The least desireable species...

Sana

Arachnoprince
True. My G rosea is fairly active, and since I gave her the ping pong ball she seems to "play" a lot. She is rarely in the same place if you check on her. But when I first got her, she was more of a pet rock then. Lately, she is psycho/pre-molt or something, and doesn't even like her water dish refilled. I used to open whole enclosure lid to refill dish -- I would have a couple paper towels to dry out old water and then refill with fresh -- hand in tank -- no concerns. But lately I am using oral syringe to refill it at a slight distance, due to her threat postures. I think her abdomen looks darker and it is definitely plump, so probably just pre-molt (which could be 6 months away for this breed). She's definitely fasting right now, which again, means nothing. lol
Mine's substrate is deep enough if she wanted to dig her own burrow. But I am glad she out in the open so I can enjoy her more.
Mine is certainly not an individual that I would use my hands for maintenance with. She thinks she's an OBT or something. Slight disturbance=attack as though life depended on it.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Mine is certainly not an individual that I would use my hands for maintenance with. She thinks she's an OBT or something. Slight disturbance=attack as though life depended on it.
Yeah, which is the point others were making in not recommending G rosea for beginners.
I didn't know that when I bought mine, and would be lying if I said I regretted the purchase -- I do adore her.
But many sites on the internet do indicate this breed is extremely docile and w/o any danger to keeper.

So, yeah, I touched her, without testing temperament first when I got her. I held her w/o checking temperament first few times I held her also. And yes, I did enclosure maintenance with bare hands, sometimes she'd even walk over and see what I was doing. I didn't know she could bite, because I believed she was the gentlest beginner species ever so I never took her as a serious threat.
I'd be lying if I said I was afraid of her now, but I do test temperament first before maintenance. And I am more respectful of her space and her capabilities now.

I wish I had joined this board much sooner. Live and learn. I am thankful I haven't had to learn with bites or escapes. But I consider that luck, not my skill.

Anyway, I get now that this is what makes expert keepers so angry with newbies. Not just with OBTs but any species . I get it now.
(not that this is directed at you, but someone new considering this species)

Sana

Arachnoprince
Yeah, which is the point others were making in not recommending G rosea for beginners.
I didn't know that when I bought mine, and would be lying if I said I regretted the purchase -- I do adore her.
But many sites on the internet do indicate this breed is extremely docile and w/o any danger to keeper.

So, yeah, I touched her, without testing temperament first when I got her. I held her w/o checking temperament first few times I held her also. And yes, I did enclosure maintenance with bare hands, sometimes she'd even walk over and see what I was doing. I didn't know she could bite, because I believed she was the gentlest beginner species ever so I never took her as a serious threat.
I'd be lying if I said I was afraid of her now, but I do test temperament first before maintenance. And I am more respectful of her space and her capabilities now.

I wish I had joined this board much sooner. Live and learn. I am thankful I haven't had to learn with bites or escapes. But I consider that luck, not my skill.

Anyway, I get now that this is what makes expert keepers so angry with newbies. Not just with OBTs but any species . I get it now.
(not that this is directed at you, but someone new considering this species)
I absolutely agree all the way around. This species is so often played up as super calm and great for beginners. I knew that they had a reputation for being temperamental before I got any tarantulas. I don't remember where I learned that. It definitely makes me cringe to hear any species recommended as always being docile. I have a number of slower, calmer species, and not one of them is ALWAYS docile.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I absolutely agree all the way around. This species is so often played up as super calm and great for beginners. I knew that they had a reputation for being temperamental before I got any tarantulas. I don't remember where I learned that. It definitely makes me cringe to hear any species recommended as always being docile. I have a number of slower, calmer species, and not one of them is ALWAYS docile.
Very true.
I will say, given that I got my G rosea for overcoming arachnophobia, that her original easy temperament and docility went a long ways towards helping me overcome my fears.
That's why I bought an OBT, I felt "ready." Yeah, um, probably not.
It has only been quite recently rosie started threat-posturing.
Had she shown her true wild nature in the beginning, I would still be an arachnophobe (and probably bitten too).

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had a lady at a pet store tell me how fast their rose hair could move. It was hard not to burst out laughing.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I had a lady at a pet store tell me how fast their rose hair could move. It was hard not to burst out laughing.
lol
That lady probably had nothing to compare to.
Or, maybe their rose hair does that "bolt a couple inches, stop, bolt a couple inches, stop" and in her mind she figured it could boogie pretty fast if it wanted.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was just now giving my Poecilotheria rufilata some water, and I accidentally dripped a little water on it. Talk about fast. The thing was gone and back in its hide in the blink of an eye. I'd love to see her reaction to that.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I was just now giving my Poecilotheria rufilata some water, and I accidentally dripped a little water on it. Talk about fast. The thing was gone and back in its hide in the blink of an eye. I'd love to see her reaction to that.
After an underwear change and some nitro under the tongue, she'd have been fine!

I am putting pokies on my least desireable list -- they rock and are gorgeous but they are way above my skill level.

awiec

Arachnoprince
After an underwear change and some nitro under the tongue, she'd have been fine!

I am putting pokies on my least desireable list -- they rock and are gorgeous but they are way above my skill level.
They are one of those genus that you need to wise up quick if you have them. They will take off with no warning and there is little you can do to stop them or you get the really "spirited" ones like my P.metallica; she will threat pose like no tomorrow if you even look at her wrong. Last week my bf was near her cage and talking and she decide to strike the side of the cage repeatedly until he left the room. I truly think that the aboreal T's have better vision than we give them credit for as she only gets defensive when my bf is near her cage.

Last edited:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
They are one of those genus that you need to wise up quick if you have them. They will take off with no warning and there is little you can do to stop them or you get the really "spirited" ones like my P.metallica; she will threat pose like no tomorrow if you even look at her wrong. Last week my bf was near her cage and talking and she decide to strike the side of the cage repeatedly until left the room. I truly think that the aboreal T's have better vision than we give them credit for as she only gets defensive when my bf is near her cage.
As long as all this drama remains inside the enclosure -- sign me up -- send me a pokie! They are gorgeous.
My fear is that the drama may not always remain contained.
Just what I need, a super fast T with good vision on the loose. lol

awiec

Arachnoprince
As long as all this drama remains inside the enclosure -- sign me up -- send me a pokie! They are gorgeous.
My fear is that the drama may not always remain contained.
Just what I need, a super fast T with good vision on the loose. lol
I just assume that she is planning to get out so I am not surprised when she bolts, you get really good at putting the lid down after owning them for a while.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
they can be very fast. all spiders can move faster than we can - even Grams and Brachys. They just aren't as prone to bolting as OW and arboreals, since they have the hairs as defense.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I just assume that she is planning to get out so I am not surprised when she bolts, you get really good at putting the lid down after owning them for a while.
To be fair, advice given here elsewhere is that you don't "catch" them anyway (you can't)'; you wait until they stop and calm down, and then you plan their recapture.
Made sense to me and made it seem more do-able.... one day.

---------- Post added 02-13-2015 at 12:41 AM ----------

they can be very fast. all spiders can move faster than we can - even Grams and Brachys. They just aren't as prone to bolting as OW and arboreals, since they have the hairs as defense.
True. Esp a male right after being paired! :eek:
But in general, I like to play the better odds. I am going to plan my future T purchase decisions based on norms for species and not hope for an anomaly.
Who knows, my next new world terrestrial may really give me a hard time, run fast and bolt often. But hopefully not.

awiec

Arachnoprince
To be fair, advice given here elsewhere is that you don't "catch" them anyway (you can't)'; you wait until they stop and calm down, and then you plan their recapture.
Made sense to me and made it seem more do-able.... one day.

---------- Post added 02-13-2015 at 12:41 AM ----------

True. Esp a male right after being paired! :eek:
But in general, I like to play the better odds. I am going to plan my future T purchase decisions based on norms for species and not hope for an anomaly.
Who knows, my next new world terrestrial may really give me a hard time, run fast and bolt often. But hopefully not.
If you can prevent the spider from taking off in the first place I prefer that option. After I rehoused my p.regalis something in my mind told me she was going to bolt so as I was grabbing the lid she started running up the sides and by the time she got to the top the lid was secured. She tapped the lid a few times then went back to her hide, this all happened within a minute and I did not end up with a loose spider and she did not get hurt.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
If you can prevent the spider from taking off in the first place I prefer that option. After I rehoused my p.regalis something in my mind told me she was going to bolt so as I was grabbing the lid she started running up the sides and by the time she got to the top the lid was secured. She tapped the lid a few times then went back to her hide, this all happened within a minute and I did not end up with a loose spider and she did not get hurt.
Absolutely prevention is best.
My original concerns were the "what if" type and it was reassuring to know you don't have to catch a fast bolter, you can wait for it to calm and get still, and then recapture. Guess I figured I needed superhuman speed, hadn't considered the "wait" option. lol
But avoiding escape in first place: best!

awiec

Arachnoprince
I used to have my spiders in a very cluttered room so if a spider took off I was never going to find it so I would catch it as fast as I could BUT in most cases you will just want the spider to tire itself out.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Prevention is always the preferred method. But that doesn't always work. For me it's best to catch them early in the process. There's too many shelves, cages, and supplies in my spider room to be moved for me to wait for them to stop.

Sana

Arachnoprince
Absolutely prevention is best.
My original concerns were the "what if" type and it was reassuring to know you don't have to catch a fast bolter, you can wait for it to calm and get still, and then recapture. Guess I figured I needed superhuman speed, hadn't considered the "wait" option. lol
But avoiding escape in first place: best!
You get really good at quickly and gently closing the enclosure when working with fast spiders that are prone to bolt. I sure did. Keeping a "hide" near where you're working also helps in the case of escape. With a little luck, the spider goes to the hide you placed and stops moving thinking that it's safe while the recapture is planned and executed.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
You get really good at quickly and gently closing the enclosure when working with fast spiders that are prone to bolt. I sure did. Keeping a "hide" near where you're working also helps in the case of escape. With a little luck, the spider goes to the hide you placed and stops moving thinking that it's safe while the recapture is planned and executed.

+1. 'Gentle' is a big part of it doing it right. If you slam things shut and are rough in general, spiders will get injured and even killed. It's not worth it.