Thai Tiger V.S Thai Zebra

nemesis6sic6

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't really know what to choose(concidering this would be my first terrestial Old world T) They all look very nice and interesting
I chose these over a cobalt blue because blue isn't really a color I like but in the future I'm sure i'll buy a cobalt!,
any suggestions would be appriciated
any experiances with these?
any pics?
any thing else I should know so I can get convince to buy one or the other?

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

i would go for the thai zebra since they are sold more uncommonly, plus they look cooloer than the thai tiger, tiger is mainly black w/chevrons and some lighter colors, while the zebra has nice look white stripes on a black to light black body, temperment wise they are the same defensive haplopelmas:) you can also keep them the same, deep moist soil, 70-80 degrees, high humidity, bu of cousre the thai tiger is a great bargain and they look pretty good too(evil suckers,lol)--Jeff

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
If you're talking H. schmidti vs H. longipedum, I'd pick the gold form of the H. schmidti..

Bill

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

not sure but i think she means thai zebra(H. albostriatum), lol i would take a chinese gold tiger over mos haps anyday well maybe except a true H. minax adult female, maybe...

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
I gotta agree with Martin and Volker on this one.. common names are NOT for Haplopelmas.. I could search for 'thai tiger' and come up with probably 3 or 4 different species.

Bill

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

yeah its confusing to me sometimes...
do you mean thai tiger(H. sp. "longipedum") is'nt that veitnam tiger? and the thai zebra(H. albostriatum) thailand edible? is this what you were asking about --Jeff

Haploman

ArachnoEarthTiger
Old Timer
bah on the common names

I hate the use of common names but heres the list with common names and scientific names associated with them . scientific names first

1.) cyriopagopus paganus/ haplopelma sp?"longipedum"-- thailand tiger
2.) haplopelma albostriatum-- thailand zebra
3.) haplopelma minax-- thailand edible
4.) haplopelma sp. "aureopilosum"-- burmese black
5.)haplopelma schmidti-- chinese golden earth tiger
6.) haplopelma sp?-- chinese black earth tiger

but anyway I still hate the use of common names, its just way too confusing. If you wanna feel like a n00b use the common names lol ;P

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I saw what they were calling a "thai tiger" at the local pet store today, but it looked like a male from what I could see in it's cup... They haven't put it in an enclosure yet so my view was limited, but it sure looked like it had palpal bulbs, and it had what looked like stumps where something like a G.rosea would have its spurs.
Also, it was a very light coloration, more like the thai zebra has been described in this thread. They are selling it for $30. It looked to be (estimated since it was in a cup) about 5" legsapn or so. Very pretty... If I were not 98% sure it's a male I'd have snapped it up on the spot!

Question: Does these species HAVE tibial spurs, and if so are they known to be blunted or short like this? Also, is there a definitive color difference between males and females?

Also... can someone PLEASE post a pic of a Thai Tiger? I can't find it on birdspiers.com.

Last edited:

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If, by "Thai Tiger" you mean Haplopelma sp. "longipendum"/Cyriopagopus paganus then here is my adult female

Pre-moult:

Post-moult:

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Quite similar, but this one has distinct "zebra" striped legs, almost like a skeleton tarantula. The overall color is a medium brown, and the stripes are almost cream colored. I twitched a few times, found myself counting my money, then went back and got it! :? Still trying to figure out why I bought the thing, knowing it's not long for this world, being a mature male and all, but it is unique, and was only $30, so I decided "what the heck!". The closest I've been able to find in pics is H. Schmidt, but that also lacks the stripes this one has.

Anyone got a pic of a "Thai Zebra"?

edit: I seriously need to save my $ for a good digital camera!!!:(

Haploman

ArachnoEarthTiger
Old Timer
hey

telson,
yes they have tibial spurs sorry I have no pics. but all species in the haplopelma genus do have tibial spurs that I know of.
Most common species that are sold in the pet trade are Haplopelma Lividum, Haplopelma albostriatum, and Haplopelma sp. "longipedum" and Haplopelma sp "aureopilosum"

Haplopelma Albostriatum - males are brown "uglier than females" indeed the have the papal bulbs and tibial spurs. I think they do have the stripes down the legs get with Martin Huber about this, if it does have the stripes down the legs it is a albostriatum- thai zebra
Haplopelma sp "aureopilosum-- males indeed have the papal bulbs and tibial spurs on the tip of the legs are black

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Few on this board could give you a 100% ID on a mature male of any Haplopelma sp. Volker might, but there are some even he said are indistinguishable (subspecies)

Bill.

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Telson
Quite similar, but this one has distinct "zebra" striped legs, almost like a skeleton tarantula. The overall color is a medium brown, and the stripes are almost cream colored. I twitched a few times, found myself counting my money, then went back and got it! :? Still trying to figure out why I bought the thing, knowing it's not long for this world, being a mature male and all, but it is unique, and was only $30, so I decided "what the heck!". The closest I've been able to find in pics is H. Schmidt, but that also lacks the stripes this one has.
Anyone got a pic of a "Thai Zebra"?
A tibit of trivia: albostriatum translates to white and striped.
Here's a pic of a specimen of Haplopelma albostriatum. An exceptionally white specimen no longer in my collection.

Attachments

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
BINGO!!

That's the one, alright! Looks almost exactly like that, just a bit lighter. Thanks. Definately a mature male also.

nemesis6sic6

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey Old thread

WHat a newbie I was then huh?

yeah I meant albostriatum V.s "longipedum"

I personally think Albostriatum is so nice, I love this species. This is my first Haplo.

Any ways, I hope every one buys one, they're not easy to find. Though, I think mine is weird. Instead of creamy white stripes they kind of look gold, I can't post a pic, but I can try to borrow my cusins camera, tomarrow and you guys can see what i'm talking baout. This only happens in certain light though.

any ways have a nice day

geo

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Telson
BINGO!!

That's the one, alright! Looks almost exactly like that, just a bit lighter. Thanks. Definately a mature male also.
And if it's a mature male, it could well be an H lividum - this is Ray Hale's matue male.

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That crossed my mind, but this store gets "cobalt blue" T's fairly regularly and I think it would have wound up listed under that common name, and it's MUCH lighter than the males I've seen of this species. I'm 98% sure it's Haplopelma albostriatum. If anyone knows any dealers who have mature females in stock, please PM or email me.

BTW: I really appriciate everyone who's posted, thanks for the help and especially for the pics. They are great.

Theraphosid Research Team

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Re: bah on the common names

Originally posted by Haploman
I hate the use of common names but heres the list with common names and scientific names associated with them . scientific names first

...4.) haplopelma sp. "aureopilosum"-- burmese black...

but anyway I still hate the use of common names, its just way too confusing. If you wanna feel like a n00b use the common names lol ;P
Hi,

I also hate common names. It doesn't matter if a Speciman has a common or scientific name, if it is wrong identified, no one knows of what you are talking about!
The funny thing is, that the Spread Area of Haplopelma sp. "aureopilosum" is mainly in south Thailand (Area round Hua Hin to Krabi in the south!) and not in Burma.

Cheers, Volker

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have owned a H. albostriatum, it is a very nice T, feeds well, stays outside its burrow more than my lividum. But, it just molted into a male, so if anyone is interested in that let me know.

Andy

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Volker & Haploman:

I totally agree in regard to common names, and yes, even had this one been listed with it's scientific name it still would have been wrong. It's frustrating that this goes on in these stores. It's like walking in to a guitar shop and having some doof try to sell you an Ibanez while calling it a "Warlock" (wich is actually made by BC Rich, not Ibanez, for those of you who just got confused). :rolleyes: