The Official Malaysian Jewel Appreciation Thread (pics I hadn't posted)

thebugfreak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
actually all the pedes i got was for myself. i dont show my pedes and such to my friends because most thinks that arachnids are disgusting and whatnot. so they are just in a special room for them, and they are only admired and looked at by me. :p

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
They get very massive, but (at least in my humble opinion) not easy to raise.
Wonder how steep the prices would go if someone imported those pedes in U.S.

I bet something over $230.
And - I consider them as way more rare in hobby than "common" hardwickei.
Finally hardwickei don't have massive transporting problems while jewels do. Descending from the cameron highlands is usually a climatic shock for jewels.
And - finally - Malaysian Jewels are endemic to Cameron Highlands while hardwickei can be found throughout India, Nicobar, Andaman & Sri Lanka.

Cheers
Turgut

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Your post made me think some Turgut. The hobby perspective is more emotional and visual on the surface, ...I'm not saying that the hobby perspective is shallow, but that the hobby perspective can encompass all depths of interests. But, I think it does include some people that only choose to take the hobby in a shallow way, not that that is bad at all, that's fine. It is a little disappointing to me that it seems some professionals let their ego keep them from being associated with a "hobby" forum.

Last edited:

AF Exotics

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They can actually occur in another locality ,with obvious color variation .I have a good idea,as I was the one who brought the one Ken had into the U.S.
They are quite the rare occurrence in the wild .

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My guess is that they are common in their range but people aren't there to observe they are there.

VinceG

Arachnobaron
This pede is just AMAZING! :drool:
Really nice specimen jurgen! :clap: