The rarer breeds - what are they these days, really?

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is it just me or do others think we need more Satellite Rob posts? You have so much info in that big ol brain. I hope in 10 year from now I have half the helpful info Ive seen you posting in the past few days.

spiders4life

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
We are fortunate enough to have an H. gabonensis...there's a canadian breeder who caught a couple when he went to Gabon and brought them back and bred them. He's a tiny little guy..about 1/6" but he's so fast and a great eater.

HMM thats a tiny canadian, but at least he eats well ;P

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I read it some were.I'll try to find it and get back to you.It's like Baumgarteni
is thought to be a hybrid of Smithi and Boehmei.I never said it was proven.I
said thought to be.I think it was from something Herwig Kahlenberg wrote.It
might take some time to find.

Last edited:

jameshay_1uk

Arachnopeon
I've got a Harpactirella lightfooti! I haven't seen them on anyone elses lists so I'm going to assume that they are fairly rare in the hobby!

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Protectyaaaneck is correct, you see L. fracta for sell here on the boards sometimes. There is only 1 A. fracta that I have ever seen for sale, and that wasn't on the boards. I have 4 species that you don't see for sale often and I am considering buying the A. fracta. My 4 unique ones are A. sternalis B. baumgarteni, B. schroederi and C. meridionalis.

Art

seanbond

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Protectyaaaneck is correct, you see L. fracta for sell here on the boards sometimes. There is only 1 A. fracta that I have ever seen for sale, and that wasn't on the boards. I have 4 species that you don't see for sale often and I am considering buying the A. fracta. My 4 unique ones are A. sternalis B. baumgarteni, B. schroederi and C. meridionalis.

Everyone doesnt post their stock on this board

natebugman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What about Lasiodorides striatus? I know its not a highly sought after tarantula at this point, but I've been looking and have found very few as pets and none for sale.

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Art, are you just as confused as I am? I've searched for a while on the baords for a. fracta and all I can seem to find are a few threads, most of them a few years old. Seanbond, who do you know that is selling them?

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah I check the FS section at least once a week, and I have not seen anyone selling an A. fracta. As for the L. striatus they seem to be hard to come by as well(wish I hadn't traded the one I had).

Art

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There's a Canadian dealer who has the L. striatus...3/4" sling for $30..I'm not sure if he still has them, he's been busy with a new baby lately but he did have them back in April.

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've got a Harpactirella lightfooti! I haven't seen them on anyone elses lists so I'm going to assume that they are fairly rare in the hobby!
Although sellers claim it's massively rare, I would say they're only half right. I grew up in South Africa and can honestly say I have come across loads of them. I think due to medically significant bite they possess, few people import them to europe and the states so not many are around hence the 'rare' aspect. I must emphasise that this is just my opinion and not based on factual stuff :)

Out of interest did you get yours from Lee at the spidershop? I see he's selling a couple juvie's currently.

For those interested in South African Ts here's a decent list LINK

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I would ad to the list Ornithoctonus costalis and Haplopelma sp. "Bach Ma"...

Bill

jameshay_1uk

Arachnopeon
Hey there BrynWilliams, yeah I got it from him a month or so back. They are interesting little critters! Mine has made a maze of tunnels with quite a few exit routes. It's very fast and an awesome eater. As you can probably tell I quite like this 1 {D

I only brought up this species because from the few users profiles that I have looked up no1 else seems to have it. So I just came to the conclusion that if most of you guys and gals don't have them, then they're probably not often seen in the hobby!

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey there BrynWilliams, yeah I got it from him a month or so back. They are interesting little critters! Mine has made a maze of tunnels with quite a few exit routes. It's very fast and an awesome eater. As you can probably tell I quite like this 1 {D

I only brought up this species because from the few users profiles that I have looked up no1 else seems to have it. So I just came to the conclusion that if most of you guys and gals don't have them, then they're probably not often seen in the hobby!
You'd be right as well, not many have them :D
What are they like to have though? really reclusive burrowers (you mentioned the mad tunnels) or does it come out a bit? Also is a defensive or more placid?