The proper use of heat mats

basin79

ArachnoGod
I think I get it now, I had the image you posted reversed in my mind. Just to make sure I do actually get it your setup is:
backing insulation, then the probe, then the heat mat, then the enclosure?
Yes. With it being a soft insulation I press it in so the probe just sits a tiny bit proud to ensure its in contact with the heat mat.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I have a question: Do heat mat users use them as a sole supply of heat in a cold room in winter? If so, what about the cold air itself?
I live in a house that has no insulation. While I do have an oil-filled radiator for the room where my tarantulas live, I try not to run it unless it's especially cold. (Resistive heating is not energy-efficient.)

I also spend a lot of time in the room with the tarantulas -- it's where my computer is -- so the room needs to be comfortable for me as well as tolerable for the tarantulas. The problem is that I am "hot blooded" and like to keep the room on the cooler side. Those temps would be fine for most of my tarantulas, but for the ones that need it a bit warmer and/or are against the exterior wall, I sometimes run heat mats as supplemental heat on the coldest days.

My heat mats do not touch any of the enclosures directly, so the tarantulas cannot burn themselves.

Isn’t this why many advocate for room or space heating, rather than heat mats?
IMO, the main reason to heat the whole room is that is easier when you have a larger number of spiders. (Running a couple of heat mats is no big deal, but you probably don't want to rely on separate heat mats for 30+ enclosures.)

Heating the room is also fairly idiot-proof, whereas heat mats need to be used with care.

Reezelbeezelbug

Arachnosquire
That's the right way to put it outside. But you should check inside temp for security.
Absolutely. Full transparency I'm asking for my snake setup and not a tarantula. I've got the probe between the heat mat and the enclosure with my thermostat set to 90F. I have another indoor/outdoor thermometer with a probe into the enclosure that I can monitor to make sure it doesn't get above 85F. The reason I wondered if I could put it on the other side of the heat mat is because the thermostat probe bumps my heat mat away from the enclosure, so if it's on the other side I can get a more flush mounting with better transfer and maybe able to turn my thermostat down, making it less risky of going over 85 inside. Always trying to improve, I appreciate the responses.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Absolutely. Full transparency I'm asking for my snake setup and not a tarantula. I've got the probe between the heat mat and the enclosure with my thermostat set to 90F. I have another indoor/outdoor thermometer with a probe into the enclosure that I can monitor to make sure it doesn't get above 85F. The reason I wondered if I could put it on the other side of the heat mat is because the thermostat probe bumps my heat mat away from the enclosure, so if it's on the other side I can get a more flush mounting with better transfer and maybe able to turn my thermostat down, making it less risky of going over 85 inside. Always trying to improve, I appreciate the responses.
In that case the method basin79 mentioned will work for you. If it's only one probe that reads and controls the temperature like mine, I preffer putting it inside.

Last edited:

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Again that's simply not true if the heat mat is set up right. The vast majority of my enclosures are plastic. This is what I mean about so much misinformation about heat mats.
To each their own

You might have had luck with it but there is no way I would use a heat mat on acryllic or plastic for oh years on an adult T's enclosure. That's asking for trouble no matter what method is used. I never had to use one ever and my T's do incredibly well without them.

If I lived in the artic then I would use them otherwise unnecessary and over hyped.

The better question is if you don't live in artic regions why would one think they have to use heat mats when there are better solutions.

basin79

ArachnoGod
To each their own

You might have had luck with it but there is no way I would use a heat mat on acryllic or plastic for oh years on an adult T's enclosure. That's asking for trouble no matter what method is used. I never had to use one ever and my T's do incredibly well without them.

If I lived in the artic then I would use them otherwise unnecessary and over hyped.

The better question is if you don't live in artic regions why would one think they have to use heat mats when there are better solutions.
Been doing it for 20 years or so. The UK isn't so warm. Also don't you think that's narrow minded? I'm not cold so my tarantulas are fine. Shorts and a vest at zero degrees and I'm personally fine outside during the day. I'm in a vest and shorts 365 days a year unless I happen to get ill. I don't use any heating in the house. My tarantulas would absolutely die if I didn't provide them with additional heat.

Last edited:

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
How cold does it have to get before supplementary heating is required, assuming you don’t just pump up the heating?

Most, if not all of my Ts have an ‘ideal’ temp range of 24C - 28C I believe.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Because some people even can't afford to heat an entire room only for their Ts. In my case, it was ridiculously expensive, between 150-200€ a month in electril bills... Why someone in the same situation like me couldn't use them if done propperly? Heat mat + thermostat 50€ anual electril bill 15€, 15€ vs 1800... It was no brainer for me sorry.

It's better to give a good information about how to use them propperly, that directly to say that they won't work, that you are going to kill your Ts... because people without a propper information will kill their ts, with or without heat mats.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Been doing it for 20 years or so. The UK isn't so warm. Also don't you think that's narrow minded? I'm not cold so my tarantulas are fine.
Maybe but IMO it's overkill. Why put a heat mat on every enclosure rather than just heating the room up?

If it works for you then great. There's no rulebook on how someone absolutely has to keep tarantulas warm minus at the bottom of the enclosure. Just as long as warmth is given.

Tarantulas are incredibly adaptive more so that what humans give them the credit for. Narrow minded would be if I kept my T's in the low 60's high 50's all through winter, which gets pretty cold here too. If I did that then it would be inconsiderate and some wouldn't survive all through winter.

I'm not attacking you on heat mats I just wouldn't use them for years on end on plastic or glass. I have a better way that works for me. If I lived in Antarctica or the North Pole then it's heat mats and heating the whole room, double downing.

Because some people even can't afford to heat an entire room only for their Ts. In my case, it was ridiculously expensive, between 150-200€ a month in electril bills... Why someone in the same situation like me couldn't use them if done propperly? Heat mat + thermostat 50€ anual electril bill 15€, 15€ vs 1800... It was no brainer for me sorry.

It's better to give a good information about how to use them propperly, that directly to say that they won't work, that you are going to kill your Ts... because people without a propper information will kill their ts, with or without heat mats.
I never said they are going to kill your T's, not once. Even if a method works for using heat mats on plastic I would/do not trust any method for years on end for adult tarantula enclosures.

Again unless you live in the middle of the artic or a jungle where shipping doesn't exist it is redundant using heat mats instead of heating the room. Many options exist for supplemental heat sources without turning up your furnace or electric house heat.

If you can afford, (given one purchased alot of T's instead of breeding) then one should be able to afford to heat their home. If one cannot provide the means of properly taking care of animals then one should not own any animals. You can choose to live in a freezing home and you can still purchase a heating device for your animals. So your logic makes no sense.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I never said they are going to kill your T's, not once. Even if a method works for using heat mats on plastic I would/do not trust any method for years on end for adult tarantula enclosures.

Again unless you live in the middle of the artic or a jungle where shipping doesn't exist it is redundant using heat mats instead of heating the room. Many options exist for supplemental heat sources without turning up your furnace or electric house heat.

If you can afford, (given one purchased alot of T's instead of breeding) then one should be able to afford to heat their home. If one cannot provide the means of properly taking care of animals then one should not own any animals. You can choose to live in a freezing home and you can still purchase a heating device for your animals. So your logic makes no sense.
And what happens if you live in a good rented house and you are forced to leave like me? You throw your ts? Or should I pay 10-20% of my salary to heat a room alone... You don't know the story behind every person, so you can't say so easily there are other methods, because maybe, there isn't.

Here the electricity is absurdinly expensive compared to the base salary. And maybe in another places of the world they even couldn't afford a electric heater and even less to pay such montly bills. You are denying to those people to have Ts? While they can keep them using heat mats if done properly? Not every body wants hundreds of Ts, so why somebody has to heat all the room and pay such bills for one or two Ts instead of heating the enclosure alone for almost nothing? Tell me one reason. Or do you believe oil heaters or any other heaters don't pose any risk at all? Because do you know they decrease the RH right, do you? And depending on your climate and how do you keep yout T... My avic is deaad...

Here where are discussing the best methods to heat an enclosure using a mat, because if done propperly, they don't pose any risk to the T at all.

If you preffer other methods, to each their own. But don't come and say heat mats are worse than other methods, because every methods has its disadvantages.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
And what happens if you live in a good rented house and you are forced to leave like me? You throw your ts? Or should I pay 10-20% of my salary to heat a room alone... You don't know the story behind every person, so you can't say so easily there are other methods, because maybe, there isn't.

Here the electricity is absurdinly expensive compared to the base salary. And maybe in another places of the world they even couldn't afford a electric heater and even less to pay such montly bills. You are denying to those people to have Ts? While they can keep them using heat mats if done properly? Not every body wants hundreds of Ts, so why somebody has to heat all the room and pay such bills for one or two Ts instead of heating the enclosure alone for almost nothing? Tell me one reason. Or do you believe oil heaters or any other heaters don't pose any risk at all? Because do you know they decrease the RH right, do you? And depending on your climate and how do you keep yout T... My avic is deaad...

Here where are discussing the best methods to heat an enclosure using a mat, because if done propperly, they don't pose any risk to the T at all.

If you preffer other methods, to each their own. But don't come and say heat mats are worse than other methods, because every methods has its disadvantages.
I'm not denying anyone anything that's absurd. If I was in a situation similiar to yours or worse then I would find a suitable home for my animals period. That goes for any animal I have because their well being is more important to me than my want and that's called responsible pet/animal ownership. If heat mats work for you then that's great. My point is that I do not nor will ever use heat mats.

Again to each their own and before this thread goes nuclear let's just leave this at a stop.

You use your heat mats and I never will use them on my adult T enclosures and that's the end of it.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I'm not denying anyone anything that's absurd. If I was in a situation similiar to yours or worse then I would find a suitable home for my animals period. That goes for any animal I have because their well being is more important to me than my want and that's called responsible pet/animal ownership. If heat mats work for you then that's great. My point is that I do not nor will ever use heat mats.

Again to each their own and before this thread goes nuclear let's just leave this at a stop.

You use your heat mats and I never will use them on my adult T enclosures and that's the end of it.
I'm not using them anymore, we bought a new house.

I don't see the point of not being responsible or not wanting their well being by using the heat mats, if done correctly it is as safe as not using them in a good climated house.

I don't know what kind of trauma you (all) have with heat mats 😂😂😂😂

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I'm not using them anymore, we bought a new house.

I don't see the point of not being responsible or not wanting their well being by using the heat mats, if done correctly it is as safe as not using them in a good climated house.

I don't know what kind of trauma you (all) have with heat mats 😂😂😂😂
Arghhhh 🙄

In all honesty if you don't have 100 to 200 T's then a bathroom and a $10 little space heater works great through winter, believe me I know lol.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Arghhhh 🙄

In all honesty if you don't have 100 to 200 T's then a bathroom and a $10 little space heater works great through winter, believe me I know lol.
So you are saying that a bathroom with all the chemicals of the shampoos, not to mention if you wash your dog... and the saturated hair is beter than a mat... Ummm interesting 😂😂😂😂😂

10$ space heater, how little you value your life... 😂😂😂😂

I'm joking, or not... 😎

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
So you are saying that a bathroom with all the chemicals of the shampoos, not to mention if you wash your dog... and the saturated hair is beter than a mat... Ummm interesting 😂😂😂😂😂

10$ space heater, how little you value your life... 😂😂😂😂

I'm joking, or not... 😎
Soap, shampoo, no chemicals and no dog hair have no impact on my T's, believe it. They in fact molt more frequently and eat more through winter than summer.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Your Ts are broken for not using a heat mat. Admit it 😂😂😂 poor little thing earing you "singing"... Omg

Let's don't derail the post again... 😉

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Your Ts are broken for not using a heat mat. Admit it 😂😂😂 poor little thing earing you "singing"... Omg

Let's don't derail the post again... 😉
Maybe........🤪

One of them definitely wants to bite me as she has displayed. However I use to be married so I'm used to it.

GrandeAssiro

Arachnopeon
Don't know if this is the right place but I have a question: I have two C. cyaneopubescens and I know that those cuties need a dry and warm environment (40% humidity with a range of 20°/30° celsius).
I live in a city where winters are quite moist and chilly -2°/18° celsius with a humidity of 70% / 86% on average.
In my house I am used to have around 20° and I am absolutely comfortable with that.
I was thinking of getting a low power heat mat and a couple of small silica bags to place outside the enclosures to keep a stable and comfortable microclimate.

Do you think it could be a good idea? I am an absolute beginner...

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Don't know if this is the right place but I have a question: I have two C. cyaneopubescens and I know that those cuties need a dry and warm environment (40% humidity with a range of 20°/30° celsius).
I live in a city where winters are quite moist and chilly -2°/18° celsius with a humidity of 70% / 86% on average.
In my house I am used to have around 20° and I am absolutely comfortable with that.
I was thinking of getting a low power heat mat and a couple of small silica bags to place outside the enclosures to keep a stable and comfortable microclimate.

Do you think it could be a good idea? I am an absolute beginner...
No.

At that temp I wouldn't worry too much. Regarding sillica bags, eh no. They remove humidity from the air, and could create really bad situations. 80% of humidity at -2°C contains way less water than 50% at 20°C, so maybe your house climate is drier than their original one, keep in mind that even if they are from a arid location they have a constant water source due to morning dew. You don't need to chase any specific humidity numbers, a "excess" of humidity wont kill them unless you have a very bad ventilation, the lack of it could dry faster a molting T, or dehydrate a T if they are not kept properly.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
If your room temps are regularly below 18°C in the winter and heating the room isn't an option then a heat mat placed on/against the side of the enclosure above substrate level and away from the tarantula's hide is fine provided you control it with a thermostat (tape the probe to the surface of the mat so that it doesn't exceed the desired temperature) and monitor it regularly.

Don't even worry about humidity, the percentages found in care sheets are nonsense and chasing magic numbers is a good way to kill tarantulas, once C. cyaneopubescens pass the sling stage they're fine on bone dry substrate with a water dish.