The beast

CHLee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Acanthophrynus coronatus
Damn these things grow fast, over 1.5inches body length now, got them in June smaller than my pinky nail. Sure deserve their title of the worlds largest whipspider.
IMG_4681.JPG IMG_8881.JPG IMG_8884.JPG

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
So these ARE in the U.S.!!!! Awesome! Were they kept communally? Where'd you get them? Do you have any available? :D Sorry, I just made a thread a couple weeks ago or so asking why Acanthophrynus coronatus aren't in the U.S. hobby and seeing them here is exciting.

Last edited:

basin79

ArachnoGod
That's some growth. And they're bloody stunning. Really, really, really like the look of those. A 2ft cube would look nice with a few of those scurrying around.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Fantastic creatures! Thanks for sharing! Do these tend to be fairly shy, or are they among the bolder amblypygids?

CHLee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So these ARE in the U.S.!!!! Awesome! Were they kept communally? Where'd you get them? Do you have any available? :D Sorry, I just made a thread a couple weeks ago or so asking why Acanthophrynus coronatus aren't in the U.S. hobby and seeing them here is exciting.
I have them all seperate, not in a few years, they're at breedable age right now but I'd let them put on more size before I do anything else
Fantastic creatures! Thanks for sharing! Do these tend to be fairly shy, or are they among the bolder amblypygids?
All my amblys are in pretty bare tanks, half an inch of sub and a piece of styrofoam, like how Gil houses his, so they're always out in the open no matter what, but these and heterophrynus don't seem to try to squeeze themselves between the styrofoam and the container, unlike the phrynus, Damon and paraphrynus and euphrynichus I have

CHLee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Awesome amblies!!! :astonished: Let me know when you have offspring. ;) How does the Stygophrynus cf. longsipina compare in size to the others?
Smaller body, biggest one is about an inch in body length, but almost double the legspan and whipspan

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
cool!, finally El coronatus. It's a little strange to me that they have been so hard to find in the US since they are next door in Mexico. What's the biggest whip you've had? Do you think this will be it?

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have them all seperate, not in a few years, they're at breedable age right now but I'd let them put on more size before I do anything else

All my amblys are in pretty bare tanks, half an inch of sub and a piece of styrofoam, like how Gil houses his, so they're always out in the open no matter what, but these and heterophrynus don't seem to try to squeeze themselves between the styrofoam and the container, unlike the phrynus, Damon and paraphrynus and euphrynichus I have
Good to know! I have a couple of Damon diadema in Gil-style styrofoam enclosures too. Mine don't seem to try to hide, (maybe the styrofoam sheet is too thin for the attempt to be worth it?) but it is nice that H. coronatus does not appear to be shy.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I'm so glad these species are in the US. Large whip spiders--D. medius, A. coronatus, and E. bacillifer--plus Stygophrynus...I salivate a bit every time I look at this thread :D

CHLee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
cool!, finally El coronatus. It's a little strange to me that they have been so hard to find in the US since they are next door in Mexico. What's the biggest whip you've had? Do you think this will be it?
I have an old female diadema I have for a couple years which I got as an adult with the same body length, but these grew from pinky nail size to 1.5-2inch beasts in less than 6 months, gonna let them grow for another year before trying to breed them, but yeah these should be the biggest ones, with heterophrynus being more leggy, these are bulkier

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Do they seem pretty hardy? I'd like to see pics later when you think they are full grown.