The least desireable species...

annanlove19

Arachnosquire
Not that it matters so much, but I really like G. rosea/porteri too. I love the purple starburst, and their general shape. I'm a sucker for big terrestrials :p

I'm not super interested in Psalmos, though maybe I just haven't seen the right one yet. And I have a very black and white relationship with pokies: either I'm obsessed (fasciata, metallica, regalis) or I couldn't care less.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Again, I "vote" rosies and OBTs are great Ts. The earlier comment above about branching out into more sophisticated species, "big world out there" & naming these 2 as common beginner ones; well....
Right now, I have 2 everyday, cheap, common run-of-the-mill cats, but I enjoy them a lot. They may be a dime a dozen (actually less, when I do home visits, people are always trying to force free unwanted kittens and puppies on me) but I love my two plain old grey tabbies. And I am aware of amazing rarer cats like Bengals and Ocicats. In the past, I have had registered pricey pedigreed persians; but I loved them no more than these 2 common cats.

Just saying common and cheap (or beginner) doesn't diminish the T owning experience any, imnsho.

Ultimately, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Again, I "vote" rosies and OBTs are great Ts. The earlier comment above about branching out into more sophisticated species, "big world out there" & naming these 2 as common beginner ones; well....
Right now, I have 2 everyday, cheap, common run-of-the-mill cats, but I enjoy them a lot. They may be a dime a dozen (actually less, when I do home visits, people are always trying to force free unwanted kittens and puppies on me) but I love my two plain old grey tabbies. And I am aware of amazing rarer cats like Bengals and Ocicats. In the past, I have had registered pricey pedigreed persians; but I loved them no more than these 2 common cats.

The relationship with cats, and dogs, is vastly different than with spiders. It's a two way relationship. There's no comparison.

archaeosite

Arachnosquire
The relationship with cats, and dogs, is vastly different than with spiders. It's a two way relationship. There's no comparison.
In your opinion. I think Ellenantula's post was spot on.

Perhaps we'll have to agree that people's opinions and feelings about take
their spiders are as varied as the spiders themselves. ;)

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Of course. So I have this tank full of beautiful cheap freshwater fish I got at WalMart (not really, I am lying) but there is a big world out there, and I only think I am enjoying my WalMart fish because all the expensive salt-water varieties would astound me, and if I could only understand that then I could be you!

Let's argue my original point:
beauty is in the eye of the beholder
which you left out of your quote of me.

Seriously, I think you have an amazing collection of Ts, but we're not all where you are in the hobby and that doesn't diminish our complete and utter joy in the Ts we do have.

I wish you'd remember back to the (used to be common) WC Brachy you started with,

Truthfully, whole thread is opinion anyway.

scott99

Arachnoknight
g rosea are soooooo boring. they never eat and they never molt. Do not get one , get a LP.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Seriously, I think you have an amazing collection of Ts, but we're not all where you are in the hobby and that doesn't diminish our complete and utter joy in the Ts we do have.

I wish you'd remember back to the (used to be common) WC Brachy you started with

All I'm saying is that if you're fascinated with roseas, you'll be beside yourself when you go further into the hobby and own some of the active and industrious species that are constantly digging and spinning all kinds of architecture.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
All I'm saying is that if you're fascinated with roseas, you'll be beside yourself when you go further into the hobby and own some of the active and industrious species that are constantly digging and spinning all kinds of architecture.
lol. No, not fascinated. Attached to, enjoying, proud of, sentimental towards rosies -- yeah. Even I can't say I find them fascinating, at least not with a straight face.
But first Ts hold a special place in our hearts.
Was mostly agreeing with others here who like rosies and OBTs -- beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

One day, I probably will have some fascinating and rarer Ts, but will still defend rosies and OBTs.

Peace!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
But first Ts hold a special place in our hearts.
Was mostly agreeing with others here who like rosies and OBTs -- beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

OBT's are not a beginner species, and that's an ongoing problem.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
OBT's are not a beginner species, and that's an ongoing problem.
I tend to agree on OBTs, based on personal experience.

G rosea was my first T -- OBTs got brought into this thread quite a few posts back, hence my mentioning them both.

Recap:

Originally Posted by Rowdy Hotel
I happen to love G. rosea and P. murinus.
Originally Posted by Poec54
You really need to see more tarantulas.
Originally Posted by Rowdy Hotel
Simply because I love these two?
Originally Posted by Poec54
Because there's far more interesting tarantulas. You've settled on two of the common species that appeal to beginner. There's a whole big world out there.
Fave and least fave T opinions will always vary from keeper to keeper. Keeps the forum interesting.:cool:

Peace!

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OBTs might be common in the hobby, but they're a far more interesting species than G.rosea/portei.

Rowdy Hotel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I tend to agree on OBTs, based on personal experience.

G rosea was my first T -- OBTs got brought into this thread quite a few posts back, hence my mentioning them both.

Recap:

Fave and least fave T opinions will always vary from keeper to keeper. Keeps the forum interesting.:cool:

Peace!

I had a long rebuttal written as to why someone shouldn't be labeled a beginner simply because they loved G. rosea and P. murinus (not a species I'd recommend to a beginner in all reality) since there are several reasons for why someone could love or dislike a certain species, this thread, after all, was about which species were least desirable, not least interesting.

I've always had an affinity for native species when it comes to tarantulas, fish, snakes, insects, and plants. I include Canadian and Mexican species as natives seeing how there is no difference between northern Mexico and the southwest other than some geo-political boundary that we've created.

In fact, I destroyed all non-native vegetation and trees on my property and planted only natives in an effort to re-create the landscape that once was. This is one reason for my affinity of Brachypelma and Aphonopelma. That and the fact many make very good captives due to their docility.

That doesn't mean I don't appreciate exotic species: I have over 100 tarantulas with many species that others would deem more "interesting" that an G. rosea and P. murinus due to them being more rare, industrious, ravenous, active, better-looking, or what have you. I just don't see them as more "interesting" or "desirable".

As I was proof reading my rebuttal; crossing my T's and dotting my I's, I stopped and asked myself "Why am I doing this?" I decided I didn't care all that much and erased it all and just wrote this.

Frankly, I wish all my T's had the appetite of my G. rosea,:biggrin: it would allow me the time to have many more and I wouldn't have to have so many roaches around as I spend more time maintaining them than I do on my spiders.

Bottom line, least desirable: Big, brown tarantulas with bad urticating hairs.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I have over 100 tarantulas with many species that others would deem more "interesting" that an G. rosea and P. murinus due to them being more rare, industrious, ravenous, active, better-looking, or what have you. I just don't see them as more "interesting" or "desirable".
We certainly don't look for any of those qualities in spiders we'd call interesting or desirable either. Who wants a spider that's beautiful, rare, active, industrious, and a good eater, when you can have a rosea instead!

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
We certainly don't look for any of those qualities in spiders we'd call interesting or desirable either. Who wants a spider that's beautiful, rare, active, industrious, and a good eater, when you can have a rosea instead!
Well, I'm convinced. Maybe I can trade her to someone (along with ten bucks) for a badly housed but more interesting T.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
you're assuming your taste is the taste of everyone else.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
you're assuming your taste is the taste of everyone else.
I was just quoting the guy. Not sure what he looks for in selecting tarantulas, as he excluded just about everything the rest of us find desirable:

"that others would deem more "interesting"... due to them being more rare, industrious, ravenous, active, better-looking, or what have you. I just don't see them as more 'interesting' or 'desirable'."

It wasn't clear what criteria he uses in picking out a spider.