The rarer breeds - what are they these days, really?

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I got this info from this thread.

Hers a male I had years ago, indeed a rare spider in the hobby.
indoors w/flash

outside natural sunlight

Matured and never saw this sp. again....

Later, Tom
Tom isn't the only one that says this T is rare seanbond.

I think you might have had them confused with L. fracta.

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
its all about who ya know, not what you know
when it comes to buying that is...

I'm confused, you said all I had to do was search dealers lists right? Which ones in particular? I don't know anyone selling this spider on the boards at the moment.

Trav

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You have got to be kidding me right?

That is one pokie sp. that will probably never be in the hobby. No one even knows what it looks like. I'm pretty sure the only preserved specimen is a male and it is washed out over the many many years it has been in alcohol.

As far as p. smithi goes, there are people who have true smithi. They were cross-bred with pederseni a while back and there was alot of confusion as to who had what. But apparently over in Europe there are some untainted blood lines and I think there may even be some solid blood lines here in the states. I know of one person who has one on the boards and they just recently posted a ventral picture in the poecilotheria picture thread.

Hilikus check this thread out. I know it's on another forum, but it has so many beautiful pokies in it, including p. smithi.

Here is another link that shows pictures of p. smithi.
This is claimed to be P. uniformis
http://www.exotic-animals.org/pajki/opis_vrst/nove_vrste_12/poecilotheria_uniformis/index01.htm

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Do you read the language that is on that site? I would be interested in where they got the specimen and how they came to the conclusion that it is p. uniformis. Or is it just a claim?

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cassandra read about the P. uniformis and thought she was going crazy because she couldn't find ANYTHING about this species, so she gave up researching. I'm surprised it came up on this thread, very interesting. Also, Protectyaaaneck, the H. gabonensis we got was a super good deal for what he is ($60CAN), maybe if you can figure out a way to get it across the border, I'm almost definite he has some left. When he made the post it didn't look like too many people jumped on it (which was surprising). His username is CedrikG.

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd love to get my hands on one, but unfortunately I can't import. Until someone who has an importing license imports some I'm going to go without. :(

I'll go ahead and ask Cedrik about them though. Maybe there is a way...

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cedrik is really good, he sent us 5 free roseas with the gabonensis...5! I'm sure there's got to be some way. The thing is super tiny right now...we need a flashlight to see it. We figured for that price we'd be stupid to pass it up. They're beautiful. He wrote a good, interesting article about them.

http://www.bushdrums.com/news/index.php?shownews=1592

deathcrew

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I posted this question before but it got hijacked, how many of you in the US have a Acanthoscurria natalensis? I have a sling that is about 1 1/2".

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
How about Brachypelma Fossorium.Thats 1 I hope to breed this year.

Last edited:

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I would like to see more Sphaerobothria hoffmanni. I had 2 sacs go bad this year, with no other males in sight. Not the most coloful spider, but I have had a thing for them since seeing them in there home country.

Later, Tom

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
I would love to get my hands on A. moderatum, I've never seen one for sale in Canada.

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Kahlenbergi have been imported to the U.S. for many years.Thay came in
mixed up with B. Vagan's.When Vagan imports came in there was thay nice
black Vagans with the long red hair on there abdomen.In the same shipments
there were these dingy,not as dark vagans.Thay had a dark brown to almost
black carapace.Thay looked like a scruffy Vagan.Thay were not Vagans.Thay were Kahlenberi.Back then everbody thought thay were ugly Vagans or the
less disirable form.After a molt thay look nice.But after a couple of months.
There back to looking like a scruffy Vagan again.Thay were finally discribed
a couple of years ago.But thay have been in the hobby a long time.That the
Kahlenbergi story.The old timers of this hobby probably know what i'm talking
about.

Last edited:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Kahlenbergi have been imported to the U.S. for many years.Thay came in
mixed up with B. Vagan's.When Vagan imports came in there was thay nice
black Vagans with the long red hair on there abdomen.In the same shipments
there were these dingy,not as dark vagans.Thay had a dark brown to almost
black carapace.Thay looked like a scruffy Vagan.Thay were not Vagans.Thay were Kahlenberi.Back then everbody thought thay were ugly Vagans or the
less disirable form.After a molt thay look nice.But after a couple of months.
There back to looking like a scruffy Vagan again.Thay were finally discribed
a couple of years ago.But thay have been in the hobby a long time.That the
Kahlenbergi story.The old timers of this hobby probably know what i'm talking
about.
Thay is not a word, but They is.;)

Interesting info though.

Last edited:

burmish101

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Arent P. hanumavilasumica rumored to be hybrid with P. fasciata? Also isnt it hard to tell the two species apart? I thought any in Europe were smuggled stock anyway.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Arent P. hanumavilasumica rumored to be hybrid with P. fasciata? Also isnt it hard to tell the two species apart? I thought any in Europe were smuggled stock anyway.
I thought I read that somewhere, but I can't for the life of me remember where.:?