The least desireable species...

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ephebopus are fairly easy to care for in my experience.

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
Ephebopus are fairly easy to care for in my experience.
I'm thinking about giving these a try in a year or so once I've gotten a bit more experience with my current collection. They're beautiful, and from everything I've read about them around here they seem like interesting Ts to keep.

cold blood

Staff member
I'm thinking about giving these a try in a year or so once I've gotten a bit more experience with my current collection. They're beautiful, and from everything I've read about them around here they seem like interesting Ts to keep.
I thought you were giving up on "swamp dwellers"...lol

yeah, I hate that term as well, poec;)

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They're the true definition of a pet hole, but they're worth it when you get to see them. My E.murinus and E.cyanognathus are probably the two species I have which I can say are strictly nocturnal.

awiec

Arachnoprince
They're the true definition of a pet hole, but they're worth it when you get to see them. My E.murinus and E.cyanognathus are probably the two species I have which I can say are strictly nocturnal.
You get some variation, I see my E.murinus out every night, which I suppose is not the norm. Not particularity hard to care for either.

Medusa

Arachnoknight
I'm not overly interested in pokies. (I have a P. regalis. Feel kinda neutral about him.) When visiting my favorite breeders/dealers I just scroll through the pokie section when I'm considering my next acquisition.

Rowdy Hotel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It seems many of my most desirables are also many peoples' least desirables :biggrin:. Oh well, to each their own.

I happen to love G. rosea and P. murinus.

Availability has a lot to do with how much people want certain species and I try not to factor this into my decisions on which to get. There are many docile terrestrial tarantulas that are more "desirable" than my A. chalcodes , for the simple and only reason that it is less common. G. rosea is mass imported and so cheap you can buy an adult female at a chain store for less than $20. Should G. rosea get CITES protected tomorrow, all of a sudden they would be 4X as expensive and would find themselves on a lot more peoples' must-have list, exactly how it was with P. imperator.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Simply because I love these two?

Because there's far more interesting tarantulas. You've settled on two of the common species that appeal to beginner. There's a whole big world out there.

Last edited:

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
P.murinus is great for those who can handle it. G.rosea/ portei, not so much.

archaeosite

Arachnosquire
I'm not overly interested in pokies. (I have a P. regalis. Feel kinda neutral about him.) When visiting my favorite breeders/dealers I just scroll through the pokie section when I'm considering my next acquisition.
I'm the same way. To me they're not worth the potential risk of bite or escape, especially because I live in an apartment complex. (And yes, I understand that risk can be managed. I still don't think it's worth it, for me.) I also don't find their body/leg shape particularly appealing. Psalmos are so much cooler. :)

Rowdy Hotel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Because there's far more interesting tarantulas. You've settled on two of the common species that appeal to beginner. There's a whole big world out there.
They're only considered less interesting because they're so common and inexpensive.

archaeosite

Arachnosquire
They're only considered less interesting because they're so common and inexpensive.
Right? I had only a G. porteri for eight years and she provided loads of fascination. Friends and family love her. Even my arachnophobic gf likes to watch her feed. They may not be flashy but they have charm and spunk.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
And mostly because there's many other species much more interesting. Do you want to progress beyond the beginner phase?

---------- Post added 02-08-2015 at 09:18 PM ----------

Right? I had only a G. porteri for eight years and she provided loads of fascination. Friends and family love her. Even my arachnophobic gf likes to watch her feed. They may not be flashy but they have charm and spunk.
Kind of a low energy species, which they have to be in their habitat. In comparison there's more entertainment value in some of the active and industrious tropical species.

Last edited:

gobey

Arachnoknight
And mostly because there's many other species much more interesting. Do you want to progress beyond the beginner phase?

---------- Post added 02-08-2015 at 09:18 PM ----------

Kind of a low energy species, which they have to be in their habitat. In comparison there's more entertainment value in some of the active and industrious tropical species.
I gotta agree.

My G. porteri is special to me because she was my first. And because she gives me attitude. But she does nothing at all when I'm not interacting with her directly.

Conversely. My Lasiodora parahybanas, which are still a plain colored spider. Are very active and always entertaining. My largest one is quite industrious and frequently amusing.