli. Only a level of science unknown to man could create such a username. I cannot tell my secrets.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Chris = just my real name, which is Algernon :pompous:

LXXIX = 79, but no real reason whatsoever for that.

:troll:

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Mack.....the first make of semi truck that I bought on my own.Took a second loan out on the house to get it.Ran Denver/Seattle/LA.
1855....my month/day/year of birth.